Documentary photography

So your massive rant on [ironically] post #69 wasn't a thread derailer?

Even worse you post that and then refuse to answer replies because it's 'off topic'?

Give your head a serious shake.

So your massive rant on [ironically] post #69 wasn't a thread derailer?

Even worse you post that and then refuse to answer replies because it's 'off topic'?

Give your head a serious shake.

Regardless of post #69, I realised it was a subject that warranted it's own thread. Whether I realised that before, or after writing it is irrelevant. So seeing as you're here only to insult me... that's pretty much all I have to say to you.... Cock (Northern expression of endearment).

There's a world of difference saying someone is acting like X and that they actually are X.

Never mind.

Any movement on this front, or has it died the death?

Any movement on this front, or has it died the death?
Still waiting on admin for a final call on this one, its not called "Slack media" for nothing you know. :D

I'll bump it in the Staffroom again (y)

I think there ought to be room for a section to sweep up docu and genres loosely related to it.
I think docu can be one image or several, as apposed to "study" which has to be a series of images.

Is a "study" different to a project ?, well, a little maybe, I dunno.

So is it a section for Documentary, Studies/Projects, Street....??, Street has been a long time coming

:tumbleweed:

I've replied to the staff room thread with a few of my thoughts. There's no point copying them into here as they encompass a few other issues. I've a couple of ideas and I think on the face of it, somewhere specific for Documentary Photography isn't a problem :)

Ta. :)

Ignoring this won't make it go away. :D

Last edited:
Not sure what the problem is here. One of the most influential and prolific genres of photography and it needs a debate? The sub-forums are too prescriptive, and it causes a problem... Projects become endless 52s... people becomes shots of kids.... It's bound to happen, I know, but creation of specific forums such as Documentary, and perhaps also creating a forum actually called "365s and 52s" will allow the "Projects" forum to be used for.... err.. projects.

In the hope that this is close to being decided upon........but not that close....

Could I just make the point that a personal project is not necessarily of a documentary nature. I've just finished a personal project - possibly just the first stage of it - and it would be good to post some of the results on here, but it wouldn't come under documentary.

So I'd definitely add my vote for a personal project section. As a photographer personal projects keep me going.

I'm easy with the label. I think "Personal Projects" would be fine.

I'm easy with the label. I think "Personal Projects" would be fine.

I agree Ed, the name of the forum would just need to be something that sets individual projects apart from the 52's and 365 challenges I think.

I think some photographers' strength is being able to complete long term projects rather than regularly being able to come up with individual (erm...) masterpieces.

I don't know if that's my 'strength' but it's what I've become interested in - both in making and looking at.

In the hope that this is close to being decided upon........but not that close....

Could I just make the point that a personal project is not necessarily of a documentary nature. I've just finished a personal project - possibly just the first stage of it - and it would be good to post some of the results on here, but it wouldn't come under documentary.

So I'd definitely add my vote for a personal project section. As a photographer personal projects keep me going.

Documentary is broad as a subject. Most projects have documentary elements, and I'm sure any longer term project would be ideally placed in a documentary forum.

as 'may' have already been mentioned theres already a "projects and themres" all thats needed is to stuff all the 52sand 365s into a sub forum so we can find the other stuff

I feel personally that for most photography to be meaningful then it has to have a backstory or be part of a larger focus. Be it whether that is personal to the photographer or a wider issue. If people want a sub-forum then why not. It's not a requirement to have to look there if you'd prefer not to.

Saying that, as mentioned at the start of the thread, I've seen too many photographs in high contrast B&W with the prerequisite 'I sat down and spoke with this person, we got on great, i bought him a sandwich' then exploited the sh!it out of them on a fb page/forum for likes. DigitalRev had a video touching on these kind of cliches recently which made me chuckle.

Saying that, as mentioned at the start of the thread, I've seen too many photographs in high contrast B&W with the prerequisite 'I sat down and spoke with this person, we got on great, i bought him a sandwich' then exploited the sh!it out of them on a fb page/forum for likes.

I'm sure anything like that would receive a fair critique. ;)

I feel personally that for most photography to be meaningful then it has to have a backstory or be part of a larger focus. Be it whether that is personal to the photographer or a wider issue. If people want a sub-forum then why not. It's not a requirement to have to look there if you'd prefer not to.

Saying that, as mentioned at the start of the thread, I've seen too many photographs in high contrast B&W with the prerequisite 'I sat down and spoke with this person, we got on great, i bought him a sandwich' then exploited the sh!it out of them on a fb page/forum for likes. DigitalRev had a video touching on these kind of cliches recently which made me chuckle.

^this....

https://SPAM/@severin07/sebastião-salgado-s-advice-for-young-photographers-today-94d21cb3086f

It's bound to happen, I know, but creation of specific forums such as Documentary, and perhaps also creating a forum actually called "365s and 52s" will allow the "Projects" forum to be used for.... err.. projects.

Amen.

Frankly I find the 52s and 365s far too much noise to try to find actual projects in amongst them, so I rarely go in there. I am currently finding myself drawn toward taking on a particular project, so it would be its natural home

Mind you, it took several months to get a forum for Architecture & Urban (which I believe I coined as the sub-forum title) that was separate from Landscape or General

Last edited:
Bumpity, bump.:wave:

Ooh I'm late to the party but I like the idea of a documentary section, since most of what I shoot is basically this.

as 'may' have already been mentioned theres already a "projects and themres" all thats needed is to stuff all the 52sand 365s into a sub forum so we can find the other stuff

That'll do, yes. No sign of that either though.

I have never been that interested in "singe shots"
I am far more inclined to look at and shoot a series of shots, of an "Event" or "Happening" or especially showing a "work in progress"
The number of shots is only limited by the need to tell that particular story. and can be a few as two or three but as many, as a selection from, several hundred as in a building and construction.
They can be purely factual or artistically themed... what ever is relevant to the situation.... but "pretty pretty" almost never.

I would prefer not to see "themed single shots", such as portraits, as they would be better shown elsewhere.

I definitely support Pookeyhead Idea.

The weeks fly by!

Anyone got any ideas how to chivvy this along? :thinking:

A strike.
Civil disobedience.
Man the barricades.

:)

I do wish we could see some movement on it.

Just a thought Simon, given that the man with the spanners was at the Meggameet, did you take the opportunity to harangue him about it? :p

In the meantime, I'll raise it upstairs. ;)

Back