"Do you THINK Scotland will vote yes and gain Independence"

What do you THINK the result will be

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a startling aside, go visit http://www.scotreferendum.com/ and tell me what their policy is on EU membership - I can't find one. Which seems odd.

Immigration policy is in chapter 7

Immigration

The choices open to us

One of the major gains from independence for Scotland will be responsibility for our own immigration policy. Currently immigration is a reserved matter, and the Westminster Government's policy for the whole of the UK is heavily influenced by conditions in the south east of England. Westminster has also adopted an aggressive approach to immigration, asylum seekers and refugees, culminating in the recent controversy over advertisements to tell people to leave the UK and "go home".

Scotland has a different need for immigration than other parts of the UK. Healthy population growth is important for Scotland's economy. One of the main contributors to Scotland's population growth is migrants who choose to make Scotland their home. In future our enhanced economic strategy will also do more to encourage young people to build their lives and careers within Scotland and to attract people to live in Scotland.

Scotland's differing demographic and migration needs mean that the current UK immigration system has not supported Scotland's migration priorities. The current Westminster approach is strongly focused on reducing the overall number of migrants and introducing caps for certain categories of skilled individuals. In April 2012, the Westminster Government stopped the post-study work visa, which allowed recent graduates to work or set up a business in the UK for 24 months thus retaining skilled and educated graduates as part of the UK labour force. Westminster has also set financial maintenance thresholds for most migrants at a standard level across the UK despite variations in average earnings. With independence, each of these decisions will be for Scottish governments, with policy choices made on the basis of Scotland's needs and priorities.

Historically Scotland's population has grown at a lower rate compared to the rest of the UK. The latest population projections suggest that Scotland's workforce will not grow as rapidly as the UK as a whole
Scotland's population needs are therefore different to the rest of the UK and Scotland has a clear economic rationale for growing our population - in particular our working age population. The Government Economic Strategy sets out a target "to match average European (EU-15) population growth over the period from 2007 to 2017, supported by increased healthy life expectancy in Scotland over this period".

Scotland is not well served by Westminster's decisions on immigration and, given our specific circumstances, finding the right approach for Scotland's economy and society is an important part of ensuring a more sustainable future for our nation.

An independent Scotland, as a modern democracy, will meet our international obligations and play a responsible role on the world stage. We will demonstrate our respect for international law, human rights and social justice in offering asylum to those seeking a place of refuge from persecution, war, natural disaster or other major crises. Scotland already plays its part in efforts to provide a home for refugees as part of the UK and will do so as an independent country.

The asylum process in an independent Scotland must be underpinned by an emphasis on robust, fair, socially-responsible and thorough decision-making, with clear adherence to human rights and equality principles and to the rule of law.

Our priorities for action

Migrants have played an important part throughout Scottish history in enriching and renewing our culture and boosting the economy of the country. We will welcome people who want to come to work and live in Scotland.

We plan to continue in the current Common Travel Area with the rest of the UK and Ireland so there will be no need for border checks between an independent Scotland and England. The Common Travel Area already allows for different and independent systems within Ireland and the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. This flexibility in the Common Travel Area will enable us to implement our own design for a controlled and more flexible immigration system.

As a full member of the EU, Scottish borders will remain open to EU nationals exercising their treaty rights, just as Scots are free now to move throughout the EU.

For non-EU nationals, independence will enable us to develop and operate a controlled, transparent and efficient immigration system. This Government will take forward a points-based approach targeted at particular Scottish requirements. The system will enable us to meet the needs of Scottish society with greater flexibility, for example by providing incentives to migrants who move to live and work in more remote geographical areas, assisting with community sustainability, or adding new categories of skills.

We plan to lower the current financial maintenance thresholds and minimum salary levels for entry, to better align them with Scottish average wages and cost of living. This will open up greater opportunities for key skilled individuals from overseas who could play important roles in our society and economy and fill vital vacancies in individual businesses.

A particular issue for Scotland is the post-study work visa. There are over 30,000 international students from more than 150 countries in Scotland; over 11 per cent of all students studying in Scotland are drawn from elsewhere in the EU and about 10 per cent are from the rest of the world[295]. This Government plans to reintroduce the post-study work visa. This visa will encourage more talented people from around the world to further their education in Scotland, providing income for Scotland's education institutions and contributing to the local economy and community diversity.

