Do you ever lose interest for a while?

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
For the past couple of weeks I have spent less time on the forum, my weekly post count is down, and I have not posted many pics lately. I am also guilty of not commenting on posted images as much as I should do for which I apologise.

I have not been out much with the camera but I do have a dedicated day planned for next Sunday so hopefully I can rejuvenate my interest then.

Or maybe I should just splash out on a new lens and that might do the trick :nuts:.

Have many others gone through a similar period, how long did it last, and what brought about an end to it.

:( :help:

i did but i am back now :D
still need to get doing more with the camera but hopefully things are afoot for that

Yeah, I know it. Other stuff takes over and the camera starts collecting dust. Book a holiday or (in times of financial instability) go for a long walk somewhere you've never been. Of course a new lens is also an option. Get a really good prime ;)

I think the photography part happens to many people around this time of year. Not enough light hours in the day, nasty weather, no colour. I always go through spells of lacking interest, but the spells seem to have got shorter over time. It is normally just down to the odd day now when I think "I really cant be arsed to take a photo of anything".

As for the forum bit I guess the same happens, I haven't really posted any pics on here for a while, just because I never seem to get around to sorting out a little set...just the way it goes I guess.

im going to say no, although there might be periods where im not taking many photos. I am still thinking about future locations or photoshoots and thinking of photos i want to shoot, then i go on a binge.

at the moment i am in a little bit of a lul but i am working my arse of at work and putting in alot of hrs and investing in nearly £2k worth of equipment as an end result.
I really itching to get out and get the city while its gleaming and lit up!

i just keep thinking to my self - only 3 more weeks of overtime and i have it my target!

I am having a quiet time at the moment. Mainly because work and other stuff has left me with little time to do and photography.

My ebay triggers came today and in the next few days my brollies and stands will turn up so expect to see carp portrait attemps by the bucket load I am afraid!!

i'm in one of those periods now, i just CBA. i'm looking for insppration tonight though after a new magazine was bought.

Yeah, it's happening at the moment! Just got so much stuff on I haven't really been on the forums, and haven't been out and about with the camera. Still, holidays soon, so I'll get back into it properly then! I think it's just one of those things that happens!

Chris

This question has been asked a number of times before and I can tell you, without any shame, that I am guilty on both counts on more than one occasion... :eek:

I have only just returned to TP once again since the summer really, although I do 'pop in' occasionally I find a certain malaise strikes me when it comes to postings... :shrug: ... just the way it is and it is normally at the onset of Autumn for some reason... SAD setting in maybe... :D

I do miss the banter and some of the people especially when someone finds me somewhere else like MSN or via e-mail and makes me feel guilty... ;)

As for the camera... :eek: ... mine has not seen the light of day since our holiday to Skye... :shrug: ... for heaven's sake I still have numerous rolls of 120 that have not even been sent off for processing yet ! Am I bovvered... :naughty: ... well partly yes but I do know it will pass and eventually I will decide to buy a new camera and start over messing about once more !?!

In the meantime... work has been getting in the way if I needed an excuse but it would be a pretty weak one as I have tons of it to do as I sit here and type this evening ... but am I doing it ???

Take heart your mojo will return Galaxy... ;)

:p

I only get out to take pictures every couple of weeks so it always feels quite fresh. What about trying something you haven't done before, for example I just started doing night photography recently and its opened up a whole new set of ideas for me. Maybe trying something a bit different could spark the interest :)

I think it happens to everyone from time to time. I shoot mainly motorsport so I don't have much to shoot at the moment. I've used the downtime to buy some new gear and I'm going to start experimenting with different types of photography.

My girlfriend needs me to do some creative and kinda wierd portraits for one of her uni projects, so I'm going to do my first photoshoot with a human subject on Wednesday night, which I'm really looking forward to.

