Diploma in Professional Photography (DiPP) - inst.org

What modules the iPad for?

I'm on the third assignment (second photographic) and was going to grab my sons Woody (toy story) doll and shoot him at various angles in various locations.

What modules the iPad for?

I'm on the third assignment (second photographic) and was going to grab my sons Woody (toy story) doll and shoot him at various angles in various locations.

That's the same module in on. I hadn't realised I could use something/one not living! That'll make it a lot easier so i can get back to it now.

That's how I've read it anyway. I took "a subject of your choosing that you are able to move" to mean any object other than your house or a landscape item. I.e something you can put in different locations, not necessarily something with moving parts.
I could be wrong!

I'll email my tutor and ask but now you say it, it does make sense and I can't see why not.

Hi all,

I don't normally post on forums, but I thought, as I'm taking the DiPP and am also up to the third assignment, I might as well get involved! I've certainly not completed as much of the course as I had intended by this point (signed up in October). For the first photography assignment I had it fixed in my mind at an early read through of the module that my friend, who is a tattoo artist, would be a great subject. Turns out trying to arrange to sit in with them while they are tattooing takes a lot of time (first lesson learnt!). Still awaiting my tutors comments and grade on that one, but in the meantime I've progressed onto the next module/s.

I've read the requirement for assignment 3 in much the same way as Derek, in that it is something you can put in different locations. I was planning on shooting my car, it's not a special make or model, but I thought I could experiment with locations, lighting (time of day/night as well as a form of light), depth of field etc trying to utilise all of the information that was contained within this and the previous module.

Just having to wait for some half decent weather now!

From what I've read so far (trying not to read the modules in advance!), I've really enjoyed it and it's been nice to go back to the basics of photography with some of the exercises in these early modules.

My take on the meaning of that module is that you can take photos of virtually anything as long as you can put it in different scenarios, be it a car, an ipad, a pen, as long as its not a landscape or portrait etc. Looks like you just need to demonstrate an ability to think about ways to present a subject in different surroundings and at different focal lengths etc.
Will find out soon enough as I am planning on shooting mine this weekend:)

I appreciate that you get out of this kind of course what you put into it but I'm seeing more and more people struggling with subject matter or time (or both).

I was going to have a go at this course myself but am concerned I may hit some of the brick walls that some of you are hitting. I've wasted money on courses in the past and am dubious whether to actually pay the money or not...

Hey justin.
I think subject matters just a matter of people worrying about what they have chosen and not having any direct classmates to consult ( which is where this thread comes in useful)
I panicked for near on a month about the first photographic assignment but as soon as I emailed my tutor with my concerns she allayed my fears and told me I was massively overthinking things.
As for time.... The course is designed to be complete in your own time. I personally struggle with time just because I play house husband and always have 2 pre school kids to deal with.
I attempted to shoot part of the third assignment yesterday and because they never had my full attention my 2yo thought it'd e a great idea to draw all over my dining table and chairs with pen.... So I find it easier to wait for the two mornings a week she's at playgroup.... And the weather plays fair...,, and I've planned something....,and nothing else is happening! I'll get there eventually but part if te reason I signed up was I knew there would be no time constraints!

I would mirror what Derek says above. I have been a little lazy lately with Christmas, family things, work and kids etc but am now skimming over the last few sections to refresh myself and planning my next assignment. I'm in no hurry which is where this course suits well:)

For those struggling with ideas for assignment 3. When I finally figured out what to do for mine and submitted it, my tutor stated in his reply that he personally thinks the assignment isn't worded very well and covers too many aspects all in one go. He also said that everyone struggles with ideas for it due to this. For what it's worth, what I came up with was taking a willow tree figurine of a couple and placing it in different surroundings to change the overall impression you got from each image. I think that's the key... make the viewer think differently about the object in each shot due to the surroundings, or how it's used in the frame.
I'm still to finish the portrait module, got a few shots done before Christmas but still got a few more to do. Now the holidays are over and everything is back to normal I hope to get it finished soon.

Hello guys,
Great thread! I've read through the majority of it ,with the intention of enrolling to the course.

I'm a former serviceman with the ability to use enhanced learning credits for this course. I am into portrait and landscape drawing and i know my creative thinking would enjoy the freedom of the photography world. I will be doing it for personal development and life satisfaction with intentions of earning money from photography. After all in my eyes the world revolves around money so everybody is looking for more. I wont be giving up my day job as part of the ambulance service though.

A few quick, probably frequently asked questions:

What is the course length range of individuals on this thread?

What are your current opinions on the course whilst working through it?

What are your recommendations towards a beginners affordable DSLR, (will try finance £250-£450 range )

Thankyou will look forward to constructive replys.

I stated the enrollment process her but didn't commit to buy.I was curious to find that an outfit calling itself the Photography Institute had contacted me offering half price courses, I'm wondering if they are connected in some way? The website addresses are different, not that that means much...hmm.

Hey lucasroy,
Course length is what you want it to be. I started in November and I'm just about to start my module 7 assignment and I would say I've not been making great progress.
I'm really enjoying the course. Paying the money gives such a good incentive to get on and get things completed and the structure and format make things easy.
Like I said in an earlier post I find some if it a bit basic but for the complete beginner this will be a good thing.
I won't suggest a camera, but my entry level sony a230 is more than adequate for the courses needs. There's a million other threads for starter dslr but I don't think I'm qualified to comment.

