Disposable Razors.

Hence my comment on the blade's lack of keeness and durability - cheap Chinese steel perhaps?

I suppose they've changed supplier or something. I suppose these things aren't even made by Gillette and are yet another thing that comes from some nameless (to us anyway) mega factory out east somewhere.

One thing that annoys me is that it seems to be difficult to buy quality these days. Price seems little guide too.

I use Taylors of Bond street soaps, I have about 6 different ones. Don't get into Mitchels wool fat it's a right Tw@t to lather and as it's described it's made of Bah Bah black sheep. :jawdrop:

For most people starting out Proraso soap is a great favourite and especially their sensitive skin one.

A cheap little bottle of pre shave oil is a great way of stopping the nicks as it helps the razor glaze over the skin.

Don't forget your styptic pencil, us old farts remember them for stopping those little bleeders you get when you start out, or better still an Alum block. Most of all remember that using aftershave after a wet shave
blooming Stings

Last edited:
Fair play, can I ask, why do you use this as opposed to a trimmer ?

I bought a Braun Series 9 shaver today and these are my initial views after it's first use. I figured I'll go easy so I used my Philips One Blade to get the heavy growth off. I then pulled out the Braun and it was a joy to use. My facial skin has never been this smooth after a shave and this includes shaving with my Braun Series 7 although admittedly it probably needed a new blade. Thankfully it has a cleaning station with it and from the many of the reviews I've read, many tend to use it infrequently to give the shaver a good cleaning so they can prolong the cleaning liquid. I'm thinking of potentially having a wet shave next with the Series 9. Top notch shaver. Would Recommend.

Got the cutthroat one simply because the barber uses it and recommended.

Another DE (and straight) razor user/fan here. Once you've given yourself a decent old school style shave you'll never go back to anything else. My favourite is my birth year vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable (from1963), there's just something special about shaving with a razor that's been on the planet for possibly exactly the same length of time as I have.

I'm struggling by with the last of my ASDA twin blade swivels. They're pretty poor and I can feel stubble that they just will not remove regardless of how many times I go over it. Once these have gone I'll have to try something else so I'll be rereading this thread and taking notes :D

Thanks all.

Get yourself on eBay and look for a second hand Parker, Edwin Jagger or Merkur razor, you'll get one for peanuts. Don't get an adjustable. Get some Merkur blades and give it a go. Merkur blades are less aggressive than some others. You can lather your face with a good soap for the first few tries, anything thats good quality will do. Be prepared the first few times to get an odd nick until you get the hang of it.

If you persevere for a short while you'll never go back to multi blade razors.

I have to shave every day as well and pretty much just go to superdrug or bodycare and see what offers are on.
I am on the gillete 3 blade jobbies and got the razor and 10 blades for £18 which is pretty much 6 months for me RRP £36 my hairy arse

I used a BIC disposable this morning, and it still feels like a close shave. I wonder how long it will last.

I used to use Gillette Blue 2 (with swivel head) but they seem to have changed them and instead of a single blue colour body they now have a slightly different two colour body and they seem blunt to me. I don't think it's my imagination as I thought the old ones were pretty sharp and I got a pretty good shave and the odd small cut for my trouble but since getting these new ones I have to go over and over to get a half way decent shave and haven't cut myself once so that seems pretty conclusive to me... the new two tone ones aren't as sharp as the old single colour ones.

I've tried ASDA's own brand ones which are also two tone but slightly different and they're about the same.

Am I going mad? Is my stubble getting more difficult or are these new razors just not sharp????

I hate shaving at the best of times and shaving with these new blunt ones isn't helping...

Is anyone else suffering blunt disposable razors?

What are you guys finding to be the best?

You could always have a sex change, I'm guessing you're a fella, lol.
Seriously I use the Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 cassette things, briliant for about 4/5 shaves then the edge goes off.
Seriously expensive(about £12.00 for 4)
Funny that the government treats all of these products as luxuries and allows us to pay VAT on them.
cheers
tony

I had today what I can only describe as my cleanest shave ever. I apologise as this is a razor based thread but it was using an electric shaver (Braun Series 9) whilst using the wet shaving method.

