Disposable Razors.

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
I used to use Gillette Blue 2 (with swivel head) but they seem to have changed them and instead of a single blue colour body they now have a slightly different two colour body and they seem blunt to me. I don't think it's my imagination as I thought the old ones were pretty sharp and I got a pretty good shave and the odd small cut for my trouble but since getting these new ones I have to go over and over to get a half way decent shave and haven't cut myself once so that seems pretty conclusive to me... the new two tone ones aren't as sharp as the old single colour ones.

I've tried ASDA's own brand ones which are also two tone but slightly different and they're about the same.

Am I going mad? Is my stubble getting more difficult or are these new razors just not sharp????

I hate shaving at the best of times and shaving with these new blunt ones isn't helping...

Is anyone else suffering blunt disposable razors?

What are you guys finding to be the best?

Last edited:
I found that the cartridge type were better than disposable - Gillette fusion for me. I did try Lidl which was loads cheaper but found after the first couple of shaves I was cutting loads and pretty much don't with gilette

I've used the Lidl cartridge ones for years, they work just fine for me. Mind you I wet shave once a week and electric the rest of the time.

I have to shave every day and TBH I could shave twice a day :( I'm blessed with lovely soft skin and very tough stubble :( If I don't shave I look like a werewolf PDQ.

I have an electric one but I've never found them as good as a wet shave.

Dunno what's happened to the new Gillette Blue 2's. Maybe they're made by someone new, whatever, they just aren't as sharp as the old ones so I'll have to find something else as getting shaved with these is like trying to shave with a butter knife.

Last edited:
I've used Mach 3's for ages and the disposable ones heads fit the old handle, so I buy the disposables, throw away the handle etc.
Still seem to have to hack away during my daily shave (what a pain) despite being quite fair haired but I suppose at 62 my stubble could be quite rough. Dad has just bought an electric shaver and thinks its very good, he's 88 and been shaving quite a while :) so his stubble is a little tough!

Had a beard for 35 or so years - no cuts!!!

I used Gillette G2 cartridge for years (not the same one obviously :D ) & got a good close shave. Recently though changed to Superdrug's own brand, which are just as good but much cheaper. (possibly work out cheaper than disposables?)

I'll have a look at the suggestions.

I've always thought those multi blade ones look too big... but I'll have to try something as the ones I have at the mo are rubbish.

I'll have a look at the suggestions.

I've always thought those multi blade ones look too big... but I'll have to try something as the ones I have at the mo are rubbish.

Yeah I agree, the 3,4,5, .... 10 bladed ones don't work for me.

I like twin blades that I can get in around my nostrils. :D

Last edited:
Bin those multi blade things and do like @neil_g and myself.

Go old school and get yourself a Double edge safety razor, my choice is a Merkur 23C and Merkur blades. Razor about £28 and blades about £28 for 50 blades or about a years worth of shaving.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Merkur-23C...53867&sr=8-1&keywords=merkur+safety+razor+23c

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/3609303187...=9046451&device=c&campaignid=857333952&crdt=0

I switched a few years ago. No more razor burn, and I don't nick myself very often. Takes a little getting used to but I'd never go back to multi blade cartridges that constantly blocked, really bad razor burn and blades that last 2 or 3 shaves.

My dad used to use these but when he tried one of my disposables he said they (the disposable) was sharper... but I suppose it's all down to the blades.

I'll have to try something new...

Last edited:
It's down to blades with DE safety razors too. I have tried a few. Good old Wilkinson Sword blades and Astra cut my face to ribbons. I stick to Merkur because they are sharp and smooth and don't rip my face to bits.

Worth doing some YouTube research.

I've been wet shaving since my teens, and I'm in my 60s, so getting on for 50 years of this ritual!

I used a DE safety razor with Wilkinson or Gillette blades for donkey's years and still have a couple of them, including a pre-war one my old man gave me. They work well, but I've been using a Mach 3 for quite a while and I think it's better. The blades are expensive, but I've started using the Wilko ones - which fit the same handle - and they seem just as good for about half the price. Good shave, when you use plenty of hot water and a decent shaving soap, and you have to be pretty careless to nick yourself. With a safety razor, you only need to be a little bit clumsy...:D

Moved on to Braun Electric shavers since my hand started to shake. I was using more blood than stubble.
since last year have had a Braun 5040s
as has now my son in law since trying mine.
shave clean as a whistle... deals with hairy ears too.
I get 25 shaves out of it between recharging.

Used Bic for many years, but my beard is very tough and only got one shave from a razor.
Tried loads of electric ones, Philips three head ones were good until I blunted the blades and replacements were pricy.

Then I used a Braun foil type, not bad, but very time consuming hence the charge didn't last long.
Finally settled on a Philips One Blade, not exactly smooth as a babies backside, but it's ok.

Either that or look like quite a few blokes I see these days that appear to have escaped from an Amish village

I used to wet shave with disposable cartridges (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/412Tj5FBoUL.jpg) and whilst I liked it to an extent, their came a point where I couldn't be arsed to carry on. I took the plunge and I got a Philips One Blade and honestly, I've never looked back. Since I've decided to clean up my image, I'll be investing in a Braun Series 9 soon enough. The Philips is good for the heavy trimming and the Braun just polishes everything.

I used a Gilette Fusion some time back and honestly, it was no better than my cartridge razors. It may have been my technique but I reckon their overrated.

Cheap disposable razors just rip my face to shreds, better off spending a little more and getting a decent shave.

It's down to blades with DE safety razors too. I have tried a few. Good old Wilkinson Sword blades and Astra cut my face to ribbons. I stick to Merkur because they are sharp and smooth and don't rip my face to bits.

