Does this one work?

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst attempting to crop images correctly I came up with this one as an example. Now the way I see it is I need to keep a bit of bg and not have the subject so much in your face :shrug: I suppose I could have gone portrait but again to get it in proportion it would as far as I could see bring the image right in close again.

crop1a.jpg

Nice shot. He/she is really giving you the beady eye...

With the crop, I would keep it landscape but move the little guy/gal across to the invisible right hand line of the rule of thirds. IMO the LTT is in a bit of an odd position within the image. :)

On the whole though its a great capture. :)

Nice shot. He/she is really giving you the beady eye...

With the crop, I would keep it landscape but move the little guy/gal across to the invisible right hand line of the rule of thirds. IMO the LTT is in a bit of an odd position within the image. :)

On the whole though its a great capture. :)

Thanks Toby, but then surely that would put too much empty space to the left of the frame ;)

I probably would have gone for something like this,would have played around a bit more but it would still have been portrait

crop1a1.jpg

Thank you Kaz, now for my stupidity question of the week. How do I crop and maintain the aspect ratio if that`s what it is, of the bird :shrug:
If I did a portrait crop it just enlarges the whole image which is not the effect I want ;)

Absolutely love the original, belting. I would change nothing...

Sorry but I have to say that,that comp would be totally wrong it just doesn t work,Rich does know that

Not disagreeing with you, all subjective. I love all that space and the creamy backdrop does it for me. I'm a bokeh whore :D

Gary.

not sure what you mean Rich:shrug:
Nor do I Kaz :D I just use DPP for cropping and just realised that whilst I use the grid that I need to switch from the manual tab in the aspect ratio box :shake::shake: I am all a dither today waiting news of a job interview.

Absolutely love the original, belting. I would change nothing...

Cheers Gary

In th DPP cropping tool there are some preselect ratios 3:2 for normal frame or 2:3 for portrait, there are other options as well 4:5 for example.

Sorry but I have to say that,that comp would be totally wrong it just doesn t work,Rich does know that

With Kaz on this ... in the original the bird is looking out of frame, and to be honest looks totally wrong compositionally, it looks uncomfortable.

In Kaz's edit the bird is now looking into the space, or looking into frame and works compositionally.

Gary had the bird been looking the other way in the original it would have worked compositionally, and would have made it a totally different shot.

I never apply rules however I just know when it looks right or wrong, even when I am taking the shot, the problem with birds is they do not take direction well, I know I have tried ... many times :D

I kinda see it as looking bang at me, and not out of frame, perhaps that's why I find it pleasing...

Anyway, good shot :)

G.

I like your original, Rich, it's unusual and certainly gives the feeling of the bird giving one the eye! Very sharp capture as well.

I kinda see it as looking bang at me, and not out of frame, perhaps that's why I find it pleasing...

Anyway, good shot :)

G.

See where you are coming from, but it will be looking the way it's beak is pointing (y)

At the end of the day, there is no right or wrong, it is what each of us like and find pleasing to look at.

Good to see peoples varying opinions :)
I do like the portrait version though.

I like both crops, I'm wondering what it would look like cropped to a square with the bird fairly central! :D

Karen's crop is good for the portrait, but if you wanted to maintain landscape format, and If you wanted a bit more in your face could try something like this, its a bit too tight really, but need the full image to play around more.

crop1a.jpg

To keep the aspect ratio in CS4, go to the marquee tool, on the toolbar at the top chose fixed ratio, enter 3 in the width and 2 in the height for landscape, and 2 in the width and 3 in the height for portrait, when you start to highlight the box will draw with fixed aspect and then you can drag it around to get the composition correct. Im sure you can do the same in other programs just a slightly different way of doing it.

Last edited:
Karen's crop is good for the portrait, but if you wanted to maintain landscape format, and If you wanted a bit more in your face could try something like this, its a bit too tight really, but need the full image to play around more.

crop1a.jpg

To keep the aspect ratio in CS4, go to the marquee tool, on the toolbar at the top chose fixed ratio, enter 3 in the width and 2 in the height for landscape, and 2 in the width and 3 in the height for portrait, when you start to highlight the box will draw with fixed aspect and then you can drag it around to get the composition correct. Im sure you can do the same in other programs just a slightly different way of doing it.

Ian has saved me a job on the cropping. Also i have put two links for you .

1st rule of thirds http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=24859
2nd how to set up rule of thirds grid http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=90484

Hope this is what you are after and it helps you (y)

The one thing i forgot to say, if you hadnt got it sharp and with a decent background, no end of editing would have pulled it back, so the original shot works, but just needs the crop sorting, either way works well, but if you check next time, make sure the bird is offset, and is looking into the larger amount of space, just in case you are closer and dont have so much space to crop :)

Very interesting thread Rich - interesting to see the variations in peeps taste.

If it were mine I would have gone to this:

crop1a.jpg

Thanks Pikeman, Ian and Cedric and Peter for the info. I am sure Uncle Tom cobbly should get a mention as well :LOL:
More valuable information for myself and no doubt others (y)

Back