Does anyone have a camera that's always with you?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
They say "the best camera is the one you've got with you" or something like that. I have a fairly bulky Nikon D610 and a few lenses, which I'm obviously not going to take everywhere with me. I often end up taking really nice photos with my phone - by nice, I mean, compositionally etc. (and by 'nice' I mean photos that I'm happy with!) but somewhat lacking in image quality. I've been thinking about getting a compact camera, like a used Fujifilm x100 .

This isn't about recommendations of a specific camera, rather I'm wondering how many people have second, smaller cameras that they don't leave the house without?

As a bonus, what is your favourite image you've taken with your 'take-everywhere' camera, that you wouldn't have taken if you didn't have the camera with you.

I usually take my Panasonic TZ100 (I think superseded by the 200 now).
Smaller sensor than the Fuji but it’s a smaller camera.

Like many people, my always with me camera is on my phone :)

I've a few pics that I got cos I had my phone - usually an unexpected landscape, a sunset or one of the dog.

If I'm going anywhere where I think I'll take some pics, I take my RX100M3.

Last edited:
iPhone 8 Plus + Ricoh GR.

The Ricoh kills the iPhone and I take most of my photos with it (out of everything I shoot). I even use it on paid shoots. It lives in a case in my coat.

I bought the Ricoh in the first place because I've taken photos that I liked on my phone that looked nice on the small screen but didn't hold up on a monitor or even a small print.

Well, the phone always (iPhone 11Pro Max) but very often I have my Olympus OM-D E-M10 (mark 1) with Panasonic Lumix 14mm pancake lens attached. Perfect for street or record shot and pocket sized dslr. Seriously thinking of upgrading to the latest model but at present apart from a slow evf, I've no complaints with it. I can't say I've taken any memorable shots with it but I have been pretty pleased with a number, especially when discretion was required - indoors, I just sat it on a table with the lens cap off, moved the live view screen up so I could see it properly, and just pressed the shutter release occasionally.

Last edited:
I've always got my "iPhone" with me and at least a "Sony RX100M6"

George.

When I’m at work I’m rarely far from my truck so my camera gear is pretty much always close to hand (currently A7RIII). If for some reason I don’t want to lug my main camera about then my battered and bruised RX100M3 is in my pocket, these days I rarely seem to use the camera on my phone except for keeping a record of paperwork or part numbers etc :)

my new phone...samsung A20e...not as good as my lumix 5 but i can do the pp on the phone and happy with that
cheers
geof

I use my iPhone 11... I bought a Sony RX100M5 a couple of years ago with that idea in mine...but I really don't like the camera so don't take it out... takes nice photos though.

Hi, I (almost) always have a SONY NEX-5N with me. I adapt Leica M mount lenses which gives me a compact and powerful "pocket camera" ...

(Of course, I always have an iphone with me, but I do not use as a camera ... )

I don't ... I have the iPhone but don't really think of that as a camera.
I would like to have one actually but don't really need three ... small, cheap and a good zoom would be useful.

My phone, though I hate using it for photos - it's not the best phone camera for one, but no matter how often I try I cannot get used to the ergonomics of using a slippery phone as a camera. I do have a cover but that just makes it even more irritating. If I could I'd have something like a Fuji X100v on me everywhere, used to have the older X100s and the original Sony Rx100, the sony being smaller is the ideal type for an always with you camera but the Fuji was much nicer to use.

I always carried a Canon A720 is with me, 8mp and takes 2 X AA's
Still got it and might well drop it back in my rucksack, small and weighs next to nothing
Even had a viewfinder or at least a hole with glass either end, excellent little camera

Last edited:
My phone, though I hate using it for photos - it's not the best phone camera for one, but no matter how often I try I cannot get used to the ergonomics of using a slippery phone as a camera. I do have a cover but that just makes it even more irritating. If I could I'd have something like a Fuji X100v on me everywhere, used to have the older X100s and the original Sony Rx100, the sony being smaller is the ideal type for an always with you camera but the Fuji was much nicer to use.
Why did you get rid of the X100s?

Why did you get rid of the X100s?

That was a few years back now, and found I just wasn't using it as much as I expected [for what I paid, think it was over a grand at the time]. I was shooting Nikon FF back then mainly, the X100s was just something extra to have in the bag. If I had one now I think I'd make much better use of it

Last edited:
I almost always have a camera bag with me. Most often the Fuji X-T4 and a few lenses.

