Dissertation Woes!!

Name
Hannah
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone done one? anyone done three at once?! I'm a final year uni student and currently in the process of writing 19,000 words of dissertations! It is slowly driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any thoughts on keeping sane during this strenuous time?!

(I just needed a bit of a rant really! :D)

Meh Meh I have a dissertation due and everything seems to distract me/ get confused!
I am also going crazy I feel you woe! :)

hmm well...ive got 2 lab reports to write up, 2 assingments to write up and a 60 hor project to do, before the end of april, while holding down a job, so i have no sympathy :p

Matty, you're such a slacker :LOL:

My dissertation was actually quite good fun - it was about scaring children (at which I am now very well educated :LOL: :LOL:)

Anyone who's ever read the Amphigorey or any other Edward Gorey books will know what I'm talking about :eek:

ouch that sounds painfull!

I'm a zoology finalist and my dissertation is split into 2 bits thank goodness, one half 6000 words the other 7500.

Have done the 6000 bit and am halfway through the other half now, and we're meant to revise at some point?! >.<

I sort of enjoyed my work, its hard but on the plus side is about whales and dolphins so isn't all bad!

breaks are good and if there is a film or book or something that makes you happy no matter what that you can read/watch it when the work gets you down, I would have not gotten through my first half without happy feet (yes I know the film makes no sense but I can't watch that film and stay in a bad mood!)

keep going, it will all be over soon =) good luck

I ain't done alot of studying but when I did go to college for evening class ( Marketing ) I found that eating Tabasco Olives with a glass of Red wine helped me concentrate and gain ispiration, I am wierd though !

Haha thanks for all the posts!! Im currently up to 6000 words :D part of the difficulty is that i have three separate assignments of 8000 words, 6000 and 5000 so trying to research and write all of them well enough at the same time is hard! and i have a practical drama exam to worry about too. oh well. it is interesting though - i have learnt alot! about rather random things though....hmm. this time in 5 weeks i am FINISHED! Hooray!

I'm curious why in the world you would be doing 3 dissertations? Are you doing three separate graduate degrees? Where I came from (Canada), the term dissertation was generally reserved for the single culmination of a Master's or Ph.D. degree. Though I suppose I knew of undergraduates who would call their 4th year project a dissertation (though it's usually referred to as an honour's project or undergraduate thesis)...

In any case, I always found the 'writing' part more enjoyable than the research part. Certainly it's arduous, but the end is in sight, and it's great preparation for your thesis defense. [So in this case, are you defending three times in front of three separate committees? Now that's stressful. I've never heard of someone doing that, though.]

I'm curious why in the world you would be doing 3 dissertations? Are you doing three separate graduate degrees? Where I came from (Canada), the term dissertation was generally reserved for the single culmination of a Master's or Ph.D. degree. Though I suppose I knew of undergraduates who would call their 4th year project a dissertation (though it's usually referred to as an honour's project or undergraduate thesis)...

In any case, I always found the 'writing' part more enjoyable than the research part. Certainly it's arduous, but the end is in sight, and it's great preparation for your thesis defense. [So in this case, are you defending three times in front of three separate committees? Now that's stressful. I've never heard of someone doing that, though.]

Well I am doing a joint honours undergraduate degree which consists of two subjects and two modules per subject hence the two dissertations for one subject and a dissertation and an exam for the other. They call them dissertations here..though I think it can vary depending on the course you are doing or the university u are at! Im enjoying the writing part for one of them...the other isnt too bad and the last one isnt written at all yet! :D

Heya han :)

Keep plodding on with it! Soon enough it'll be done!

My advice is to eat lots of chocolate, and drink lots of tea. Job done!

Also, it's best if you can to stick to a timetable as well. take time off, and be strict about the time you are meant to spend doing it. I finished mine now, but if it makes you feel any better I disslocated my shoulder again yesterday! So the universal balance is restored :)

Han, when i did mine i broken it down into chapters each being between 500- 2000 words makes it much more manageable. Good luck .

Only 5 days to go til the big deadline.....trust it to be ridiculously nice weather while i am stuck inside!! i bet as soon as i hand everything in those storm clouds will be coming over the horizon! :(

no sympathy for you :nono:

After you've finished it, you'll be lounging round for weeks on end.

;)

2 of my assignments posted today, main 10,000word project to be in 30th june..

no sympathy for you :nono:

After you've finished it, you'll be lounging round for weeks on end.

Lounging around....me?! Handed it all in yesterday! woop woop! Now its off to the beach! :D ;)

keep at it Matty!! It will be worth it :)

oh, you managed to fit it in in between watching the apprentice huh? ;)
well done!

ive done everything except write it up, its coming along. well done on the gazillion words, im impressed.

Back