Do I go to Thruxton BTCC?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Enrty cost isnt a problem but its about a hundred miles from me. I was hoping to share fuel costs with a friend but he can't come due to work. I have only just started watching the cars on tele so don't have the interest in it like I do with the bikes.

But I have a my new 150-500 for my 60D and I could do with the panning practice ready for the BSB in August.

So is it worth going not just to tog but as a spectator? Also how packed does it get? Bikes isn't so crowded since the move to sky.

I'll be there Mike, I would say do it, you only live once! I'll be there with my kit, just don't read the terms and conditions on the back of the ticket! :arghh:

After posting this I had an idea (believe it or not) so I phone my mate and we're hopefully going for the qualifying on Saturday. Better than not at all.

:D If you do turn up on the Sunday make sure you buy the boobie pass (pit ticket for £7) that's if the weather holds out well.....

I was thinking of going on the Saturday as I fancy trying some motorsport. I work Sundays so that's a non starter but hopefully there should be a bit more space on the Saturday anyway.

If I can't make it then I notice they have Superbikes in August.

Ah, just noticed in your first post ... BSB (British Super Bikes) in August :oops: :$

Last edited:
6 miles for me, when the BSB is on we can still hear it all this distance away! The Mrs will be dropping me off so I won't have to worry about parking! 4 day weekend due to work commitments so I'm rather excited, just got to work out what weather gear to take in case it decides to rain!

me and my dad should be going saturday, is viewing basicaly last chicane to the fast chicane ?
also any advice on roughly what focal length/range (on crop sensors) would cover most situations?
might shoot some film too :eek:

I managed ok in places with my 55-250 at the British Superbikes last year. If you go just past the s bends you can see them easily enough without fence in the way.

4.jpg

4.jpg

:) if you see a long brown haired ugly guy changing a battery, its probably me :-O
sigma and sony are battery eaters :-(

Had a great time at my first BTCC meet, and what great weather. Will defiantly be going again, really enjoyed watching it. Will post some pics soon. Looking forward to the British Superbikes in August now. :cool:

Oh and I filled my 16gb and 8gb cards (taking RAW and small JPG).

Last edited:
Just waiting for my wife to hurry up as she's dropping me off today. Will be easier than taking the car and finding a place to park. Managed to cram a bit of motor sport kit into a small ish diesel bag so I don't get reprimanded by the "that lens looks professional" crowd!

I'm now back home, the Mrs burst into laughter as I look like a blooming beetroot! It's also sod's law that I wore my Oakleys all day and as a result, I look like I've been wearing tanning goggles! Will upload a set of photos shortly once I've got them off the camera :)

I would also like to say a massive thanks to the many idiots that got in the way of the camera, the idiot who thought he could try stealing my 100-400 while I wasn't looking, the chubby women wearing black lycra with thongs for all to see, the guy that was using his 500mm F/4L to pick up the dead flies on the front end of a Ginetta Super and the pit girls for wearing those slender all in ones, there were a few stunners there for sure :)

Probably won't get around to posting some of mine until Monday night, if I'm lucky. I've got some gooduns which I happy about, but I'm not very good at culling. All the blurry ones and ones with just the back of the car have gone but still got loads left.

I did see a guy with a massive L lens by the pit entrance. Is that who you mean?

Why would you possibly take a 500mm to Thruxton? The most you could possibly need would be 400mm, and that would be on a ff!!

Some people eh? :rolleyes:

Took 150-500. If you go down the bottom you can get them up by the s bends after the start line. To be be fair my next lens is only 55-250 though

Took 150-500. If you go down the bottom you can get them up by the s bends after the start line. To be be fair my next lens is only 55-250 though
I understand your taking a 150-500, but a 500 prime just limits you so much. Like you said, you can get them by the s bends, but to only have that opportunity seems very odd.

I spotted 4 official togs lugging a 500 about in the pit lane, one guy was trying to be creative but you could see him swearing and cursing afterwards, I literally stuck to my 5d2 and 100-400 as I sold the 1DX 3 weeks ago as it wasn't getting the use that it should, there was a young lad carrying a 400 2.8 which although a great lens, completely overkill when you're in the paddock with it as he was most of the day. I've not done Thruxton before but do a lot of VSCC work and never need anything too much on the long end - everyone's different I guess. I'm just going through my photos as we speak, took 1100 in total on 3 x 64GB cards, around 900 are keepers so I'll be dishing them out for viewing by the Thruxton and Dunlop scrutineers during the week. I'm quite astonished that there were that many ''official'' togs on the track, everywhere I looked I could see bright orange and a 200 f/2.8 swinging about!

All in all, a thoroughly good day, just wish my face would stop burning!

Were you there for any sort of professional role? That seems like a lot of keepers!!! :p

Yes and no, I know a few people at Thruxton who help with favours etc, this year I said I would definitely give it a go and have a set done by this evening for them to look through. I'm assuming you read the back of the ticket, basically if you do feel the need to use such imagery, contact them first :)

Just uploading a few SOOC up to Flickr, will provide a link in a moment.

Back