Does the Canon EOS Speedlite 540EZ Professional work with a Canon 400D?

Excellent guide on all things Canon flash here.

It will work but not have all the fully automatic modes available for that on digital you need one of the EX flashes such as the 580. If your looking at flashes I'd urge you to consider sigmas models as they are well specced and very competitively priced.

It will work but not have all the fully automatic modes available for that on digital you need one of the EX flashes such as the 580. If your looking at flashes I'd urge you to consider sigmas models as they are well specced and very competitively priced.

I cant seem to find a sigma at around the 420/430 mark thats comparable.

if you look out for a used 550EX that will do you proud - they usually go for about £110-£130 last I checked

is the 550EX better than the 430EXII?

It has a few more features but they are very similar. The biggest difference of course is that the 550 can be used as a 'master' to fire other flashguns.

It is also quite a fair bit heavier and bulkier than the 430. Batteries do not last as long either in the 550. The 430 has an advantage if used in 'manual' mode as there are now 1/3 stop adjustments.

Oh, and the 430 will recycle faster than the 550.

I have the 550Ex and I love it.
Guide number 55 cf the 430ExII of 43 and the 580Ex of 58 so it's more powerful than the 430 but less than the 580.
Has a swivel head and catchlight too. Older canon model but good value at £140 which is what I paid.

I bought one of the Jessops £35 bargain flashes, works fine on my 5D,

I suppose it depends on the use it'll get, I don't use a flash very often so a bit of bounce and the ability to alter the angle is all I need so it does for me.

I suspect it'd also be OK for a lot of users but they're suckered in by shiny kit syndrome and buy a top of the range flash with features they'll never use

I suppose it depends on the use it'll get, I don't use a flash very often so a bit of bounce and the ability to alter the angle is all I need so it does for me.

I suspect it'd also be OK for a lot of users but they're suckered in by shiny kit syndrome and buy a top of the range flash with features they'll never use

(y) top reply

true, but I just dont know how you do decent off camera flash without having manual settings.

Having control over the flash would give you consistancy. Using radio triggers you dont get ETTL and thus the flash would fire at full power ll of the time. Which isnt good.

Infact ive burnt the front plastic on my crappy flash because it is using full power or over full power. :(

Ideally I need something with 1/1 down to 1/64 but maybe even 1/32 or 1/16 would be enough?

Back