Do you find as a photographer people sometimes take advantage?

i own a hotel, and i get the same.. people who i havent seen for years call up and say, hey i was thinking of coming to visit ya is that alright.... more like they want a complete freebie... what i now do is offer a reduced mates rates... say 50% off, soon gets rid of them...

just tell them the truth and say that youve been robbed (not literally, as a figure of speech) too many times on the occasion and you would atleast want a small deposit on the event (even £20 isnt hard to spare)

Reading this reminds me of something that happened with a mate of mine - former pro 'togger who'd been doing weddings for years. Was asked to shoot a mate's wedding "as a favour - we can't pay you much, but we'll cover the film costs etc. (that dates it doesn't it!)" He pitched up, took 4-5 rolls of film and enjoyed the rest of the day. In the end he processed the shots, and turned out a basic album and a couple of enlargements, and handed them over to the Mother of the bride while they were away on honeymoon. Whilst handing them over, found out that they were on a 3 week cruise around the caribean. :thinking: And they couldn't afford a few bob for a photographer. Nothing changes I guess.:shrug:

Anyway - 6 weeks later and he's not been contacted by the B&G, not even a thankyou card. So, :naughty: he types up a full invoice for the wedding - at his normal rates, rather than mates rates and posts it to them. Then later that evening, before the bill reaches them, he phones them up... "Hi, It's Martin, how was the honeymoon, good,good. Look - there's been a bit of a mixup - the old dear I use to send out my bills was going through and noticed i'd done a couple of weddings that didn't get billed, and she's sent them belated bills out... er, your's is one of them. Don't worry about it, bring it 'round and i'll endorse it as to be credited - otherwise the old dear will have you in court for it"

So next day they got the bill - realised just what a favour he'd actually done them, had an acute attack of conscience and turned up the following day at his house bearing gifts... Of course this was a few years ago, before this country went completely to wrack and ruin, and I doubt if it'd work now.:shake:

I don't understand how they could afford a 'pro' to do the work but couldn't afford to pay you :thinking:

The amount of times people come to me saying 'my computer isn't working', 'I need a website setup' or 'can you promote it for me' and expecting it done for free. I don't exactly ask them is they could survey my house or give me a full body scan for free so I have no idea where they get their logic :wacky:

I think in there minds you have a camera and they dont it takes that much to take a photo. oh how wrong they are and also its a service.

I would happily do it for free, just to widen my experience, and use them as guinea pigs for my little skill.
Then again I realize that many here do it for a living, and are probably sick doing it for the sake of it. So I can understand the little gratitude given for a job well done.

Interesting that I wasn't the only one then!

Their 'pro' was a friend of the MOB apparently, who decided to book a holiday abroad at the last minute (some pro he was, idiot, if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have had to do the wedding!). I ended up leaving the wedding reception early because I was so tired, it completely ruined my day. Apart from tonight, I'll never be a guest and photographer again. In all, the post processing took me well over 2 weeks, the b&g kept texting and facebooking me to see when the pictures were ready, completely forgetting that I had not only several horse shows booked (paid) after the event, but had 4 horses to look after most days, my 21st birthday and a dissertation to start!

Never again!

Talking of tonight, I am meant to be there at 7.30 (on my head be it if I'm not), leaving at 6:45pm, I'm still in jodhpurs and smell of horse, had no tea and over night bag camera bag nowhere near ready... argh! :puke:

I wouldn't know, I don't have friends.
And things like this remind me why I don't :D

hehe. Now that I like... A man after my own heart - one with few but no doubt very good friends!

I'm too kind:D

On a more serious note. Have any of you deleted files after the B&G failed to cough up ?

mmm... Any breach of contract nullifies it and therefore no onus to keep any photos. Non payment is a pretty clear indication they don't wish to enforce the contract, yes?