Absolutely Fantastic.

I had today what I can only describe as my cleanest shave ever. I apologise as this is a razor based thread but it was using an electric shaver (Braun Series 9) whilst using the wet shaving method.

Absolutely Fantastic.

Noted! :D

I've never known the shaver to almost effortlessly glide over the skin. My only contention here is that over the cheek area, I was smooth but around the chin area it was almost hit and miss. I guess I may need more practise but I would recommend this. 1 thing I missed about the wet shave was the prep as in the lathering of the face and it's nice to almost combine 2 different techniques.

So, I made the decision to move to a double edge razor and have been on a bit of a consumerist frenzy.

I bought a cheaper than chips Chinese razor with a few blades. I used it with standard canned foam.

Very impressed but sure I could do better

Have now got Astra blades, a badger brush and Arko soap stick.

On the way is a Edwin Jagger DE89L

My sense of anticipation is childlike.

A thread revival! :D

I've just been struggling by but Mrs WW recently bought me a Harrys razor and two packs of blades each containing four (I think…) 5 blade heads.

I was really impressed the first time I used it and I got the closest shave I've had in years. The only problem is that the 5 blade head is quite large and can't get all the stubble just under my nose so I have to use a much smaller disposable twin blade swivel head for this area.

At the moment the disposable ones I have are branded Boots and made in the EC. I assume they're made in the same factory as some of the supermarket (Asda/Tesco) own brand ones that are also made in the EC and seem to be equally effective, that being not very.

Anyway. I'm happy with the combination of the five blade Harrys for most of the job and the shop/supermarket own brand ones for the area just below my nose and this combination has allowed me to move away from Gillette as my own little personal protest after that awful anti (white) man video they made :D

Last edited:
I was really impressed the first time I used it and I got the closest shave I've had in years. The only problem is that the 5 blade head is quite large and can't get all the stubble just under my nose so I have to use a much smaller disposable twin blade swivel head for this area.
Before I went to DE razors, I vaguely recall Gillette or another manufacturer putting a single blade where the moisturising strip is situated to help with this kind of thing. I don't know if they still do it.

I too remember something like that but I couldn't say what brand it is. As the Harrys was a present I'm stuck with it and its larger size but using a smaller one to finish off isn't really something to worry about too much.

I use the merkur futur adjustable safety razor and feather blades, great shave

I tried a Merkur Futur, it’s sits in a drawer. I found even on its softer setting it was too harsh and I cut myself to bits. I now use a Merkur 36c or 32c depending on my beard growth. I also use a Feather blades, by far the sharpest available.

I use the merkur futur adjustable safety razor and feather blades, great shave

This will probably make others cringe but, I shave in cold water with hand soap. I guess I am lucky to only have a light beard. For razors I buy whatever they have at the Dollar Store. The brand I am now using is Persona. Pretty good double edge in plastic. Comes in packs of 8. Each pack lasts me about 12 months. I bought about 10 packs many years ago. On my last pack. Probably will have to stock up at the end of this year for another decade or two.

When I shaved off my beard (about 14 months ago) I signed up to "Harry's" and they've been great. Good blades, last me about a month (or about 6 shaves).

A thread revival! :D

The only problem is that the 5 blade head is quite large and can't get all the stubble just under my nose so I have to use a much smaller disposable twin blade swivel head for this area.

If you turn the razor round, there is an open blade on the back, which I use for those tricky bits under your nose, and I also use it for tidying my sideburns.

I also use a Feather blades, by far the sharpest available.

Whilst that's kind of true, by Tuesday it's going to be very hard to tell the difference from my favourite Voskhods. And if you don't buy a new one before Wednesday then mine will be sharper :D

https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-summary/

(lower number = sharper and yes, many blades get sharper as you use them. Also, sharpest != best. I just like Voskhods.).

