Do you have battery grip?

My 5D3 is as naked as the day it was born, enough of a lump as it is, so for me no battery grip. However my old tank 1D2 has a big enough battery/compartment to not need a grip (dont think they do one anyway) and my Mamiya 645 film camera has one built in as it's the AFD model and needs those 6 batteries to drive all the electronics, makes it a bit unwieldy though.
Not a pro so dont really run the battery/batteries down in a days shooting, if I did I'd carry a spare batter for the 5D3.

My cameras have always had grips on when shooting wildlife but then I've always had a large heavy lens on which to attach them to. This genuinely does help when shooting on a tripod as both my Pentax f*250-600mm and my current nikon 400mm f2.8 are front heavy, putting the grip on allows me to slide the lens back a bit in the Wimberley clamp which helps to balance it out.

With setups like this where the lens is held securely on a tripod and you rotate the lens to go portrait, having vertical controls is great, especially if you use it a lot, not to mention doubling up on batteries etc.

Nikon grips are poorly designed.

Having used Pentax grips for years I'm used to having my controls duplicated on the grip. On Nikon grips you have some of the controls duplicated on the grip not and not all of them. With the D500 having the ability to quickly adjust focus modes on the front function buttons it means that when I shoot in portrait with a Nikon grip I have to twist my arm and use the camera controls instead of the ones on the grip. It defeats the whole point of having one and they are ridiculously expensive to boot!

All my DSLRs and my Pentax Z-1p have grips (the Z-1p grip isn't actually a battery grip but makes the camera more comfortable to hold).

I guess it's just because I like the duplication and being able to orientate the camera quite easily. Extra battery too. Big bonus of the Pentax grips is that you can some the remote control and a spare SD card in the battery tray, as well as the battery..... Grips for the K-3 and D500 were special offers with the bodies, grips were bought on PU (I think I bought your K-1 grip on PU Danny) or here.

My four Canon bodies all have a grip attached. Handy to have two batteries on board but the main reason is having the additional shutter and other buttons when using the camera portrait orientation.

All mine have grips on because I prefer them that way, I like the extra battery,I like having a space for a spare memory card (in the Pentax grips) and no matter what anyone else says it helps balance the camera when using a large lens like the Sigma 150-600mm sport or Pentax 150-450mm. When shooting light with a smaller lens I just take the grip off.

I got one for my 70D but found it too unwieldy. I've used the camera without the grip for a full days shooting at Goodwood 600+ shots and still not emptied the battery. I've finally started to use the grip as i've bought the Sigma 150-600mm and it helps balance the lens on the gimbal.

For the sake of not wanting to create another thread, allow me to ask this here.

Apologies for phrasing this not right but does shooting with a grip allow for better handheld shots ? As in with "more of a camera" to hold, can you push the boundaries in regards to having a longer shutter speed. I have a D5500 and the longest (Shutter speed) handheld photo I've taken is 1/20. Can a grip facilitate a longer hand held shutter speed ? This is a point of inquiry as I know someone who has a grip but they plan on selling but offered it to me for free, so I was wondering is it worth the extra space in my bag.

Kind Regards,

It will make the camera heavier which will reduce the impact of hand tremors but how that relates to a reduction in shutter speed I have no idea. I found by battery grip made my camera more awkward to use so I no longer use it.

When I had my 40D I did add a grip to improve battery power lasting all day plus the additional controls for 'portrait' orientation was a boon.

Since then on my 7D and 5D3 never felt the same need......one battery lasts all day, on the conttols well I just cope.

It's nothing related to battery life, its if the additional mass facilitates hand held shooting. I don't think I've ever depleted a battery over the course of a single trip with my camera and I usually lug around a spare as well just in case. I would imagine its convenient having both batteries together. The 2nd to last comment is logical in the respect that something heavier is more likely stand up to movement.

I've loaned out my 35mm F1.8 to someone so my primary lens is my 18-300. It doesn't sound ideal but I'd rather try this, upping up the shutter speed is more ideal for me than getting a proper tripod as I want to be free moving not to mention my backpack is fairly compact plus I commute via bus so I don't my journeys to be laborious.

Ok, just to add context.

I use my 100-400mm Canon zoom handheld a lot........balance might be improved by a grip but when handholding with whatever lens and sorry if I state the obvious but I balance the combo in/on my left hand. The right hand "steers" and shoots ;)

PS I note it could be available to you for free.....why not try it out and then if does not feel right return it so that he can sell it???

Last edited:
No because the only two cameras I have left are pro bodies.

They are more stable / balanced with a good size lens

I got 2 single digit Nikons and three D8xx with grip because
the original batteries are Mickey Mouse packs so I use third
party rechargeables and the grips fit better in my paws!

Can a grip facilitate a longer hand held shutter speed ?
Maybe, a bit, but it depends on technique and other factors which are personal and/or situational, so nobody can give you a definitive answer.

You don't say what lens(es) you use and that could be a factor. If its a lightweight lens, a heavier camera can make it less susceptible to hand tremors. If it's a heavyweight lens, a heavier camera can make you more prone to fatigue and hence more prone to camera shake.

I know someone who has a grip but they plan on selling but offered it to me for free, so I was wondering is it worth the extra space in my bag.
If it's free, why not just take it and test it?