Even on non-photography trips the X100F is always in the car.

I have an IPhone 11 max pro with me at all times, plus an X-Pro 2 and 18-55 in the car, I have to admit, i use the phone much more often when out and bout, like in restaurants and the like. I do think that others would think what are you doing with a proper camera, though it is no different to taking pics with a phone,,,

I always have a Fuji X100s in the car and carry a Huawei P30 pro phone which I picked specifically for the excellent camera element :)

Old "knockabout" D7200 and 16-80mm always within arms length when not using the main kit.

GC

Sony RX1004 in messenger bag or if just going for the papers a 10 year old Ixus in the backpack.

A Panasonic TZ70, keeping thinking I should change but still can not see anything relative cheap to upgrade to like the long reach but does need good weather , take mostly nature.

I take my EOS M5 pretty much everywhere I go but then I don't mind carrying a small messenger bag (or small backpack when I'm on my mountain bike) everywhere I go.

That's my walkabout camera too. Often with the 22mm lens. Capable of great images.

iPhone 11. I took more pictures on last weeks holiday on the iPhone than my X-T2. I’ve also got a photo taken with this in my next exhibition, printed at 15x10. Granted, it was taken in good light but when you put it next to the ones taken on my Fuji and Nikon’s, you’d have to look extremely closely to pick it out.

I don't have an always with me camera but I could always use my quite poor and quite old phone if I felt the need.

I do have a Panasonic TZ100 which is a 1" sensor compact with a 25-250mm zoom so that would do but it's not small enough to fit in a pocket unnoticed. When I'm taking a bag I do often put a camera in it but not always and of course sometimes I don't take a bag so no camera.

Mostly though although photography is a hobby and a love being truthful there are times when I have better things to do and times when fiddling with a camera and taking pictures would impinge on more important things.

I use my Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus- it has a lovely camera on it

Les :)

I use my Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus- it has a lovely camera on it

Les :)

I haven't bought a phone for a long time. In fact I've only ever bought two in the days before smartphones. I use a hand me down smartphone someone gave me. I have been tempted and smartphone pictures Mrs WW shows me on her tablet do sometimes look stunning but when I look at them on my pc their issues are usually easily seen so I never bother. Plus I just hate taking pictures with phones, I find it a joyless and even hateful experience. If I could stop seeing the problems and stop caring about holding a slippery oblong box in front of my face whilst jabbing at it with a finger I'd get one, if I could find one as small as my old smartphone as a lot of them these days seem to be small tablet sized rather than a size I'd want a phone I'm putting in my pocket to be.

As always, good luck to people who take pictures with phones but although I've tried it's just not something I've been able to come to like doing.

I think I have an in built camera, as I have a photographic memory for faces. :)

I haven't bought a phone for a long time. In fact I've only ever bought two in the days before smartphones. I use a hand me down smartphone someone gave me. I have been tempted and smartphone pictures Mrs WW shows me on her tablet do sometimes look stunning but when I look at them on my pc their issues are usually easily seen so I never bother. Plus I just hate taking pictures with phones, I find it a joyless and even hateful experience. If I could stop seeing the problems and stop caring about holding a slippery oblong box in front of my face whilst jabbing at it with a finger I'd get one, if I could find one as small as my old smartphone as a lot of them these days seem to be small tablet sized rather than a size I'd want a phone I'm putting in my pocket to be.

As always, good luck to people who take pictures with phones but although I've tried it's just not something I've been able to come to like doing.

My usual camera is a Sony a7Riii so my Smartphone is a very good pocket sized image taker :)

My usual camera is a Sony a7Riii so my Smartphone is a very good pocket sized image taker :)

I think part of my dislike of taking pictures with phones is nothing to do with the image quality or even the handling of the device and the physical act of taking of pictures with them but because I spent years fixing computer gear and wider tech and these days I mostly avoid tech, other than cameras.

Last edited:
I think part of my dislike of taking pictures with phones is nothing to do with the image quality or even the handling of the device and the physical act of taking of pictures with them but because I spent years fixing computer gear and wide tech and these days I mostly avoid tech, other than cameras.

To be perfectly clear Alan, I will only use the phone if there was something I could not come back to photograph later mate :)

It has an image size of around 4000 pixels - so quality is pretty good

Back