Discolouration on focus ring

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a lens and due to locations cannot hold it until I've bought. I've noticed some discolouration on the focus ring and wondered if anyone else has seen this before and could offer an explantion as to what has caused it and more importantly is it likely to affect the images or is it just cosmetiic. The seller says it's been in its case for a couple of years and not been used and he has no idea what has caused it. Images taken with it look clean and there are no marks showing on them.
Thanks for any suggestions.
sigma.jpg

It's only cosmetic - and won't affect the lens in any way. I see it a lot in Malaysia - a humid country - a combination of weather conditions, and some say salt from sweat react with the rubber ring discolouring it white. Once it's gone this far it won't easily go back to black. You can get it replaced but it's not cheap. It is purely cosmetic though, and won't affect the lens operation.

Last edited:
Thank you Sky, that's really helpful. I did think it would be but it's a lot of money (to me) just to take the gamble.

Thanks also for the links

Thanks cymruchris, that's great. I thought that was the case but was confident someone on here would have come across it before and know for sure.

Back