Do you have a carry-around camera?

Fuji x100t is always in my work bag. Don't use it as often as I would like but it's there just in case.

The G12. Needs replacing at some point but not sure what with. The G5X wont take filters by the looks of things

Ricoh GR if I'm going to be among people, Sony RX100 for everything else. It took a long time and a s***load of cameras to arrive where I am, but I'm happy. Ish :D

X-F1

Mine was repaired by Fuji out of warranty and hasn't missed a beat since.

I've always wanted to have a quick go camera but could never decide but after reading this the as the rx 100 seems to be a popular choice

The RX100 (no matter which model) is a great little camera!

iPhone 5s is always in my pocket. I usually have a Canon compact in my work bag (no idea what model it is), although it rarely comes out as I have a 25 mile drive to work and aren't allowed to take photographs on site:( It sometimes comes on holidays and days out as it is very pocketable and has something like a 28-300mm zoom, gps, etc.

X100t, failing that Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus.... aka a mobile.

Do I have a carry around camera?

I certainly do...

The 50p Camera Project

Fits in almost any pocket. I've dropped it several times. Cost me 50p from a car boot sale three years ago. Perfect for street - small, dark, looks harmless rather than serious. It is fast, almost silent with a 3 zone focus. I've taken candids of pro photographers, who look around for the shutter noise - never see the camera. I left it in pubs - it always comes back to me. It rattles in my pocket with keys and coins - the clam-shell lens cover protects it. It takes SR44 or LR44 batteries that last yonks.

It loves b/w film, but it also loves Poundland film, and takes photos like this:

Best 50p that I ever spent for a carry around camera.

Last edited:
For a quick day out when I am not specifically taking photos, I carry my Fuji X30. Not exactly trouser or shirt pocket sized but fit in a jacket easily enough.

Lumix LX5 for me. I especially like it for it's handling and quality...small metal body, great lens and works well in all modes and manual.

Do I have a carry around camera?

I certainly do...

The 50p Camera Project

Fits in almost any pocket. I've dropped it several times. Cost me 50p from a car boot sale three years ago. Perfect for street - small, dark, looks harmless rather than serious. It is fast, almost silent with a 3 zone focus. I've taken candids of pro photographers, who look around for the shutter noise - never see the camera. I left it in pubs - it always comes back to me. It rattles in my pocket with keys and coins - the clam-shell lens cover protects it. It takes SR44 or LR44 batteries that last yonks.

It loves b/w film, but it also loves Poundland film, and takes photos like this:

Best 50p that I ever spent for a carry around camera.

Great photos...and they'll still be around in 50 or more years! :)

Another Sony RX100 user, as an "always with me" when I'm not carrying a full outfit.
It's so compact I often underestimate just how good it is, especially shooting raw.

Do other photos have a time limit?
No, not per se, as I'm sure you know.

If you were to ask me where I'd put my money on which normal snap (which is what what many family photos are rather than fine art images for example) taken by your average snapper will still be around after very significant time has elapsed then this is where I'd put it.

Most non enthusiasts who take family photos know very little or nothing of the benefits of archiving or risk management when it comes to protecting their images The vast majority of camera users are not like all of us here.

My point was I like the slightly alternative approach of XA2inmypocket with film and I didn't want to kick off a film 'vs' digital debate ;-).

No, not per se, as I'm sure you know.

If you were to ask me where I'd put my money on which normal snap (which is what what many family photos are rather than fine art images for example) taken by your average snapper will still be around after very significant time has elapsed then this is where I'd put it.

Most non enthusiasts who take family photos know very little or nothing of the benefits of archiving or risk management when it comes to protecting their images The vast majority of camera users are not like all of us here.

My point was I like the slightly alternative approach of XA2inmypocket with film and I didn't want to kick off a film 'vs' digital debate ;-).
No that wasn't my intention, I just always find the concept of one shot being around longer than another due to its original format a puzzling one, as surely it's down to the individual and their retention routine.

All my decent and worthwhile digital shots get printed in books. My negs, well, they're somewhere in the loft! I could put money on which will still be around and enjoyed for years to come and which ones will get lost and unused somewhere in storage if not lost completely :)

Another vote for the Sony RX100. All versions are great cameras. Buy whichever your budget can afford.

Back