DIY camera equipment

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anybody make/repair there own camera equipment or accessories. Things like light modifiers, reflectors, tripod repares, that sort of thing
I don't have a great deal of spare money for equipment, so do a fair bit of bodging.

Used to but now I'm retired don't have access to the machinery. I've made a gimbal head and a hide shelf clamp, tripod feet and a few other bits and pieces over the years.

Used to but now I'm retired don't have access to the machinery. I've made a gimbal head and a hide shelf clamp, tripod feet and a few other bits and pieces over the years.
That's quite impressive. :)

I have made light modifiers from cardboard, tin foil, net curtains, grease-proof paper and black tape, that kind of simple thing. Mostly for macro work, nothing major.

I've built several custom cameras by modifying existing systems (4x5 Polaroid 110, ultrawide angle Holga/Nimslo hybrid etc) as well as fitting custom skins to others. I'm currently designing and laser cutting a complete 4x5 large format field camera from acrylic with the plan to launch it via a Kickstarter campaign although after the fight I'm having with it today, the only launch I have in mind is out of the window!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/stevelloyd/0e7XJK

Yeah, but my supply of 1/4" and 3/8" British Standard Whitworth is declining.

This is my home made "Better Beamer" on my home made flash bracket, Total cost was about £15. Not quite as good as the originals but over $100 cheaper and perfectly serviceable!

Attachments

• 86487808.jpg
    86487808.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 36
Can you do something about the wallpaper too please. That and the wine make me rather dizzy.

BTW. What is the flash going to do with such a loooong lens?

That's why I drink Rum!

I (very occasionally) use the flash at low power to freeze movement and/or help accentuate the subject. Don't be fooled into thinking that this lens (800mm) was bought for long range - I don't use it at more than 15 meters that often and frequently use an extension tube to reduce the minimum focus distance. Even at 6 meters (MFD) Wrens, and the like, are still not huge in the frame!

It looks like Plastidip to me which gives a hard wearing rubberised texture. I built a custom turntable for a friend and used it to give a durable finish;

Finished Custom Technics 1210 Turntable by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

That looks nice!

I built one many years ago - used a weighted Goldring platter, Mitchell bearing and motor with a slate plinth that a mate cut for me. Mounted on MicroSorber feet with an SME III arm - sounded very nice!

That looks nice!

I built one many years ago - used a weighted Goldring platter, Mitchell bearing and motor with a slate plinth that a mate cut for me. Mounted on MicroSorber feet with an SME III arm - sounded very nice!

Thanks, I was happy with the end result. I'm not an audiophile at all, I just like building custom kit (decks, cars, cameras!) and made this one for my friend who runs 35mmc.com and TheVinylAdventure.co.uk It came about from a bit of a random conversation about cameras and turned into a plan to build a one off Technics SL1210 :0)

https://flickr.com/photos/8476499@N02/sets/72157676042545045

Back