Do you keep the boxes?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Just in the middle of moving house and my other half wonder's why I have kept all the boxes for my camera gear.
So my question is do you keep yours? Or do you bin them after the warranty expires. And does it add any value to the gear?

Two reasons

1) second hand buyers like the box (and will haggle down anything without a box)
2) its a lot easier to pack and ship items when you have the original packaging
:agree:
also I find that generally people who have the sort of mindset to keep boxes, like me anally retentive, tend to take better care of their kit.

Last edited:
In fact, I only have one lens which I bought, used, boxless and it irritates me. In fact, I’m tempted to put a “wanted” up for the correct box! (Sony Zeiss 24-70 f4)

Two reasons

1) second hand buyers like the box (and will haggle down anything without a box)
:plus1:

Boxes aren't actually required for warranty claims as far as I know, just need the original receipt.

I've tended to keep them, mainly in case of a resale (which I've never actually done). For the last 15-20 years, I mainly bought second hand due to very few cameras (and no lenses) being made that I want to buy. That said, my most recent lens did actually come boxed.

Given that I've seen empty boxes being offered for sale, I assume that they have some value.

Yep, same. Top of my wardrobe is full of boxes, much to my wife's annoyance!

This. If I get rid of gear it usually goes to MPB. Afaik, they’re not bothered about the original packing but it saves me having to buy loads of bubble wrap to ship the camera etc in a box that is oversized.

Slightly off topic - when I got my new computer from Mesh a couple of weeks back there was a text document, ‘Important. Please read!’, on the desktop stating that Mesh would not accept any warranty claims if the computer was not shipped back in the original packaging. I‘ll be keeping them boxes extra safe then....

I understand it can be a big issue to sell Leica kit without the box and even then the box has to have a matching serial number. There's also a school of thought that having the box makes it more likely that the item was legally bought, since I doubt burglars are going to go up the loft to find the boxes! ;)

Always keep the box, learnt this at the tender age of 16 when I sold of my Matchbox car collection, 2-3 times more pennies if in the original boxes. Think the principle is the same with everything.....

Yes ALWAYS. Not only that but keep absolutely everything. This is expensive equipment and people like it all complete so helps when you want to upgrade / change system or whatever the reason may be

Slightly off topic - when I got my new computer from Mesh a couple of weeks back there was a text document, ‘Important. Please read!’, on the desktop stating that Mesh would not accept any warranty claims if the computer was not shipped back in the original packaging. I‘ll be keeping them boxes extra safe then....

I did not realise they were still in business, I had one many years ago.

I try to keep photography gear boxes. When I sell it tends to be through Wex, MPB and LCE and having a box or not does not seem to impact the price.

I understand it can be a big issue to sell Leica kit without the box and even then the box has to have a matching serial number. There's also a school of thought that having the box makes it more likely that the item was legally bought, since I doubt burglars are going to go up the loft to find the boxes! ;)
Some original Leica boxes go for crazy money. One collector whose collection came up for sale recently actually had custom boxes made in the style of the originals for his boxless pieces. I tend to keep boxes, but it doesn't really bother me when something comes unboxed, and I wouldn't pay a significant premium for one.

This. If I get rid of gear it usually goes to MPB. Afaik, they’re not bothered about the original packing but it saves me having to buy loads of bubble wrap to ship the camera etc in a box that is oversized.

Oddly enough, I recently returned a laptop for service by Lenovo, and they told me not to ship it in the original box because I wouldn't get it back. So I used an old box and, sure enough, it came back in a different one that was nothing like the original.

Oddly enough, I recently returned a laptop for service by Lenovo, and they told me not to ship it in the original box because I wouldn't get it back. So I used an old box and, sure enough, it came back in a different one that was nothing like the original.

That has happened to me with Canon

Like others I keep them mainly in case I sell it in the future. Buyers, especially on here, seem to like it coming with the original box. Im not one of these that will buy a box if it didn’t come with one just to sell it later as ‘boxed’ (I don’t understand that as surely the buyer will know it’s not the original box as the serial numbers won’t match. If having a box is important to them surely having the original box will be important too).

One thing I’d say why I’d buy a boxed camera or lens over unboxed is on a place like ebay (I try to avoid there anyway as not had good experiences on there). if it’s boxed its more unlikely to be stolen. The chances are a camera or lens that’s been stolen won’t have its original box included. Ive seen people sell cameras that don’t have a battery charger or a camera body cap. Those are clear signs to me to be wary that it could be stolen.
keep camera boxes is a slipery slope as you end up with a cupboard full of boxes including for an accessories. Ive started to even keep boxes for thing like Lee filter adapters. It gets ridiculous!

Last edited:
ive got all the camera/lens/filter boxes as it seemed that was the expected thing to do if you may sell them. they are all in the loft.

The boxes are meant to be kept!! ;)

Yes, always, I have every camera and lens box since 2007.

Not just camera boxes, I keep regular cardboard boxes too. If an item arrives in the post in a smallish cardboard box that's double-walled and sturdy, you can bet that I'll say "ooh that's a nice box, I'll keep that for later", and then put it in the loft with the rest. If I put it in the recycling you just know that the very next week I'll need to post something and won't have a box to put in it!

Wow definitely looks like I am not alone then in wanting to keep them for any possible resale in the future.

Reactions: Sky
I definitely keep all the boxes of expensive things and up in the loft they go. Cameras, lenses, watches and phones and various fruit based products.
It is so much better to offer the original packaging in a sale or exchange, in my opinion.

The only one I could not get up there was a 27" iMac box, so that was recycled.

Yes and it bloody annoys me when I buy something off Ebay expecting a box and it comes without, or even worse they package it in the box and wrap brown tape all round it.

So much so I have an advert in the wanted section right this minute for a 7D MKII box.

Just in the middle of moving house and my other half wonder's why I have kept all the boxes for my camera gear.
So my question is do you keep yours? Or do you bin them after the warranty expires. And does it add any value to the gear?
I keep my boxes. Mainly because I move a lot and it makes it easy to move. And when I figure at some point in the future I will resell them when they are replaced. At that point I have a box I can ship them with and users like getting the box. Keep in mind this is only for lenses and cameras. Everything else is in the bin.

I keep the boxes for camera bodies and lenses. All the boxes for accessories, e.g. flash are recycled.

Back