Do you feel 'awkward' taking photos?

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
I'm sat here now thinking "I'm going to go out with the camera and tripod tomorrow and take some bloody good shots".

Won't happen though. Never does.

Why?

Well, for some reason I feel really uncomfortable taking photos in public places. I always feel that I'm either where I shouldn't be, or I'm taking pictures of things I shouldn't be taking pictures of (i.e. people/other people's property and so on).

What's your thoughts on this?

I can understand your reluctance, as I tend to feel the same sometimes.

I am desperate to turn my hand towards candids and people shots, but lack the confidence to do so in public. I have taken shots with my 70-300, and also attempted the 'shoot from the hip' style of shot, and resulted with some shots of people this way, but I also would love to take proper candids.

Also when out in public if there are kids about I tend to be wary about taking photos and actively point my camera away if there is a child in shot, just incase. I'd rather not take a shot than risk the hassle of an angry parent/guardian.

When taking building shots, or shots with a tripod over a bridge and what not, I have almost gotten over the embarassment hurdle.

I now think nothing of lying down in the middle of a street to take a shot I want, and not be embarassed by it. It is only when there is a chance I'm inconveniencing others that I feel uneasy.

Some times I feel the same, its weird.

If go on vacation to knew some place, some city, I don't care if I stand in the middle of the street to take a shot I want. (I feel I've the Tourist licence :FIcamerap )

But If i intend to go shot anything here in my city, my place of living or working. I feel uncomfortable. Thats the true about it.

:whistling

Same here...I'm still timid of taking shots of people.
If you engage with them instead of taking 'sneaky' shots, they tend to pose for the camera which is not really 'candid'
Like anything else, it takes practice, practice, practice.

I had a nasty experience on a fairground this year so like Marcel, I make it obvious I'm pointing the camera away from kids and even switch it off if someone is watching me suspiciously.

I think there is a link on here somewhere to UK Photographers Rights...I carry a few copies in my bag along with business cards with my gallery and email address to hand out.

If you get any hassle you can always tell them to p!ss off, your'e from Mi5 and theyr'e blowing your cover :D

lol @ Bachs...

i dont like people shots at the moment, as marcel says, current climate of kiddiefiddlers has made innocent people photography very difficult, but i am working on that

I tried reading that before, get 'error opening document' or something.

its working, have you got Adobe reader installed GfK

EosD said:
its working, have you got Adobe reader installed GfK

Indeed I have. Wonder if Adobe have thrown all backwards compatibility out the window and I need a later version or something...

i dunno...

i will send you pm...hold on

I've posted on this subject before because I also feel intimidated by the thought of snapping people I don't know. :(

pitty really as I've read that my 60mm lens is great for portrait work

I was out last week at some local 'gardens/park' near us (Where I shot the squirrel).
In this park is a lovely garden area, full of flowers etc etc, and some tea rooms.
In a corner was a hammock type thing, with three elderly ladies sat on it, all chatting and smiling and sipping cups of tea. It would have made a brilliant shot, but I was too close to get a sneaky shot (Which I would have felt uncomfortable doing anyway), and I didn't have the guts to ask if they minded, which I just took a couple of shots.

It's a shame really and I was literally walking away kicking myself and saying to myself "You wuss, they're old ladies.....just go and ask...all they can do is say no".

Still couldn't bring myself to do it.
Never have been a confident person :(

We all suffer with this to some degree, and some people feel so self conscious, and such a tit that they wont even kneel down in public to get a better viewpoint/ angle for their shots. It's something you need to overcome, and the best advice I can give you is try to be friendly, outgoing and open in your approach and you'll mostly be well received by people. There's always the sneaky approach if all else fails.

I'm trying to find one of my old snapshots which is quite amusing and illustrates people's attitudes to photographers contortions quite well. :D

Here you go.The guy on the left is my old shooting pal, sadly no longer with us. We went to the shoot out of season to build some hides, and I took the camera. The expression on his face tells you all you need to know about what he thought of me squatting in a stream to take this shot! :LOL: I'll draw a veil over his comments! 'Crowbait' on the right is my missus.

Alan_and_Jan.jpg

I'm also shy but working on getting over the awkward issue. Just remember that a moment can only be captured once then its gone. Regret lasts forever. That is more than enough incentive to make me get the shot :)

Let's have a 'Go on then, do it you chicken-sh!t' competition.

First to post an in yer face shot of a six foot muscle-bound bruiser with a bad atittude wins a Canon EOS 5d
Oh and no telephoto lenses allowed...50mm and below.