Another thing to ponder over, if you shoot any sort of fast action then in some cameras like the D700 it gives you a faster FPS rate

For me, this is the only reason to bother. I have one for the D300, bought when they were cheap secondhand after the camera had been discontinued. The speed boost is quite significant in this case. Even so, it sits in the box waiting for a suitable occasion like a cycle race. Though it's better designed than many of these things, it just adds too much bulk and weight to use routinely - I'd rather carry a spare battery.

I got 2 single digit Nikons and three D8xx with grip because
the original batteries are Mickey Mouse packs so I use third
party rechargeables and the grips fit better in my paws!

Nothing wrong with the batteries in my D800 - I've never had a fully charged battery run out on me, and have no reason to doubt the CIPA rating of 900 shots per charge that Nikon quotes. Might be different if you use Live View all the time, or need to take thousands of shots between charges, of course. I'd almost like some sort of baby grip for the Fuji X100T, which really does have Mickey Mouse batteries - I've found myself running low on the third battery of the afternoon with this camera.

Nothing wrong with the batteries in my D800

I did not have that good experiences with mine… in fact, the D800E
was unusable on jobs. After a week, I move to Eneloop and all was
in more predictable performances.

Having just checked back on my first post in this thread (Nov 17) when my grip arrived. I simply couldn’t do without one now! I love the ease of vertical shooting and my camera feels toy like without one.

I did not have that good experiences with mine… in fact, the D800E
was unusable on jobs. After a week, I move to Eneloop and all was
in more predictable performances.

Interesting. I use Eneloops (the old 1900 Mah ones) in my 7D2 grip as they discharge slower in use than my Lp-E6n + copies do on the shelf!

I have little idea how old these cell are, they are early Eneloops that is all I can say, but I tested them before using them in my 7D2 grip and they still had 2135 Mah on board after lying idle for 2 to 3 years - not bad for 1900's! My Lithium's for the 7D2 can't do this after a week!

Years ago I bought a Canon EOS-3 (which I still have and use) and Canon had a special offer on at the time, I could have a free Speedlite or a free power booster grip (battery grip), which took 8 AA size batteries, so I chose the battery grip on the grounds that I could buy a 3rd party flash at about half the price of a Canon speedlite but couldn't (in those days) buy a 3rd party PB-E2 battery grip! Also, if I couldn't find one of the 2CR5 lithium batteries the camera used, I could run it off AA batteries using the grip. Plus, it also increased the FPS rate to 7 frames per second. I staked my claim and the grip arrived and fitted the camera like a glove and looked great, it also doubled up the shutter button, function wheel, etc. when using the camera in portrait position, and build-quality wise it was a thing of beauty.

Long story short, other than testing it to make sure it worked I've never used it, as it made a pro-spec weight SLR even heavier. However, I've kept it and I'm still glad I chose it. If 2CR5 batteries ever become obsolete (or very expensive) I'll still be able to use the camera with the power grip fitted and loaded with AA batteries. If I ever need 7 FPS from a film camera (unlikely) I can use the grip. Also, if I'd chosen a free Speedlite it would probably be worth about £50 these days if I could find a buyer, whereas the PB-E2 grip seems to be quite sought after and changes hands for over £100 these days in mint condition.

I've also bought a battery grip for a Canon EOS 30 film camera that I use; once again, if the lithium batteries the camera takes become obsolete or expensive I can run it off standard or rechargeable AAs. Would I buy a battery grip for a modern DSLR? Only if it made a small camera easier to handle... but then again, I probably wouldn't buy a camera that didn't fit my rather large hands in the first place. Or if I was going to keep the camera for may years and the battery grip gave a degree of future-proofing against not being able to replace the battery the camera used if it stopped holding its charge and I could run it via standard AA batteries via the grip.

Get a 1dx2 or a D5, the grip is built in.

I have used one on my X-T2 since I got it (was free due to a promotion at the time) and I'm hooked on it. It handles so much better attached and the extra joystick and shutter button / scroll wheels are great when shooting portrait, not to mention the battery life.

Where it falls down for me is size. It's now harder to fit into my ONA Bowery bag and as such, I've ordered an X100F for a light carry, family shoots and travelling with the wife and kids.

Who knew a 'free' grip would cost me so much money!

Both my nikons have grips and my canon is a pro body - so built in.

I love grips - my first DSLR - Nikon d1x has the vertical release and I’ve always loved using that, plus the improved balance. I don’t like how the camera and feel like it’s peeling away from my hand.

It’s a preference thing - I don’t worry about weight - pro bodies and glass are very heavy (especially the older stuff, I.e the stuff I can afford) so it’s a pay to play scenario for me.

Another reason for using the grip is so I can use the Canon E1 hand strap which connects to the grip and right camera neck strap eyelet without interfering with the tripod socket (unlike the Canon E2 hand strap).

Another grip user here. Would I be lost without it, no! However it is a nice addition, makes the camera feel much nicer in the hand and the portrait shutter button is really very nice. I bought mine used for £120, which was an okay price I feel, but the RRP for Nikon grips is really stupid.

D800 + MB-D12 running AA's to also get 6fps in DX mode.

Back