Worth doing some YouTube research.
I must say I've not had any issues with the Wilkinson sword blades once I got used to them. Had some cheap Chinese blades that were atrocious though.

Let’s me get a very sharp line, took a few months practice and be able to use comfortably, quite a fiddle to start off.

Fair play, can I ask, why do you use this as opposed to a trimmer ?

I bought a Braun Series 9 shaver today and these are my initial views after it's first use. I figured I'll go easy so I used my Philips One Blade to get the heavy growth off. I then pulled out the Braun and it was a joy to use. My facial skin has never been this smooth after a shave and this includes shaving with my Braun Series 7 although admittedly it probably needed a new blade. Thankfully it has a cleaning station with it and from the many of the reviews I've read, many tend to use it infrequently to give the shaver a good cleaning so they can prolong the cleaning liquid. I'm thinking of potentially having a wet shave next with the Series 9. Top notch shaver. Would Recommend.

I gave up with cartrdige type razors as the price was getting ludicrous...bought an old school safety razor, some "Feathers" blades and a badger brush...

I get 10 blades for 3.50 and the shave is the best shave Ive ever had.....

Interesting that this subject comes up on here as well as on a watch forum I frequent. I have been using Gillette Mach 3 and 3 Turbo for years. But recently these blades do not seem to be as keen or as long lasting as they used to be.
And in light of this I am seriously considering moving over to a DE razor instead. I do have a three headed Phillishave, but that does not give me the smooth clean shave I am looking for and takes far longer to use than when I wet shave.
I am looking at purchasing either the Jagger or the Merkur - haven't decided which yet - but am tending to steer away from the Feather blades as I have read that these can cut you to ribbons!!!

Feather and Astra blades cut me to hell. Have a watch of a guy who calls himself Geofatboy on youtube he's done some great tutorials. He's a Wally but good, I learnt a lot from him.

I shelled out for a DE razor, shave bowl, Badger brush ( better than bristle or synthetic ) some decent shave soap and shave oil and the most important thing an Alum block to stop the nicks.

It was expensive to start off with but 5 years on I have still got all but the soap and pre shave oil.

Would never dream of using multi blade razors or electric again, both gave me raging shave burn and ingrown hairs. It takes me no longer to do two passes than trying to fell the trees with a multi blade that was forever clogging.

All in al I spent less than £100 to get me going including a years blades so was worth it. I prefer Merkur blades now as they suit me best.

I find that as I get older my stubble gets tougher. Best blades for a comfy shave are the Lidl cartridges, but for a close shave I've just taken to using the 2 blade disposable Gilletes in a plastic packet. They get destroyed and blunt fairly quickly and are just as good as the expensive Mach XYZ.

I find that as I get older my stubble gets tougher. Best blades for a comfy shave are the Lidl cartridges, but for a close shave I've just taken to using the 2 blade disposable Gilletes in a plastic packet. They get destroyed and blunt fairly quickly and are just as good as the expensive Mach XYZ.

I did think about this but the transition from being reasonably happy with my disposable Gillette razors to being thoroughly unhappy the Gillette butter knives was from a packet of the old solid blue ones to a packet of the new blunt two tone ones, I don't think even my stubble evolves that quickly to be the cause. I assume Gillette have changed supplier, factory or something...

I haven't decided what to try next yet.

Feather and Astra blades cut me to hell. Have a watch of a guy who calls himself Geofatboy on youtube he's done some great tutorials. He's a Wally but good, I learnt a lot from him.

I shelled out for a DE razor.........

Thanks for information about Youtube - I had a look at some of his videos this morning - as you say he is a bit of a wally but good at the same time.
I have now ordered this: https://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/3d-laser-diamond-de-razor.html along with a ten pack of Wilkinson Sword blades.

I did think about this but the transition from being reasonably happy with my disposable Gillette razors to being thoroughly unhappy the Gillette butter knives was from a packet of the old solid blue ones to a packet of the new blunt two tone ones, I don't think even my stubble evolves that quickly to be the cause. I assume Gillette have changed supplier, factory or something...

I haven't decided what to try next yet.

Hence my comment on the blade's lack of keeness and durability - cheap Chinese steel perhaps?

... and a badger brush...

No mention of the soap/foam? I quite like using the solid soap, working up a lather with the brush. We looked in a gentlemens shop when abroad, brushes went up to £200 !

No one tried harrys yet then? Only mentioned as they seem to be pushed a lot recently on podcasts

Last edited:

Looked at the promotional video of his Chris. The number of brushes he has got is phenomenal and that is without thinking about all the other paraphernalia that he has. Mind you, he needs to trim that moustache on the left hand side of his face - it's longer than the right hand side :naughty: Having said that with tongue in cheek, he does have a good clear shaven skin which is great and what I am looking for. But would I buy all the stuff that he has got? Err no. KISS principle applies.

No mention of the soap/foam? I quite like using the solid soap, working up a lather with the brush. We looked in a gentlemens shop when abroad, brushes went up to £200 !

No one tried harrys yet then? Only mentioned as they seem to be pushed a lot recently on podcasts

I had a look at that link of yours for Harry's. The razors on that site are exactly what I want to move away from hence why I have ordered and and bought a DE razor. Hopefully the blades for a DE are far better quality steel than the rubbish that Gillette - IMHO - are now churning out.

Mitchells woolfat soap for me sir....

You can pay > £100 for a shaving brush in the UK. There are several types of badger brush starting with 'Pure' and going up to 'Silver Tip'. I can't afford these, and manage well enough with the Wilkinson ones at about £3.50! Their solid shaving soap is okay too, but my favourite is Trumper's 'Limes'.

I'm fed up of the price of blades and am seriously considering a DE razor.

Merkur heavy duty seems to be the one to go for.

At least this thread has told me that I'm not the only one suffering shaving problems.

Back