Do I need to upgrade from my Canon E0S 550D?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've recently been given a £250 bonus from work, and they want me to upgrade my photography equipment. I can go higher with the budget, but don't have much idea about prices. Maybe to around the £400 mark.

I currently have a Canon 550D, with a Canon Zoom EF-2 18-55mm lens and an EF 50mm Lens.

First of all, we want to start producing more video content, and want to improve on the video quality in the link below (excuse they shaky camera!):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAQVlpevZZs

Do I need a new camera body for this, or just a better lens?

Secondly, I do need a wider angle lens so I can take pictures inside rooms (we are an interior design company mainly dealing with offices). At the moment my lenses are too narrow and cut out some of the room. Can anyone recommend a good wide angle lens?

Hope that all makes sense guys. I would be grateful for any advice.

I will answer your lens question first, yes a wider angle lens would help, I don't know about video but something along the lines of the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC would do the job.
What puzzles me is that your employer expects you to use your equipment to take their photographs, do you do it for free or do you get paid for doing it?
BTW you won't get a decent lens for £250, anyway the company should buy it as they can claim the VAT back.

What would best improve the quality of the video?

Some kind of stabilisation device, or a complete system change.

What would you need to shoot stills in interiors?

A wider lens, the 10-18STM would be my recommendation.

Is there anything wrong with the 550d?

No, but it’s probably not the best tool for doing what you want either. It’s perfectly capable, but to improve the quality of your output massively, you need to up your skill level and then for further improvements you need to multiply your budget by 10.

Thanks guys.

It seems from your advice that the best idea is to get the wide angle lens for now. That will be a start.

As for the video I think you're right Phil. Probably best to work on my skills first and start saving!

To answer your questions Troutfisher, my company will be buying the equipment with the allocated funds so they can claim VAT. I may have to contribute a bit of cash myself, but seeing as I'm getting more into photography and the lens will belong to me once purchased, I don't mind. And sadly no they don't supply the equipment, it is all mine. I've always seen taking photographs as just part of the job. To be honest I'm still learning and my photographs are not always to a professional standard, but I am improving. Sometimes for important projects we hire professionals photographers and pay them.

Last edited:
Tripod and pan-tilt head would help with shaky camera.
Consider using the widest aperture on your 50mm for some selective focus/depth-of-field effects.
The 10-18mm lens is a little cracker IMHO.
Upgrading to a newer body with flip-out screen would be helpful for video, but you don't really have the budget for it.

As already mentioned, if the company are asking you to upgrade, get them to purchase the gear (that you specify) nett VAT.

Good luck!

Thanks guys.

It seems from your advice that the best idea is to get the wide angle lens for now. That will be a start.

As for the video I think you're right Phil. Probably best to work on my skills first and start saving!

To answer your questions Troutfisher, my company will be buying the equipment with the allocated funds so they can claim VAT. I may have to contribute a bit of cash myself, but seeing as I'm getting more into photography and the lens will belong to me once purchased, I don't mind. And sadly no they don't supply the equipment, it is all mine. I've always seen taking photographs as just part of the job. To be honest I'm still learning and my photographs are not always to a professional standard, but I am improving. Sometimes for important projects we hire professionals photographers and pay them.

Fair enough, I did that when I worked for an Estate agent, they made a big contribution to a wide angle and it became mine.
Best of luck it looks to be interesting and the skills you learn should benefit you in the future

Back