Re the Module 5 assessment, I aced it! My tutor said of my assignment "
Lots of creative and clever ideas here. This is an easy grade A." I am buzzing! Well chuffed
Onto the much talked about tourism assignment now which I've already planned :)

I stated the enrollment process her but didn't commit to buy.I was curious to find that an outfit calling itself the Photography Institute had contacted me offering half price courses, I'm wondering if they are connected in some way? The website addresses are different, not that that means much...hmm.

Steve, they are actually different courses yeah.

Sorry pressed send by mistake! Hopefully I'm a better photographer.... I contacted the Blackford centre to speak to someone about this course. Having seen the "team" listed on the About us page, I asked the girl who answered the phone if I could talk to Sarah. I was told that Sarah no longer worked there. I asked to speak to Kit, who was at lunch? I asked to speak to Angela, who also no longer worked there in fact everyone I asked to speak to who is listed as a Senior team member no longer works at the Blackford Centre. The person I spoke to sounded very flustered and unsure as to what to say. I found this all very unsettling as previous comments say that this company has changed its name in the past, has moved to a new location and the team listed as working there on there website does not exist? Strange somewhat and raises more questions than answers. Further investigation shows that this company provide all sorts of courses rather than being a market leader in photography.

I studied this course in 2008 and passed (with merit) in January 2009. I really enjoyed it and it gave me the confidence to pursue a career as a professional photographer. I'm now approaching my 5th anniversary as a pro.

Really enjoyed reading this whole thread, now thinking about studying this sometime this year.

hi all hope everyone is getting on well with the course! Im stuck at the moment and looking for some inspiration from others that have completed module 22, the photojournalism one! im really struggling to think of something to do, just wondered what other people have submittted for this assignment any help would be great!

ASSIGNMENT 5: SUBMIT FIVE VERSIONS OF THE SAME PHOTO

For folks stuck on Assignment 5 I attached my submissions so you have an idea whats actually expected. The subject should be an object which is the same in all five photos, each photo should be different, the subject remains the same & only the scene changes. Use different angles, lighting, focal lengths, DoF, etc (the things covered in previous modules ;)).

These are for guidance not critique (y)

View attachment 5677 View attachment 5678 View attachment 5679 View attachment 5680 View attachment 5681

Lol - I got a Danbo specifically for this assignment:)
Planning on shooting it next week whilst off work.

I have no intention to turn pro but I struggle to see the point in these courses. As so many photographers are self employed now thay surely its your portfolio that matters?

What can't you see Phil? There are plenty of decent photographers who like to take the challenge of one of these online courses. If the course is any good there will be plenty to either learn or brush up on and its also a good way of getting some constructive feedback on images submitted. I see no problem in people wanting to better themselves by doing these courses.

Andy

What can't you see Phil? There are plenty of decent photographers who like to take the challenge of one of these online courses. If the course is any good there will be plenty to either learn or brush up on and its also a good way of getting some constructive feedback on images submitted. I see no problem in people wanting to better themselves by doing these courses.

Andy

That me be so that people like a challenge but so many online courses arent worth the paper there written on (not sayin this one necessarily) and as photography is so subjective nothing is to say that feedback recieved will be anymore correct or useful than that gained on here. Its alot of money to part with to brush up on info so easily available which again brings us to the only difference... the paper you recieve at the end... how many people need this and is it worth the time/money when clients really just want to see a sample of recent work?
Obviously its upto the individual if they wish to do a course

Hello all. I am seriously considering this course and found this thread on Google search. I am going to follow with interest!

Lol - I got a Danbo specifically for this assignment:)
Planning on shooting it next week whilst off work.

Same here, once it was clear what was needed from the assignment I got straight on Amazon! I always really liked the Danbo photos people posted on the web so was fun playing around, took a lot of photos in various scenes ... most didnt really work, they needed more "planning" in advance, still I might take him along on a few bike rides when the weather is better and also when we go away camping.

Hope you get some great shots!

Thank you so much for this thread! I have been researching which online course to enrol in, and decided that this is the best course for me. As much as online training has its benefits, I am a tangible learner that needs to highlight, scribble and take notes, hence why I think (plus your amazing updates Greg!) this one is the way to go :)

Contemplating signing up for this as I have some training vouchers to spend. Looks really interesting and good to hear real reviews.

Woo hoo - Finally have done assignment 5:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Taken me soooo long (sorry for the overuse of smilies but I feel it appropriate here:))

Congrats on all the great marks folks. I've resigned myself to the fact I'm not going to get enough time to do any assignments until next year now, which is good ... as I'm not longer stressing about having to get them done. Busy busy!

Good work everyone, keep it up!!

Pretty much same here - super busy now for the foreseeable future

I'm still yet to do the first photographic assignment. Life's been so busy over the past few months but I need to pull my finger out.

What did everyone use as their subject for this first one?

I did my boys having a horse-riding lesson. Used various angles and focal lengths.
I think the assignments are very open to interpretation though and pretty much any subject matter goes:)

I would agree that the module assignments are very much open to interpretation.

For the first photographic assignment I simply shot my wee boy riding his bike in a local park. Some riding shots, some close ups and some posed. I had originally tried kids making bead bracelets, and another of my stepdaughter doing some of her dance class moves. When I emailed my tutor to explain some problems I was having she told me that I was over-thinking/over-complicating it and just to simplify it. She drastically put me at ease over the subject matter.

Back