As for the forum, I've only been here a couple of months so I can't comment really on my interest waxing and waning yet :)

Maybe for a day or two when I need to stop and breathe but generally no. Firstly I can't afford to. Secondly I run a blog documenting Liverpool. This time of year is great for photos. I guess because I freelance I can just go off and take photos. If you do 9-5 then you only really have the weekend and if it rains its annoying. I hated that. Dusk at a decent time, hours aren't as long either. When summer hits you're waiting till like 10/11pm for dusk where as now its done by 5pm. Sunrise is also at a better time.

i did a month or so ago, reason being i just bought a new car so was always out in that and on car forums instead of taking photos, but im now got the bug again, plus i think its the time of year too, during the summer i would go out after work taking photos, but now when i come home its pitch black and cold and wet and snowy.

I lost interest in photography some 20 odd years ago. The Club lost its premises and had to move and I didnt want to travel. Work patterns also changed so went on to other things. I kept the interest alive on holidays and such, and recently bought a DSLR.I'm getting to grips with all the functions on it, and cant wait to get out to practise what I have learned. I have in fact rediscovered the joys of photography.

My photographic mojo is related to my general mood: If I feel good and upbeat then I take photos, if I feel lousy or in a bad mood I don't feel inclined to!

So at the moment I'm taking photos cos I feel upbeat :)

Its comes and goes :) But always returns !

i was fairly lackluster a few weeks back, just not feeling inspired, but then I got a lot of work, and some really good comments back from a few of my editors, that helped. Also I'm a big fan of the idea that destruction is the first step to any creative process. Smash something up, throw an old mug at a tree, go on a bender, quit your job, just do something you wouldn't because of how destructive it is and see what comes out of it.

also I avoid shooting things I have no interest in (like children) but today went out with some TP people and pushed some of my boundaries, that was fun and gave me some ideas for my next few shots.

i found myself in a bit of a lull, but i started my degree and having projects to do has REALLY helped, maybe we should take it in turns to suggest projects that people can do, and then post up our results and say what we felt about them

would be a great way to quiz people about what they do, how to get the best landscape or portrait photos... might be really good fun (or i might just be a mad student! you decide!)

I've been in a lull since our holiday in September.
However, we are going to Iceland for a few days to visit my stepdaughter so hopefully the scenery will inspire me.

If you do 9-5 then you only really have the weekend and if it rains its annoying. I hated that.

Yep, completely agree with this. For me it's not a case of lacking interest at the mo, but lacking free time when it matters.

Dusk at a decent time, hours aren't as long either. When summer hits you're waiting till like 10/11pm for dusk where as now its done by 5pm. Sunrise is also at a better time.

I much prefer summer for sunrise/set, for the simple fact that it is earlier/later and not whilst I am at work. This work lark is playing havoc with my photography.

Oh, to be able to give up work and just take pics all the time :sigh:

I find it comes and goes, I have lots of other hobbies and find that quite often when my interest in photography drops a bit I gain more of an interest in one of the other hobbies. so it's just swings and roundabouts really.

I probably am quite different from many people in that I'm quite heavily involved in 4-5 fairly time consuming hobbies so if I do less of one there is always plenty to take up any available time slot :p

I'm generally always into it - always looking forward to the next job. Probably a good thing as I do it for a living... if it's a hobby it doesn't really matter if something else takes your interest for a while.

Yep i haven't picked up my camera for a good couple of months now, i have no motivation to do so either, the last time i took any photos i liked was on holiday back in may, it's a p*** off really as i have great kit now but no motivation, I'm not sure if this is going to change i do hope so but the way I'm feeling at the moment i don't see a way forward, i generally really hate the winter months and just don't like going out irrespective of photography,i have no real interest in Xmas as i find it so false, i did wonder a little while back if i suffer from SAD but find it hard to accept things like that and feel i should just get on with it, or maybe I'm just getting a miserable old git in my old age :LOL: 50 on Saturday :( bloody hell what a rant, roll on the summer :D

I invested in a 5D, 24-70 and some other nice bits n pieces last week. So far I've taken 6 frames to test the high ISOs and such, just not really feeling it.