I've always said a resounding "NO!" apart from once when I was asked by a hotellier friend to take a few photos of interiors and views. 2 hours' work (including shooting and PP) and we've not had to buy coffees or ouzos for several years. Wouldn't do a wedding if I was paid thousands - too much stress for me!

i know how this feels but not on the scale you guys are talking about. but at my workplace we recieved a memo saying we all had to do a charity thing theamed...in the meno it said we will be sending photographer out to shops to get some picutes of you all. then right on the bottom.. P.S FOA G. lxxxxxx As we know terri take you pictures for you she can do yours this time. i didn't i gave my boss my p&s and said crack on.. i have been asked and have done some in the past but i am not good enough to do it and serve customers at the same time.

but on a lighter note a nice lady gave me a huge helping hand and has little or no money and she asked if i would have ago at taking a picture for her of her kids explained i am rubbish but she said hay if it dosn't work out we can have fun trying..

If you take your camera to any party,you never get paid for any photographs you take

There is a world of difference between taking your own P&S to a party to take a few snaps for your own pleasure vs lugging around multiple pro bodies with a variety of L glass and dirty great 580EX flash guns and being expected to capture the whole event, and enjoy yourself at the same time. It's not so much about the payment as the shear bloody hard graft involved. Yes, shoot weddings for free, for experience, if that serves your own agenda, but being expected to turn up and perform the duties of an unpaid pro, under the laughable premise that you are an invited guest is scandalous. Just say "No.".

There is a world of difference between taking your own P&S to a party to take a few snaps for your own pleasure vs lugging around multiple pro bodies with a variety of L glass and dirty great 580EX flash guns and being expected to capture the whole event, and enjoy yourself at the same time. It's not so much about the payment as the shear bloody hard graft involved. Yes, shoot weddings for free, for experience, if that serves your own agenda, but being expected to turn up and perform the duties of an unpaid pro, under the laughable premise that you are an invited guest is a scandalous. Just say "No.".

Couldn't agree more. I'm now driving instead of drinking, just don't trust myself with my camera and dad's flash when I've had a few :( Completely ruined the night, not looking forward to it now... how can you enjoy yourself when you're constantly watching over your kit all the time, can't go off and dance and just leave kit on the table, nightmare. I even had to change my outfit because I was doing the photography, was wearing a really nice black cocktail dress, now wearing a strappy top and jeans :bang: :thumbsdown:

I'm only taking 1 body tonight because it's not too far from home, but even still I've got a gripped 40D, Sigma 70-200 2.8 and a Sigma 10-20 to watch over and lug around...I'd like to see anybody enjoy themselves as a guest whilst carrying that kit around...

i am not a photographer but if i do a little 'job' for the church magazine say....then they think i can do anything
its not easy declining and saying you really need a professional for this

but i dont really feel i would do a good job anyway...and i like my freedom and dont need money from photography...

I would happily do it for free, just to widen my experience, and use them as guinea pigs for my little skill.
Then again I realize that many here do it for a living, and are probably sick doing it for the sake of it. So I can understand the little gratitude given for a job well done.

Sometimes if you do something for free and they don't get what they expect (be it weddings, PC fix or even a meal) then you can expect anything but "thank you". Some people are nuts, and if they don't pay they probably have higher expectations. That is a paradox, but so far I am yet to find the opposite.

I even had to change my outfit because I was doing the photography, was wearing a really nice black cocktail dress, now wearing a strappy top and jeans :bang: :thumbsdown:

I'm only taking 1 body tonight because it's not too far from home, but even still I've got a gripped 40D, Sigma 70-200 2.8 and a Sigma 10-20 to watch over and lug around...I'd like to see anybody enjoy themselves as a guest whilst carrying that kit around...

im sure you look good in a strappy top and jeans ,anyway if you'd taken another body you could have worn the cocktail dress as well :)

I've made a rod for my own back at work. Anytime a photo needs taking its "oh, ask Andy he's got a very expensive camera". I don't mind too much but my immediate boss does. Sometimes its difficult though especially when the MD demands my presence with camera to take pics of 'important' visitors.
Fotunately all my friends are fed up with me going on about photography so try not to mention it at all.