Bachs said:

First to post an in yer face shot of a six foot muscle-bound bruiser with a bad atittude wins a Canon EOS 5d
That's a very generous offer Bachs..... :thumb:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I'm too busy congratulating his generosity, I forgot to put a pic up. :nut:

Bachs said:

I hate to say it but i took just that shoot last weekend, and on the 50mm lens as well...where do i collect my prize from? :p

Sorry the comp started at 16:22 today so they don't count.
In fact your'e disqualified :flipoff:

mm still trying to find "the photographers rights" (but Mexican version) and I dont found anything... I will read instead de UK, but still looking for my own.

I have exactly the same problem - I feel utterly uncomfortable going out taking pictures on my own. It took me a great deal of pondering before I setup with my tripod in a public place - even then I was nervous about what would be thinking.

I actually think I would be better if I had another photographer to go out shooting with, my pictures and attitude would be far better. Anyone near Huddersfield? ;)

Matt

Yup, we have Rob, and we also have myself from Bury, which is only about 30 mins away. I'm up for a shoot sometime if you fancy it. :)

Yeah that'd be cool. I would love to have some other people to shoot with, to get tips etc from. I've got a 350D too also, although I don't think mine is the "L" model ;)

Matt

Oh mine is. All my stuff is the L models, all the way down to my Lens pen :D

I've only been out once taking street/candid stuff and it didn't take long before I got hassled by some guy who thought I was taking pics of kids. I told him I wasn't but he got really agro so I started taking pics of him. He p***ed off pretty sharpish.

I also feel awkward with the Camera in Public, and also very aware of the problems surrounding using your Camera near Children.

I guess the only way to get around some of it, is to go to a place where you know pretty much everybody else will be taking pictures to start with. Nature reserves, Zoo's, Areas of Historical or natural interest. These are the sorts of places where you will look out of place if you DONT have a camera, and anyone staring at you is some guy with the Hots for your Lens ;) (everyone has this Virus, even if they cant use the Lens, they covet it ;) )

-Rich

i put my lens hood on the sigma today, adds about 3" and makes it look fat...EVERYONE was staring....though when i got home i realised i have a sunburnt face apart from 3 round white patches where my sunglasses protected my eyes, so it could have been that they were staring at....

3 round white patches where my sunglasses protected my eyes, so it could have been that they were staring at....
Yeah... they probably don't see many people with three eyes. :LOL: :LOL:

Rich said:
I guess the only way to get around some of it, is to go to a place where you know pretty much everybody else will be taking pictures to start with. Nature reserves, Zoo's, Areas of Historical or natural interest. These are the sorts of places where you will look out of place if you DONT have a camera,-Rich
That is actually sound advice...and something I was going to suggest. I went to a local event the other day alone and felt quietly confident as nearly everyone had cameras. I certainly didn't feel out of place and didn't care if peolpe stared. everyone was expecting to be photographed and I got some good shots. Another couple of outings like that will certainly boost the confidence.

Adrian said:
I used to feel awkward, but now I just behave like I've got a job to do and sort of detach myself.

I felt like that at the weekend, very self conscious and totally embarassed. Once I got into the mind set that I was actually working and not just having some fun it became relatively easy.

Behaving as if you've got a job to do sounds like a great idea but I think it's only going to work if you've got enough experience to get the shots you want fairly quickly. If you're still learning the ropes and have to tinker about with settings and filters then you're going to take longer and look less pro.

In summary then... A good tip but not one that will work as well for newbies.

I would love to have a go at this, but I just haven't got the confidence to go out in town with my camera in hand as I've no wish to get into any arguments.

I would use my mobile phone camera as it's small but everytime I take a photo with it the damn thing makes so much noise, so I don't bother.

If anyone here knows how to remove the sound options for the Sony S700i please let me know as I'd have a bit more confidence with that.

Davey I don't think you can. I believe that phones marketed for the UK aren't allowed to have silent cameras, they are required to make a noise. That's why you can't disable the shutter noise on most phones now.

I do know that some of them can be quietened still, so I don't know how much truth there is in that.

My phone (Orange SPV C500) has an option to turn off the 'shutter' noise. It's completely silent. So you'd think it's be great for candids but it's really hard to take pics without having your hand at a funny angle that doesn't quite look as if you're reading a text. People always look and I think they've sussed me out, even though they probably haven't.

But the pics it takes are thoroughly rubbish so it's hardly wortht it.

I didn't realise so many people felt the same way! I am very, and I mean very awkward taking photos of people that I don't know. I am painfully shy to begin with so that doesn't help me at all. I have to overcome it because people is what really interests me the most I think. I can't be sneaky about it either due to the fact that I have to get close cause I don't have a good lens yet. :( I have asked people from time to time but, I feel stupid when doing so. Most don't seem to mind if you ask though.

Jewel

Back