I also have about $100 of film sat in the fridge, and my film body hasn't moved for about 5 weeks.

Some big events on next week like the Homeless World Cup, so I'm hoping that's gonna motivate me.

Looks like I am not alone, hopefully it will all change on Sunday :)

Yep ,stopped 24 years ago, and started again last November ,my birthday and decided to get a bridge camera instead of the little compact I had.

But being used to 35mm bright viewfinder got fed up with the little evf

so bought a D80, never looked back, still a crap tog,but enjoy it SOOOOOO!!
Much..........
We all go through spells.

I would like to meet a tog from my area to go out with at least once a month to punch some enthusiasm back into it.

I like to give myself little projects, whether it be a friends christening or any other favors for friends, a new baby, a course i'm attending, some macro bits, or a local town etc. I try and do this every week or so...if i've got no 'purpose' as such i find its easy to loose enthusiam, especially in this crappy weather!

Try doing something you've never been interested in doing before. as i've mentioned in another post i've got an opportunity in a few weeks to shoot some really cools cars. Now, i'm SO not into cars and have never taken a photo of one before but i'm finding it really interesting researching how peole do this and planning my shoot.

Most of all, don't beat yourself up about it, its a hobby - if you don't feel like doing it at the moment thats fine;)

Anna

I actually think about taking pictures when I leave the house without my camera & wish I had it. I usually stick to things for a long time.

I like to give myself little projects, whether it be a friends christening or any other favors for friends, a new baby, a course i'm attending, some macro bits, or a local town etc. I try and do this every week or so...if i've got no 'purpose' as such i find its easy to loose enthusiam, especially in this crappy weather!

Try doing something you've never been interested in doing before. as i've mentioned in another post i've got an opportunity in a few weeks to shoot some really cools cars. Now, i'm SO not into cars and have never taken a photo of one before but i'm finding it really interesting researching how peole do this and planning my shoot.

Most of all, don't beat yourself up about it, its a hobby - if you don't feel like doing it at the moment thats fine

Anna

Night photography ! I have never done that before so a trip to Newcastle Quayside, Newcastle city centre and possibly nip down and do the Angel at night could be a good idea :)
That has me exited now:D

simply yes and far to often...

md:shrug:

I've been shooting more or less every day or every other day for the past year. There's been a few days at time I've not been able to shoot but I've been thinking about it or reading about it. I just love it. I don't see my fascination for this waning any time soon. As I type, I'm watching the OneLight Workshop DVD and it's given me plenty of food for thought to try out tomorrow :) Love it.. just love it.

Worst thing you could do IMHO is to force it when you don't feel like it.

As has been said, relax, do something else and the mojo will return before you know it.;)

because its something that has taken over my life since i broke my leg, i havnt really had this yet. I will say that its getting colder and i dont really have that much time in the day because of physio and gym, but because im buying so much gear i havnt experienced the feeling just yet. I do however know how it feels to have loads of pictures and having a computer thats not good enough to do any real editing with...

I think it's normal to have ebbs and flows like this, I know I do. I turned 'semi-pro' this year, and for the most part I've been like a little kid at Christmas about my photography, especially as it's now earning me money!

However, for some reason my passion has waned a bit in the last month or so and I don't know why. I think with me it's beacuse I always need something new to learn and new challenges to keep up the momentum.

With this in mind last week I decided, 'right, I'm going to get into strobing' (off camera flash stuff). Spark re-ignited! So much to learn again and the results you can get from a couple of speedlights and a lot of research are amazing.

So my mojo is now back. I need to spend a bit more money on gear though :( but I can't wait to get practicing and then use it for real out on jobs.

"Night photography ! I have never done that before so a trip to Newcastle Quayside, Newcastle city centre and possibly nip down and do the Angel at night could be a good idea :)
That has me exited now:D"

Oh yes, i haven't done that either, make sure you post some pics! see, now you've got me excited too!

Good luck

Back