Does Anyone Do Origami?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Genuine question. :) I was rather ripped to pieces for admitting that I'm an origami fan on another forum (it means that I'm gay, apparently), so I'm all prepared for it to happen again. :D

It's such a lost art. No bugger does It anymore. It's also incredibly difficult to come by any decent origami paper. It's not cheap.

The modular stuff seems to work best as ornaments. It's fairly easy to do, but time consuming. I've not progressed much further.

2ijkmea.jpg

This is an arty forum, so someone must do it. :cautious:

I'm sure it's not quite what you had in mind when you asked the question but my eldest daughter (she's only 11) is obsessed with it.

They had somebody visit the school to do a demo and ever since no paper is safe.

At first it was paper boats, swans etc - the sort of things that many kids do but she's been online looking for more and more elaborate creations.

She's certainly hooked and who am I to stand in the way of her creative streak.

Excellent reply, actually! I got into it during primary school, and we had some Japanese visitors not long afterwards, trying to teach us it. I already knew their designs though, so they were a bit miffed when I finished the task without their help.

Make sure she keeps it up. We need to keep the art alive. :D

Eee, memories of Robert Harbin on the telly, being given one of his books and seeking out old Rupert annuals for easier examples. I went back to the book in my 20s then had a somewhat-related short obsession with knot-tying. Finding how to make a rabbit out of a handkerchief when I was about 10 made me as cool as my grandfather :D

I had a brief fling with it many years ago after being given Robert Hardins book as well. I gave up when none of my creations ever came out like the pictures.

does making paper planes count?

We had an Origami business but it folded.

I'm a black belt :)

I used to do a bit as a kid, probably about 40 years ago. Now I just make the occasional Samarai hat. I usually like to make these out of toffee papers just to see how small I can make one.

It's such a lost art. No bugger does It anymore.

Well there's one bugger here :D.
No photos to share with you . . . and I suppose that being female I'm not likely to get tagged with the "gay label" either ;)

Have you come across this site for designs yet?
I also find that Hobbycraft shop has a good range of papers. As you said not cheap though.

I can make a water bomb......

I used to make water bombs when I was a kid and jumping frogs!!

It's all I can remember :LOL:

(y) That's an every so slightly different design of frog that I'm familiar with. Good work!

Sarah, I usually do get my paper from Hobbycraft, and I quite frequently visit that site too. Nice to find some appreciators of the art on here. Car forums are a different matter. Even if they are Japanese cars. :D

Got into it when I was an Akela (CSL) as I had to learn it to teach them!
I used to be able to make 23 different models of paper plane!

Got into it when I was an Akela (CSL) as I had to learn it to teach them!
I used to be able to make 23 different models of paper plane!

I've got a book with about that number of designs in. Great fun. I tend to mess around cutting out tailfins and stuff to make them fly truer. :cool:

Dave, I'll see if I can remember how to make it. It's one that I've not made for at least ten years, and I no longer have the book I got it from. I remember what it looks like, but the precise folding pattern escapes me right now. :thinking:

Eee, memories of Robert Harbin on the telly, being given one of his books and seeking out old Rupert annuals for easier examples. I went back to the book in my 20s then had a somewhat-related short obsession with knot-tying. Finding how to make a rabbit out of a handkerchief when I was about 10 made me as cool as my grandfather :D

:eek: I've got that book too! I think there are two versions? One cover that is white and the other cover is orange (which I have). That book seem to be famous in a quiet kind of way as I kept coming across them at boot fairs.

Last edited:
My 10 year old son does some amazing origami! He keeps asking what the theme of the week is so that he can make something for me to photograph. Pity my lens is broken and I am camera-less..... However, I promise that I will post some of his work when I can.

And I can't say about the gay thing, like I said, he is only 10...

I've been known to make the odd flower and I have origami post it notes but other than that, I don't have the time :(

My 10 year old son does some amazing origami! He keeps asking what the theme of the week is so that he can make something for me to photograph. Pity my lens is broken and I am camera-less..... However, I promise that I will post some of his work when I can.

And I can't say about the gay thing, like I said, he is only 10...

Have you got a camera on your phone (y)

Thanks Scott, looks like it uses the same base but as you say slightly different folds, also the one in your link doesnt blow up like the one I made, it has a turned down head, looks good though (y)

I completely forgot I posted this thread. Maybe it's an annual thing that I do. :thinking:

Dave, I think the design I posted is inflatable, if you blow into the rear-end, but who wants to put a frog through that? :D

A few recent attempts.

Semi-failed heffalump.
C6C7DD0896DE475FB7272F4D8DA6A47A-0000331151-0002797612-00800L-DCDEB64DB10C452BBE0CD06D68380DB4.jpg

Bild Woar:
E764F62465414C809B03167CAB646CE4-0000331151-0002797614-00800L-E9C2FD9D78D84B0D83E681DBEBA9782B.jpg

Ratty:
209FF4753842454BA7C1C0901635CC40-0000331151-0002797613-00800L-AC512542FEDD4364AE4F43561D6B7C8A.jpg

Lynton said:
does making paper planes count?

hahaha :}
It is a lost art! I'd love to be able to do Origami.. I might teach myself!

Last edited:
Made my own newspaper pots for sowing my squash seeds in. Can't get on with the ones that you just roll round a can - they never seal on the bottom for me. The folded ones were great though. I followed the instructions here.

Always been sort of interested in origami - even won a book on it when I was at school (an awful long time ago!).

Regards,

White.

ive done little bits and bobs in the past (boxes, flowers and swans) but i plan to make 1000 paper cranes for when we get married, its traditionally a gift from the brides father to wish a thousand years of happiness and prosperity on the couple, but just having the 1000 cranes at the reception will be enough of a nod to the tradition for us. Got to learn how to do it first and perfect it so they look tidy before i start making them with nicer paper.

I have a book on it somewhere and wanted to learn how to do it when I was younger. I can barely fold a napkin so unfortunately it isn't something I have progressed with. Paper planes are a struggle for me and usually nose dive straight into the ground!

ive done little bits and bobs in the past (boxes, flowers and swans) but i plan to make 1000 paper cranes for when we get married, its traditionally a gift from the brides father to wish a thousand years of happiness and prosperity on the couple, but just having the 1000 cranes at the reception will be enough of a nod to the tradition for us. Got to learn how to do it first and perfect it so they look tidy before i start making them with nicer paper.

(y) That will be lovely at the wedding. The folding of the cranes won't be though. Once you've learned to make one it stars to get a bit boring. Then add another 999. :( It's be worth it in the end though, no question. :)

My mate is a keen origami enthusiast who folded and wore a cowboy outfit – an origami stetson, origami shirt and waistcoat, origami pistols, plus origami trousers and boots?
Unfortunately he was arrested for rustling!! ;)

My mate is a keen origami enthusiast who folded and wore a cowboy outfit – an origami stetson, origami shirt and waistcoat, origami pistols, plus origami trousers and boots?
Unfortunately he was arrested for rustling!! ;)

I know of someone who ran a shop selling origami artwork, but then the recession caused the business to fold up.

EDIT: Re-read the first page and Tiler had beaten me to it with that pun. :D

Last edited:
Back