DIY Light Box

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I'm going to make myself a DIY Lightbox tomorrow.

I'm going to use a large square cardboard box, cut holes in the top and two sides and cover with some old white T-shirts, or buy some cheap fabric.

For the inside I am going to an art shop to buy some thick paper or thick (but bendy) card to arc in the middle (just so it will not crease).

Now, I'm in a bit of a middle because I do not know what sort of lighting to use.

I have been looking on the Argos website and they sell flexible desk lamps for £10 each, they say it is a 50watt halogen bulb, or I can use other low watt bulbs... Surely I need at least 100 watt on either side of the box? Brighter the better, right? Or am I wrong?

Can anyone suggest any other type of lighting I could use?

Thanks!
Amnesia

just use energy saving bulbs my lamps are rated to 60W and i have 20W energy saving bulbs that are around 100W equiv. i think

Okay, thanks. So a standard lamp with a 60watt should be fine?

Ill do some experimenting tonight!

Thanks for the link! Am I right to assume I could use white card instead of black?

Hi Everyone!

I have finally built a "test" light box! I'm going to be making a better one after my hols, but this is just to play with for now!

However, I think I need better lights. The store only had Energy Savers 11watt which is the equivalent of 60watt in the Golfball style bulb. I will be buying the 100watt equivalent as soon as they have more stock! (Would the twisty lights that are equivalent to 100watt be suitable? or do they have to be golfball/clear bulb?).

Anyway, here is my rig!

main.jpg

Now, Below I have included my shots. The first is how it came out on the camera (not great). The second is the levels adjusted in Photoshop.... any ideas why the colouring isn't quite right on the camera? (Could be due to the bulbs not being powerful enough/the box too big?)

1.jpg

1a.jpg

2.jpg

2a.jpg

3.jpg

3a.jpg

Cheers!!

Moving to the Lighting forum.

Thanks for the replies all!

Baz, that certainly looks like a decent box!

probably because the energy saving bulbs that you are using give of a light which is actually tinted slightly orange (see link) you can buy S.A.D energy bulbs which give a white light that is much closer to daylight, this should correct any colour casts that you are experiencing

http://www.lenscraft.co.uk/articles/colourtemperature.pdf
Thanks for the link regarding light.
I will look at getting a brighter bulb more around the 5,500k mark!

Do the bulbs have to be the golf ball style, or can I use the twisty ones? (most of the bulbs say soft glow, daylight, bright light etc and do not give the Kelvin, so I assume the one that says day light is going to be what I need?)

Thanks!

Back