Disco light help

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
:confused- Im using the camera the equipment below trying to take shots of the disco lights in a club, the trouble im having is they either come out blurry or too light/dark, what settings would you use and why.
Thanks for looking.

Mark

try taking some of the 150 filters off :D

Difficult to advise mate without knowing exactly what you're trying to do, but I'm guessing light levels are very low, so assuming focus is correct, your unsharp shots are probably down to a slow shutter speed, so it seems to point towards using a tripod?

As for metering, if the lights are the main subject of your shots, then meter off the lights and bracket either side. Once you've got a good exposure you should be OK for the rest.

the trouble is that the lights are flashing on and off and all over the place,
some are strobing others are static, i am using a tripod, i'll post some of the pics up but they are very poor.

Boon the clue is in the whole sentence... NEVER USED...
nice try though:clap:

this one is with flash

this one is with the flash bounced of the celing

this one with out flash

It looks like you need to ditch the flash, but go for a long exposure to get some light trail type effects?

Yer i know what you mean CT, i was hope not to get the trails in the shot but i starting to think thats the only way i'll get my shot,
maybe more smoke.
Thanks CT

Alternatively you could take a number of exposures (kind of like time lapsed bracketing) and try to overlap them if you dont want trails - afraid you would have to ask someone else how to doe this though as its beyond my Photoshop skills.

see there you go with those big words again (photoshop)

Try a star filter if you have one in that collection of yours. :) They're usually great for shots like these.

Thats a good idea, i'll try that, with all the other help iv been given here and hopefully its something that can be used,
cheers guys

I've taken a few shots of lasers, and find that the more smoke the better. I think it give the shot more perspective and depth, otherwise it can leave the image looking a little flat.

Smoke could be useful as at least then you'll get beams of light rather than just points.

That will make any multiple shot blending much harder though. It might be an idea to try and get the shots from a crowded gig as well. Then you'll get the lights falling onto something. Perhaps with a little movement from dancing people in the shot you'll capture some more of the atmosphere.

As above really dude, If you are gonna et steady, sharp shots of the lights then you're gonna need to use either a very high ISO or a tripod. The amount of light they give out is quite low, although they seem quite bright the bursts are only very short.

I guess it depends on what you are shooting them for. Artistic stuff, or just to document them?

ok iv tried again,
what do you think?

couldnt get the hall, so frontroom jobby.
not good but a tad better than the last lot.

Reminds me of War of the Worlds and the heat ray;)

Massive difference - first two are nice and distinct, prefer the lack of smoke in the second shot though:)

"prefer the lack of smoke in the second shot though"
so did the mrs
thanks Warspite.

hope to do better when i get down the hall

A whole heap better, now take them from behind the mixing desk so you can't see the cable trauma!

(i Dunno SOME people are never happy ;) )

lol Gandhi take another look, its in my front room and i cant get behind the decks, thanks for the encourgement.

Looking much better, although I would probably under expose them a bit to bring the colours out more and try and make the background disappear.

I took some similar shots last year of my housemates lasers, I'll post them later when I get home.

Here are some I took, they were shot @ 1/4sec f/2.8 iso 100

Only resized and the second one is cropped slightly, no other editing.

Lasers1.jpg

Lasers2.jpg

Back