Captive Displaying Ruff

…never seen that bird before!
thanks for the première!

Wonderful. You'd hardly believe the transformation these birds have into their breeding plumage. This is one of the captive one at Slimbridge, I assume? We saw them a couple of years ago when there were two males in the full rig. One was definitely dominant and was displaying to anything that moved....or didn't. The other was sneaking a quick little fluff up when he thought the dominant one wasn't watching. The interaction between the two was fascinating to watch.

Wonderful. You'd hardly believe the transformation these birds have into their breeding plumage. This is one of the captive one at Slimbridge, I assume? We saw them a couple of years ago when there were two males in the full rig. One was definitely dominant and was displaying to anything that moved....or didn't. The other was sneaking a quick little fluff up when he thought the dominant one wasn't watching. The interaction between the two was fascinating to watch.

Yep the Shore Birds pen Jan ... and the two males were exactly the same :D

Nice shots Roger, I find the sharpness in the bird a little "coarse" .......... and I find Nikon greens and the yellow influence needs pulling back a little saturation-wise ........... but those are just my preferences

Grass pretty accurately represents what was there Bill but I do sometimes need to pull back the yellow in vegetation ... I prefer a bit of sharpness, sometimes it works well, sometimes less well :)

Grass pretty accurately represents what was there Bill but I do sometimes need to pull back the yellow in vegetation ... I prefer a bit of sharpness, sometimes it works well, sometimes less well :)

It is pretty green out here - we have had lots of rain and it's warm .. grass needs cutting very 2 or 3 days

It is pretty green out here - we have had lots of rain and it's warm .. grass needs cutting very 2 or 3 days
Same here ... at this site you couldn't see out of some of the hides for the growth of reeds and other stuff!

A startlingly beautiful plumage on that male Roger - but he can pull the girls ;)

Russ
Thanks Russ ... I think he thought he was a bit special but the girls seemed to have a distinct lack of interest. :D

Back