Do you ever use a Monopod for Landscape photography

Do you ever use a Monopod for Landscape photography

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it worthwhile getting a monopod to use in landscape photography, rather than always lugging a heavy tripod and head.
I know it would be useful in other types of photography such as Long lens sports usage.

Pete

Serious landscape photography, I would say no, there is need for a good stable platform to provide the best IMO.
Having said that if you mean just photographing landscapes then yes a monopod, even handheld would work. :)

In the old days I would've said yes. When you were constrained by film speed, I reckoned that a monopod was worth a couple of stops of sharpness, ie you could stop down more and use a slower shutter speed than hand-holding. So yes, for film. But in these digital days of instant iso change and vibration reduction, no.

If you're physically unable to carry a tripod, then perhaps a monopod is better than nothing.
Not landscape, but my use of one for sports technique is to place it between my open legs, about 3ft in front. That way it basically forms a platform as the third leg of a tripod with my 2 legs offering support.
If the monopod is pushed secure into the ground, I can manage a few decent images.

Generally speaking I'll take a tripod for serious landscape photography, but sometimes I'm just strolling around with a camera, often with a monopod, just in case something turns up. I often want a longer exposure than I'm entirely happy with doing with a monopod, so I'll jam it against the side of a tree trunk, a wall, or whatever. For that reason I often carry around with me and the monopod a few elastic straps and some cord, which increases the ways in which I can lash up the monopod to some other object into something better approximating to tripod stability.

Depends what you're doing. If I'm walking a short distance, no more than 5 miles, purely for photography it's a tripod every time. If I'm out for an all day walk on the moors where the photography is slightly secondary, then a walking pole that doubles as a monopod is invaluable, especially when the wind makes hand holding shaky.

I haven't used my monopod for a few years.

I have walking sticks that have a camera mount but I'd normally carry a small lightweight tripod anyway if I expect to need a support.

Monopod/Walking Stick most of the time with a Gorilla Pod in the backpack. But most of my walks are 10+ miles over very varied terrain.

I think one would be very handy if you're shooting in daylight and want to get shots quickly. Sometimes tripods can feel restrictive especially when you're exploring and shooting in places like woodlands. No harm in giving it a try

Age related shakes makes a monopod the norm all the time. I would trust a monopd/walking pole more than a lightweight tripod.
I use it for most hand held stitched pans as well.

Monopod/Walking Stick most of the time with a Gorilla Pod in the backpack. But most of my walks are 10+ miles over very varied terrain.

Monopod plus gorillapod is a useful combination. You can wrap one leg of the gorillapod around the monopod, and use the other two legs as little accessory legs to stabilise it when leaning against something else, such as a wall. Keeps the camera away from the wall as well.

Interesting answers and options I had not thought about.

Many Thanks
Pete

Also you might want to consider customising your existing tripod as another option depending on if you are specifically a Landscape photographer.
Getting rid of some of the unnecessary weight on the tripod, I have a stripped down one, no head, the center column removed (never use it anyway). basically the camera on the flat panning disk. If I want to change the angle I use the legs.
There was a company that used to make blank stubs for tripods, to replace all the garbage and center columns (that induce vibration) but I cant seem to find them now.

I'm going to put a medium priced carbon fibre monopod onto my birthday present list. It would have helped on my last trip (not Landscape)

I'm going to put a medium priced carbon fibre monopod onto my birthday present list. It would have helped on my last trip (not Landscape)
At the end of the day if its the solution for you then it right. Its a very handy thing to have, look at it like this you will be much better off than hand held. Maybe worth keeping VR turned on while on the Monopod unless at quite high shutter speeds.

Back