Does anyone use reflectors for landscapes?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Obviously not for illuminating mountain ranges, but just lifting something in the foreground. Often I think a bit of extra soft diffuse light wouldn't go amiss. I was thinking of getting a while umbrella - you know, for keeping the rain off - which could double up as a reflector. Or even one of those foil emergency bivvy bags...

I would expect practical difficulties with mother nature. Slightest bit of wind and an umbrella will become airborne. Similarly, a foil bivvy bag would need a frame of some sort.
If foreground illumination is the aim then off camera flash is a practical solution. Fit a diffuser or a layer or two of white handkerchief.

No, not a reflector but I have thought about it. I have used speedlites in the past to illuminate a bit of foreground...
YNYS Y PANDY GH1P1030216 (C) R A JONES QUARRYSCAPES (2011)(SM).jpg

I would expect practical difficulties with mother nature. Slightest bit of wind and an umbrella will become airborne. Similarly, a foil bivvy bag would need a frame of some sort.
If foreground illumination is the aim then off camera flash is a practical solution. Fit a diffuser or a layer or two of white handkerchief.

I toyed with that idea or even subtle light painting with a long exposure...

But this is why we blend exposures, use GND's etc.

Never :) If the foreground is a little dark, then I would sort that out in Photoshop - or even better exposure in camera is a better option

Les :)

I tend to use my filter case or hat/hand to stop flare.... its always a tricky contortion to lean over and stop it appearing in frame.... I have inthe past considered getting one of those small pushchair sunshades that come with a clamp and flexible arm...

I keep a sheet of A4 card (cut in half then taped back together) that's white on one side and black on the other. Handy as a basic reflector or a french flag to shade the front of the UWA.

Back