Voskhod + Rockwell 6C for me :)

harrys convert here. good clean shave(daily) sorted delivery plan so I never run out,convienient,works for me

Before I went to DE razors, I vaguely recall Gillette or another manufacturer putting a single blade where the moisturising strip is situated to help with this kind of thing. I don't know if they still do it.

Gillette do them on the Pro glide blades I think.

That is what I was using before I switched to a safety razor, takes a little longer and a bit more thought when shaving but I find it's a better shave overall.

If you turn the razor round, there is an open blade on the back, which I use for those tricky bits under your nose, and I also use it for tidying my sideburns.

The good news… Oh Yeah! I don't know how I missed that!
The bad news... Seems not to work for me, just seems to sort of flex and jump. Maybe my stubble is too tough for it. I seem to have soft skin but stubble like wire. Looks like I'll have to continue to use a disposable twin blade to finish off.

Last edited:
This will probably make others cringe but, I shave in cold water with hand soap. I guess I am lucky to only have a light beard. For razors I buy whatever they have at the Dollar Store. The brand I am now using is Persona. Pretty good double edge in plastic. Comes in packs of 8. Each pack lasts me about 12 months. I bought about 10 packs many years ago. On my last pack. Probably will have to stock up at the end of this year for another decade or two.

I just hate shaving. I could shave twice a day but sadly I have soft skin and end up in a right mess if I try, once a day is enough for my skin but maybe not enough for my quick growing like wire stubble.

I just hate shaving. I could shave twice a day but sadly I have soft skin and end up in a right mess if I try, once a day is enough for my skin but maybe not enough for my quick growing like wire stubble.

Have you considered that it may not be an issue with the razor, but with the lather that you use? A barber once told me that canned lathers often are more airy foam than good moist lather which most beards need. This is why I use hand soap which I can thin out with water. I suggest you talk to a barber about the issue of your wire like beard and sensitive skin. Maybe it is more the lather that is the issue for you. Good luck.

I don't think it's a lather issue.

My routine is to wash my face with hot water and then with soap and hot water before rinsing again with more hot water. I then use a shaving gel which I've found to be much better for me than a foam.

My barber uses a cut throat. I've never asked his advice but I will next time I go.

You could try a proper shaving soap (not foam) rather than gel. Wilkinson sell a decent one for about £2.50, so no financial risk! It comes in a plastic container and you whip up a thick, creamy, lather with a shaving brush and hot water. I find it provides good lubrication and works well.

I also like Trumpers 'Limes' which is at the 'posh' end of shaving soaps, but it's quite expensive.

You could try a proper shaving soap (not foam) rather than gel. Wilkinson sell a decent one for about £2.50, so no financial risk! It comes in a plastic container and you whip up a thick, creamy, lather with a shaving brush and hot water. I find it provides good lubrication and works well.

I also like Trumpers 'Limes' which is at the 'posh' end of shaving soaps, but it's quite expensive.

Taylor’s of Bond Street is my go to, they have quite a few different ones. I love the whole ritual of a good wet shave so I don’t mind paying out a little bit more.

I don't think I've ever seen a shaving soap so I'll watch out for it.

Just Googling to see them and they have both Taylors of Bond Street and Trumpers on Amazon.

You learn something every day :D

I found shaving soap to be quite ...soapy. I've used both TOBS and Trumpers. My current favourite is Truefitt & Hill's shaving cream. I can get a richer more creamy lather with it than I can with soap.

I found shaving soap to be quite ...soapy. I've used both TOBS and Trumpers. My current favourite is Truefitt & Hill's shaving cream. I can get a richer more creamy lather with it than I can with soap.

I wonder if this also has something to do with the water in your area? I'm in Edinburgh and the mains water is soft, no limescale in kettles or irons. Shaving soap lathers quickly and easily, into a thick creamy consistency.

I wonder if this also has something to do with the water in your area? I'm in Edinburgh and the mains water is soft, no limescale in kettles or irons. Shaving soap lathers quickly and easily, into a thick creamy consistency.
Probably. I’m in the Midlands and the rating is supposed to be soft but there’s still limescale build up.

Back