Andy

A lot of people just don't understand or appreciate the skill and hard work involved in photographing a wedding properly. Some will just think it's just a case of pointing and shooting a camera.

....and 99% of that is due to truckloads of amateurs shooting weddings - and other stuff - and giving it away!

I have a lot of friends in bands, and the most common question i get is:

"can you do us photos at this gig?"
"yes ok, i'll have to charge you for petrol and time, plus i want free entry to the gig"
"oh okay, we cant get you in for free and we cant really afford the petrol, can you still do them?"
"errr no"

As long as I am getting a reasonable deal, I'll do stuff. I was asked to shoot a pre-wedding party and then the wedding itself. I said no. My friend insisted. I still said no. My friend offered me money. I still said no. My friend insisted again. I did the shoots and ended up with a bit of cash and a happy friend.

A friend in need is a pest, the trouble is I like pests.:cautious:

the turn of the screw is the obsequious approach from the 'friends'

then

the incriminations when all isnt well from the 'management'

then

the frantic trying to keep up with a time schedule from the 'task makers'

then

curses and never again mantras emitted from the mouths of babes...'you dummy'

Hmm.

You may remember back in August I photographed my friends' wedding for nothing, as their photographer cancelled on them at short notice. They said it was the difference between having photographs and not, so I said ok, and dad and I photographed the wedding. I asked them if they could afford a £50 hire lens, apparently they could not.

The day I took the photos round to them, they had bought a huge huge plasma tv, must be 60" and it was in their front room. Now I may just be jumping to conclusions here but we didn't even get a thankyou card for doing the wedding, and they now have a lovely new expensive tv?

My dad did another wedding the week after, same situation, people couldn't afford a photographer. He turns up to a wedding which was held in a stately country home with no expense spared (reception in a pub, about the only cost cutting bit of the wedding apparently).

I got roped into photographing my best mate's 21st birthday party tonight, I couldn't say no and so I'm not going to enjoy it half as much knowing I've got to get certain shots etc...

So does anybody else feel like friends always almost expect them to photograph big events? I really didn't enjoy the wedding I did because I was caught up in the photography and running around like a blue arsed fly, and it's going to happen again tonight :( Saying no leaves an awkward situation, especially if I'm going to the event anyway... :shrug:

Am I the only one who gets roped in like this??? :(

Most of my friends don't actually know I'm a photographer.
I'm also in my early twenties so not too many of my friends are getting married yet...

Yes, myself and my other half photographed a wedding 3 weeks ago now. Payment was supposed to be made before wedding, but wasn't - but because we're not nasty we still did it. Haven't had a penny of the £700 remaining balance.

Still, no money, no pictures I'm afraid. Strange how people think we can do without that £700 huh?

The NUJ's advice on late payment and collecting it:
http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/gelattxt.html

Reading this reminds me of something that happened with a mate of mine - former pro 'togger who'd been doing weddings for years. Was asked to shoot a mate's wedding "as a favour - we can't pay you much, but we'll cover the film costs etc. (that dates it doesn't it!)" He pitched up, took 4-5 rolls of film and enjoyed the rest of the day. In the end he processed the shots, and turned out a basic album and a couple of enlargements, and handed them over to the Mother of the bride while they were away on honeymoon. Whilst handing them over, found out that they were on a 3 week cruise around the caribean. :thinking: And they couldn't afford a few bob for a photographer. Nothing changes I guess.:shrug:

Anyway - 6 weeks later and he's not been contacted by the B&G, not even a thankyou card. So, :naughty: he types up a full invoice for the wedding - at his normal rates, rather than mates rates and posts it to them. Then later that evening, before the bill reaches them, he phones them up... "Hi, It's Martin, how was the honeymoon, good,good. Look - there's been a bit of a mixup - the old dear I use to send out my bills was going through and noticed i'd done a couple of weddings that didn't get billed, and she's sent them belated bills out... er, your's is one of them. Don't worry about it, bring it 'round and i'll endorse it as to be credited - otherwise the old dear will have you in court for it"

So next day they got the bill - realised just what a favour he'd actually done them, had an acute attack of conscience and turned up the following day at his house bearing gifts... Of course this was a few years ago, before this country went completely to wrack and ruin, and I doubt if it'd work now.:shake:

That is a fantastic story!!!

late comer, and my two pennies..... but opefully worthy of an addition.

