Disassemble Softbox?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I have Piaxpro softboxes which came with this set
https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/pixapro-citi600-manual-battery-powered-twin-flash-kit/

Was a pain to assemble, now I figure I'd try disassembling them for transport.

Didn't know how best to do it, so I found an online video which shows bending the rod opposite the one you want to take out - so I tried that and it ripped the softbox thread a good few inches.

Any advice on how I should do this without destroying the softbox?

Ok managed to do the second one by face it down onto the floor and putting some pressure on the mount downwards and pulling the rod out with force.

I take it those are traditional soft-boxes where the rods come out completely? They are a pain in the backside tbh. Fine if you have a permanent setup, but for a portable kit, the ones that open like an umbrella are much btter suited - they go up in under a minute with practice. I fold them down with the diffusers still in place (just detached from a corner so I can get my hand into the "deflate" button).

For traditional softboxes I think you've discovered the best way - speedring on the floor, and then grasp a rod by the speedring end and pull it out (bending it in the process). Some softboxes, have an open corner with a flap of fabric that closes over the rod end and attaches with velcro. If you have this, do this corner last: put this rod through the open corner, and put the other end in the speedring. Then pull the flap so the end of the rod is now where it needs to be in the corner, and then pull the flap over the end of the rod and attach it to the velcro. To disassemble, release the tension in the box by pulling this strap off first.

It's a rite of passage, wrestling with a softbox :p That and folding pop-up reflectors...

Last edited:
I have some giant pop-up backgrounds, so have mastered those now :)

Kodiak has also shown me the technique now, so I should be good! (edit it seems I will need to practice)

Last edited:
That and folding pop-up reflectors...

When my boys were at the age and size to handle these,
I felt like a magician for a few seconds as they looked at
me popping them out and twisting'm back in…

Sure enough, they got the hang of it quickly and that was
the "coup de grâce" to my magician ambitions… if any!

I have Piaxpro softboxes which came with this set
https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/pixapro-citi600-manual-battery-powered-twin-flash-kit/

Was a pain to assemble, now I figure I'd try disassembling them for transport.

Didn't know how best to do it, so I found an online video which shows bending the rod opposite the one you want to take out - so I tried that and it ripped the softbox thread a good few inches.

Any advice on how I should do this without destroying the softbox?

I'm sure you were advised against this kind of basic softbox ;) They're designed to look good in a bargain kit bundle, not for putting up and down.

Yes, practise helps, but you'll still cuss them everytime (always impresses clients that) and will rip a corner sooner rather than later.

I'm sure you were advised against this kind of basic softbox ;) They're designed to look good in a bargain kit bundle, not for putting up and down.

Yes, practise helps, but you'll still cuss them everytime (always impresses clients that) and will rip a corner sooner rather than later.

Well I got the bundle first :) I will get some easier kit!

Back