Does anyone here still darkroom print with fibre base paper?

Peter B

Double Numpty
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Just curious about this as I'm not even sure what is available nowadays and whether the washing times are too long?

Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter, yes. There are still plenty of papers available and I do think it is worth using for the 'best' prints. The image quality is identical, but it does have a nicer feel than RC. Pointless if it's going to be mounted behind glass though!

If you are concerned about wash times, try the Ilford method: https://www.ilfordphoto.com/ilford-optimum-permanance-wash-sequence-fb-papers/

I use the above together with a Nova print washer which makes things a little easier.

I forgot to add: the big deal about the Ilford washing method is actually in the fixing, not really the washing itself. If you have a look at the info on the page, you'll see that the fixer used is very high strength but used for a short time. This stops it soaking into the paper and means it's quicker and easier to wash out.

If you are concerned about the permanence of washed FB paper, the best thing to do is buy a hypo testing kit - I think you can still find them on eBay. They are basically a 1% solution of Silver Nitrate, so you can easily make your own. You drop a little onto the washed paper and the colour change shows whether you have washed enough. It's important to get the fix out of the prints, but you don't want to to be wasting a load of time and water excessively washing them.

I use Kodak Hypo clearing agent as a 4th step during printing, which means a 4th tray and even more worktop space, and a tray print washer.
Its supposed to reduce wash times but I've never tried to prove how much of an aid it is.
Tbh, I wash em for yonks with or without HCA....lol
I have 15 year old prints that still look good on FB, so no problems yet....:)

Back