An independent Scotland will have the opportunity for a new model of asylum services separate from immigration. We propose that a Scottish Asylum Agency should oversee asylum applications. The process will be both robust and humane, and we will continue Scotland's present approach of promoting the integration of refugees and asylum seekers from the day they arrive, not just once leave to remain has been granted (as is the case in the rest of the UK). In an independent Scotland, we will close Dungavel, end the practice of dawn raids and inhumane treatment of those who have exercised their legitimate right to seek asylum. If a failed asylum seeker is a risk to the public, secure accommodation will be sought whilst steps are taken to remove them. If there is a need for forcible removals, these will be undertaken with respect for human rights. Independence will also afford the opportunity to address asylum seekers' access to employment, education and accommodation.

Last edited:
That would neatly answer the issue of currency.

My rather cynical guess is that this is why they are unwilling to mention Europe. The pound plan really doesn't hold water but I bet it's more popular than using the Euro.

My rather cynical guess is that this is why they are unwilling to mention Europe. The pound plan really doesn't hold water but I bet it's more popular than using the Euro.

Why would Scotland want to use it's enemies currency and have a currency they cannot control other than use it. At least with the Euro, they have a (limited) input. If Salmond said Eurozone was his aim, I'd respect him more.

Immigration policy is in chapter 7

Immigration

The choices open to us

Thanks - I see lots of references in passing to "as a full member of the EU" so I guess there must be another document somewhere that explains how this will be possible. Page 217 of the right riveting document says that Scotland will become a member - but accepts there's no precedent for this and seems to conflict with the bit on currency. In fact, the rather bold idea seems to be that by not complying with the convergence criteria they wouldn't be allowed into the eurozone (so miraculously get into the EU but get to choose what currency).

It's a neat solution and 2 nobel laureates have worked on it so who am I to argue against it. But I don't see any reference to the EU ratifying this plan.

My gut feel is that all this will be irrelevant. It's going to be closer than people expected and Cameron seems to be doing everything he can to upset people into voting yes, but I still think the answer on Friday will be no.

1. Low corporation tax to attract business to build here
2. Industry. Scotland needs to attract car builders here, why are cars being made in the rUK but none built here. We do have the land and the people who can do it. How that is achieved, grants, discounts etc. We nearly got Hyundi to build cars near Edinburgh. We want good insdustry jobs here. These bring employment to communities, taxible saleries to the government. A win win.
3. A welfare state that caters for the genuinely disabled and unable to work, but not one that caters for the lazy/won't work.
4. Immigration points based system. We want to attract good people to Scotland. Not the dross that hides in container ships that come accross the chanel. A tougher welfare system would sort that. Illegal immigrants found sneaking in, shot dead on site.
5. Education reform. A higher standard of basic school education. Scrap the free uni idea, it is costly and its a choice based thing. There are people studying hopeless subjects being a drain on the state when they could be in FTE.
6. Low personal taxation. Want people to work and prosper here, reward them, not penalize them. Companies have high paid staff that make decisions, massive income taxes deter people from a country, not attract them.
7. Oil. Invest the revenues for the future. Yes a big chunk has to go to rUK. It still will, but the Scots need to invest the revenues into various stocks/shares/cash/bonds/property to ensure long term fiscal security.
8. Low airport taxes, something the SNP have proposed.
9. A small but efficient public sector. One that is run like an effective private sector company. Nurses, doctors, teachers, police officers, firebrigade. Excessive mutli tiered management and paper work heavy admin needs to go. Public sector employment costs the government, it doesn't pay into it.
9. Lower fuel taxes, Scotland has a rural economy and a thriving whisky thing. It needs to be more profitable, and more attractive to people to come here and for them to make more profits. More profits, more tax.
10. Renewable energy, it is all well and good for the rural areas where hydro electric can work. But for the higher demands of the central belt, nuclear power is the way.
11. 140mph speed limits. Cos I like 'em...
12. Alochol: somehow promote whisky drinking responsibly, but at the same time Scotlands population drink too much. The state of Glasgow at night, and the violence. It needs to stop. Heavy taxation, or hard punishment for drink related violence.

Sounds like a UKIP manifesto.

Guys, I'm closing this for now until we've had a chance to discuss whether or not it's essentially the same as the other thread on the go :) I know this one's got a poll but it can easily enough be transferred if that's what's decided. I think :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back