Because i take photos for my wife on a hobby basis, a friend took an interest upon seeing them, he asked if i could do similar shots for him and his better half, except i'd have to get over to birmingham, on a friday night, yet didn't mention costs etc...but i still went..a) because i could get a lift right to the venue, b) because it gave me valuable experience and c) because when i emailed him the photos he said how good they came out, he's posted them on a site AND credited me with taking them...Now i've only just started this year in the pro camera stakes so exposure like this was worth it. He has mentioned that he will post an ad for me where ever he can, within reason and relevant, but also wants my services next year for a major event.

Now there was the rub. I casually entered into the mix costs, before he'd said he owed me a few bevvies from the bar...but he didn't bat an eyelid and asked for costs up front, no questions.

I think you have to nip in the bud quick, if you have to travel, mention it up front the price of petrol, bus fare, cab fare... as yet i cannot even quantify my time vs my experience so am loathe to response as yet, but know i will and he'll probably pay. BUT i feel i brought the subject up early enough for him (and my wife) not to expect freeloader jobs.

It also helped communicating through email (and social networking for wife and initial contact), though i won't hold my breath...i may still be caught out.

If you start working for free - you stay working for free - it is very difficult to pull your way up the ladder - if they got the pics for free once why should they pay the second time? Whatever you shoot - whereever you shoot - the pics are not free to you - time/travel/fuel/camera gear/insurance/computers/hard drives/more camera gear/lenses/back up/ you get the idea.

I've made the mistake of trying to be a guest and a photographer at the same time. If you try to do that then you will fail at one and possibly both. In my experience, shooting a wedding is very demanding of time, skill, concentration, planning and so on and there is no let up between shooting to kick back and relax with a drink and take time out for a friendly chat. Once you've shot the wedding there is then the time required to PP the results, as well as the time preparing in advance, plus the kit bag of valuable, heavy gear to be lugged around and guarded all day long. It just doesn't work out well for the "photographer". The "guest" element doesn't even feature, if you want to do a good job of the photography. It's four days of unpaid work, and that's on top of buying a present.

Having learned the hard way that I'm the one to suffer when doing these "favours", I now simply tell people that if I'm invited as a guest then I shall be a guest, and I will not be taking my camera. If it's for family or friends then I would expect to be there as a guest. Thus any request to take my camera will be greeted with a polite "No". It keeps things far simpler that way.

p.s. at the last wedding I shot as a "favour", there were two other togs there who shoot for a living (not weddings). I was told that my photos were the best of the bunch, and from what I saw of the other efforts I would have to agree. I've been told by the MOB that one of my images could be on the cover of Vogue, and she has the image printed and hung on the wall at home. All I got from the B&G was a "Thank you." email, and a comment that got fed back to me was "Of course his images are good - he was using a £4,000 camera." The fracking cheek of it! And we bought them a gift too. :bang:

I have to disagree with you there Tim, based on my own experience.

I have shot 2 weddings (in total) and both were for very close friends, for free. I was also, of course, invited as a guest to both and thoroughly enjoyed myself and got plastered at the receptions along with everyone else.

They were about a year apart but the amount of work / arrangement I made with the couples were the same for both so I will just explain it once...

I went to the church / venue before the day to do a recce - with the couple (and my missus) - and had a lovely lunch on the way home with my good friends. I don't really consider that to be work, pretty nice day out actually.

