DIY IR conversion ?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone done this and got a good link to information/tutorials

I've got a camera i don't mind risking, but not sure where to start!

There was a you tube video but the guy looked a bit ham fisted the way he was doing it,may be worth a search though.

Will be different for every camera in theory it's pretty straight forward in practice a little more challenging!

Will be different for every camera in theory it's pretty straight forward in practice a little more challenging!

Yeah as mine is a Sony A350 I'm guessing there won't be a how-to for that specifically.

I might make one as I do it! :)

You can get a Canon 20Da quite cheaply which has had this done already, and just pick up one lens for it or use adaptors.

Some blank developed film will work as a filter (i.e. the ends of a negative) otherwise Amazon, Ebay, etc so the plastic filters cheaply.

I did this to a webcam for a science project and it really just depends how easy the camera is to dismantle to get to the lens, that's the only hard part.

i've modified a couple of cameras but nothing as complicated as a sony a350. I've done a Lumix tz series and a canon sx130. I opted to just remove the IR cut filter and use a 37mm mounting ring on the front of the camera so i could experiment with different strengths.

I've got a Canon G5 already converted going spare. Works perfectly but a bit battered. Want to start a thread in the wanted section? Be a lot simpler than trying, and possibly wrecking, one of your own!!!

Back