Displaying our cameras

Name
Francesco
Edit My Images
Yes
Have any of you found any good ways of having your beautiful film cameras on display somewhere in the house in a way that is safe (ie not at risk of falling off a shelf or similar), does the camera no harm (ie avoiding dust and worse still dampness and the like), and most importantly for me keeps them accessible (they are not ornaments, they are tools, albeit ones that are nice to look at)? It just strikes me that it's a bit of a shame to keep them all hidden away when some are almost works of art in themselves.

As it happens, I was in Ikea recently and bought one of these light cube things, which is being modelled by my rather gorgeous (if I say so myself) F2AS below. I'm not sure I'm going to keep it in here...the kids want the box to put their Lego creations in, just food for thought.

7415-1410272436-845157617c04db62abce53cdadbbb341.jpg

They're not that cheap (£25) unfortunately either: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80219622/

...though they do double up as soft lighting!

Last edited:
I looked at one of them last time I was in Ikea and couldn't think of anything cool to do with it but that's a pretty good idea.

Thanks. I actually was thinking it might be nice for lenses (rather than hiding in a bag). Do you think it'd be OK?
Don't see why not, as long as there are no dampness issues anywhere nearby. It's probably better for them than being in a bag in the dark, though the main reason for doing that is to give them some UV exposure (to minimise fungal growth opportunities), which would be limited here since the UV from natural light is probably mostly filtered out by the plastic. But they'd still get some UV there, so I'd say yes, better than in the dark still. Lenses might also look rather good with light shining through them (just having the lens on the front of the camera as in my photo makes nice reflections off the lens coatings).

IKEA do quite a good three section glass cabinet

I do not have a good image of it, the following is the best I can do

cabinet.jpg

I hope that you have still kept them Steve, would be a shame to spit them up

Kept them and added to them!... and use them.

Steve.

I try, get a film … shoot part of it …… hangs around …….. shoot to the end ……. never remember what's on it …… have it developed ……….. then I realise how crap I am and think that I have just wasted £10 ish

Some supermarkets here in France still develop film for you ……. so it's not that difficult to shoot film, (of course they still sell film)

Last edited:
a few of my smaller cameras hang on the wall in my spare room/office/dump, suspended by their carrying straps from picture hooks, inbetween framed photos. I could say it looks quite smart in a casual sort of way, but as there is a lot of clutter in the room I'm too embarrased to take a photo to show you all.

a few of my smaller cameras hang on the wall in my spare room/office/dump, suspended by their carrying straps from picture hooks, inbetween framed photos. I could say it looks quite smart in a casual sort of way, but as there is a lot of clutter in the room I'm too embarrased to take a photo to show you all.

Sounds good, though we'll have to take your word for it ;).

It can't happen

Its a filthy war as it is without adding camera displays to it

The Clutter Treaty, signed by both parties in the year of our Lord 1999 states that scented candles, pebble bowls, pot dogs, misc china vessels and all manner of other hideous collectious displays, be banished to the loft.
Although cameras are not specifically noted in the treaty, its a fairly fluid document easily ammended.........especially if its plastic plants or gdamn novelty teapots....

its a war I tell ya......WAR

I do like the Ikea boxes and the cupboards with the the massive collection in them!

It can't happen

Its a filthy war as it is without adding camera displays to it

The Clutter Treaty, signed by both parties in the year of our Lord 1999 states that scented candles, pebble bowls, pot dogs, misc china vessels and all manner of other hideous collectious displays, be banished to the loft.
Although cameras are not specifically noted in the treaty, its a fairly fluid document easily ammended.........especially if its plastic plants or gdamn novelty teapots....

its a war I tell ya......WAR

You can always use them as paperweights .. as they are quite heavy

Nikon_f.jpg

You can always use them as paperweights .. as they are quite heavy

To do that would pave the way for the re-deployment of the pot dog swarm, in the guise of useful paperweights.
No empty horizontal surface would be spared, you wouldn't want that on your conscience would you ?

nope, in use or in a cupboard, its the only way

Last edited:
To do that would pave the way for the re-deployment of the pot dog swarm, in the guise of useful paperweights.
No empty horizontal surface would be spared, you wouldn't want that on your conscience would you ?

nope, in use or in a cupboard, its the only way

They are also good as table decorations, and cheap too

EE.jpg

GAH !

that bowl of......stuff........contravenes the treaty, I see you've had to make a compromise.....lol

GAH !

that bowl of......stuff........contravenes the treaty, I see you've had to make a compromise.....lol

They are have no political leanings and will associate with anyone and are just happy "hanging" around

you can put them down anywhere and just pick them up when you fancy a little fondling therapy

M3.jpg

Last edited:
Some nice ideas for displaying so far - I've only x1 35mm camera so far (OM10) with another on the way so will watch this thread for ideas as my collection no doubt increases over time :D

Back