Do you keep the boxes?

I generally flat pack them and keep them in the largest box

Always have but I stick them in the loft. I won't be selling any of my kit but might do one day and I think its just nicer if you have the original packing.

How did you choose?

I started with the boxes I no longer have the original stuff from ;-)

I'm not that bad!!!

I went for the oldest first but still had to keep some of those, some kit comes double boxed and actually did use one of those a few weeks ago when my DAC failed.

Now I have some space for new boxes ;->

Yes I keep all the boxes. Great for reselling them. I've even kept the box for my tripod. I put the tripod back in the box with a carry bag over the top of the head then it doesn't get dusty.

What other proof of purchase can you provide?
You can use a bank statement or credit card statement, Paypal receipt if paid by Paypal.
Many retailers will also have records such as your name, address etc for high value items which they can search for.

I guess, if you are so inclined, even a recording of you making the purchase would suffice.

Last edited:
The only boxes I've ever kept for more than a few months has been camera gear boxes. And I've sold a couple of used lenses complete with box ..... the only things I've ever sold, or attempted to sell that comes in a box.

I guess, if you are so inclined, even a recording of you making the purchase would suffice.
Well considering there is a market for people unboxing things, I'm sure there'll be a market on YouTube for watching me order lenses :ROFLMAO:

Only 1 or 2% of my lenses came in a proper box. Due to the rarity I've tended to keep them.
When it comes to bodies a higher proportion have come in original boxes, but it's still under 50%. I usually keep those as well so I can find the manual if I ever need to refer to it :)

Well considering there is a market for people unboxing things, I'm sure there'll be a market on YouTube for watching me order lenses :ROFLMAO:
I've seen quite a few e-bay listings with 'box only' in the title/description. From the prices being asked I assumed these where just trying to catch out buyers who don't read carefully.

I keep the boxes and store them flat, they dont take up that must space in a cupboard.

I didn't used to, but lately I've been chucking them in the spare room.

It's not a dealbreaker with me though - I have bought pre-owned gear that hasn't had it's original box, never said I'd pay less or thought anything less of the seller.

Two reasons

1) second hand buyers like the box (and will haggle down anything without a box)
2) its a lot easier to pack and ship items when you have the original packaging
100% this. I always find a way to keep the boxes and haven't got rid of one yet however if absolutely necessary then I'd get rid of them but would have to be more than a reason of just moving house.

Just read an article in AP in which they do suggest that having the box will be advantageous. Firstly, people prefer to buy if there are original boxes and dealers are likely to offer more when selling to them. I have very little experience myself as I always buy new except the very first SLR I owned. OK it was only a Practika Nova but it barely lasted a year. However, I did trade in my Canon EOS 5D2 and some lenses a couple of years ago and got a very good price but not just because I had boxes. My cameras all have a relatively low shutter count and are clean and undamaged. I do use them but look after them. This is another reason why I do not buy second hand as I have seen the awful kit others have bought.

Dave

Last edited:
I always keep the boxes for anything tech related,
Moving them on makes it easier to pack and ship. Certain things might have bits `n` bobs that I will never use, so stored in the correct place.

I bought a second hand lens from a firm, it arrived no box and wrapped in bubble wrap. I paid a lot for it but the presentation of it arriving in such a casual state but me right off it. I did try it on my camera but had lost the excitment of a new lens. Tried it, just didn't like it, boxed it up and sent it back. I felt the firm could have found a box and make sure it was secure for posting it. I forgot it didn't come in a case either.

I for one have always kept my camera/lens boxes as someone said previously its good to have them should you want to sell anything on. its not just camera gear either i have boxes for alsorts from Mountain Bike stuff ,Motorcycle parts, Old I Phones and I Pads and even a box for an Ebac dehumidifier which has come in handy before when it was returned for repair.
So keep hold of your boxes.

Boxes, incl all packaging materials. And sight of the purchasing docs.
Else I won't buy it ;)

Back