On the day, I started out at the Brides house, took some shots of her getting ready, then drove over to the Grooms house to do the same. Went to the church with the Groom and took shots of guests arriving, and then the BM's/Bride, shot the ceremony, signing the register, formals outside afterwards, had a whale of a time shouting directions at everyone and getting the **** taken out of me for doing so. Reportage style after that with my camera in one hand and a glass of champagne in the other while moving around, chatting to the other guests (more friends!) and then on to the reception.... A few shots of the speeches, cutting the cake, first dance. DONE by 9pm, drunk by 10.

During the following week we invited the couple round for dinner and to go through the photos. Binned the duff shots and star rated the rest for a web gallery and for an album. Had a nice evening chatting about the day etc, had a few beers.

Did the same thing again the week after but this time put the albums together (a posh photobook for one couple and a DVD for the other). Another nice meal with good friends and a fun evening.

Like I said I did both for free, in fact I made it my wedding present to them and in the case of the second couple I bought the book for them too.

Did I do this because I am a mug? I don't think so, I had a great time doing it for them. WITH them. It was hardly work. They are my friends and it's good to do nice things for each other. They couldn't have been more appreciative and both the couples and their families loved the photos which obviously made me feel great!

Also, in ten years time no one will remember who gave them the toaster that they threw out 5 years ago....

Obviously if I was making a living from it I would think differently (like I do with IT, as someone else mentioned.. I answer the phone to my family "Have you turned it off and on again?") but having your hobby make people happy is a good thing.

Anyway, back to my point... you CAN be a guest and the photographer and still enjoy yourself. I've done it, twice! And would I do it again? Hell yeah. :D

I'm an amature and hold my hands up way high that I'm at the bottom of a very steep learning curve. However my experience in the past couple of weeks hasn't been great. I don't keep it a secret that I'm not well and that I started photography because it was the only creative outlet left available to me, however someone expects me to jump through hoops for them without so much as a thanks and because of who they are, it's an "hmmm I suppose I'm oblidged then...." kinda thing. Don't get me wrong, I love photography, I love doing portraits, but the attitude of those you're doing it for makes all the difference. At the moment I really don't want to do it, soley because of attitudes...and part of me is considering saying "if you're desperate for them I know someone who can do it for you" and getting them to go with a pro for what they want, which inevitably means that I lose out too, doing something that I enjoy doing - all because of attitudes and being taken for granted.

Its not just photography, we are for ever getting asked to shoot for free, but We are for ever getting asked to provide websites for free or next to nothing, usually with the line

"its a really simple job"

I reckon all tradesmen and practical trades have the same issues

Havent gone through the whole thread but to answer your question "Do you find as a photographer people some take advantage?" Then the answer is yes but only if you let them. In my case mainly family members.

I havent done any paid work yet but I have covered family engagement/pre-weddings and birthdays.

One engagement party I was asked to bring my camera along not realising they didnt actually book a photographer. It wasnt a problem other than I was two hours late... I thought I was coming as a guest :shrug:

On another Pre-Wedding I did, the family asked me why I didnt take any photos on Sunday the day of the Wedding. I simply explained you are paying hundreds if not thousands of pounds for a videographer and photographers I dont want to get in thier way and I rather enjoy the Wedding. There was no issue here but I think they prefered my pictures to the ones from the photographer they hired :LOL:

For my own engagement I had a small event at home and had a family member simply shooting with my camera in auto mode. Pictures came out lovely as the day was nice and there wasnt any issues with lighting... But as soon as I created my DVD slideshow which I spent 4 days on all of a sudden I had everyone asking me whether I can make them a slideshow for free of course lol... Again I simply explained I will provide you the photos and you can make your own slide show... If you really want me to make it I charge £800.00 no one ever asked again.

I have done a few jobs here in work, generally without thanks, and beforehand, they take it for granted that i'll do the work.

Little do they know that the seminar they have arranged for next week which apparently I will take a few shots at, wont be possible because my camera is away for repair at the minute. They'll find out soon enough that they really should ask me before.

Back