Does anyone have any idea which film was used for these skin tones?

moomike

TPer Emeritus
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all :)

I am looking into trying some colour film as I pretty much only shoot mono at the moment, and would really like to find out which colour film Vincent Peters uses for his portraits - the ones of Emma Watson, Gemma Arteton and Emilia Clarke in particular, the skin tones are beautiful! I'm not sure if I can link to the images here but will try.

If anyone may have any idea at all which film was used, I'd really really appreciate the guidance.

Cheers,

Mike.

Edit: I can't figure out which links are ok to post so I'll just include a link to his website - he's an incredible photographer!

http://www.vincentpetersphotography.com/

Last edited:
I can't find anything that says what film he uses, it looks like it might be Portra though, but I can tell you that he uses a Mamiya RZ which was the first medium format camera he owned.

from the look of them, i'd put my money on Kodak Portra 400 on MF (unless he'd got a stash of 160NC in the fridge...)

I presume we are talking about the colour shots, since many of them are mono. The colour shots look to me like they have been heavily post-processed so I don't think speculating on the film used will get you very far. I can see from searches on any image-sharing platforms that, for those portrait/fashion photographers working with film now, the most common film choice is Portra 400, so I'd start there. Your images won't look like those of Mr Peters when they're straight off the scanner but a Portra 400 scanned TIFF will give you plenty flexibility to change the look.

Hi all :)

I am looking into trying some colour film as I pretty much only shoot mono at the moment, and would really like to find out which colour film Vincent Peters uses for his portraits - the ones of Emma Watson, Gemma Arteton and Emilia Clarke in particular, the skin tones are beautiful! I'm not sure if I can link to the images here but will try.

If anyone may have any idea at all which film was used, I'd really really appreciate the guidance.

Cheers,

Mike.

Edit: I can't figure out which links are ok to post so I'll just include a link to his website - he's an incredible photographer!

http://www.vincentpetersphotography.com/
Have you considered just emailing him/his agents and asking?

Thanks for the replies everyone (I didn’t get any notifications of replies again )

I have a few rolls of Portra 800 so may try pulling it a stop to see how it affects the look of the film - I push film all of the time in b&w but have never done anything like that with colour film so am curious.

Thanks again for the replies guys, appreciate it

The other option would be Fuji Pro, or even perhaps Provia.
Either way, he uses a lot of professional lighting and probable post processing. His models will also be professionally styled, including make up.

You're not going to get the same look just by shooting the same film stock...

Arri HMIs for the lighting, I saw a BTS video of one of his Emma Watson shoots a few years back and he was using an RZ67 with the 110.

The film stock doesn't really matter much since those tones aren't Portra printed straight anyway.

The other option would be Fuji Pro, or even perhaps Provia....
You're not going to get the same look just by shooting the same film stock...

Thanks for the film suggestions Stephen. I know I won’t get the same look by shooting the same stock - am just after a base from which to start. I mainly shoot b & w.

Arri HMIs for the lighting, I saw a BTS video of one of his Emma Watson shoots a few years back and he was using an RZ67 with the 110.

The film stock doesn't really matter much since those tones aren't Portra printed straight anyway.

Cheers mate, I’ve found info on his lighting - very limited info on film choice though.

Appreciate the advice (y)

Last edited:
Back