Dog DNA test.

Edit My Images
Yes
Completely off topic, but Pets at Home are currently doing an offer on DNA tests for dogs (yes you read that correctly) for £40. I have been looking online for a couple of months and could not find them for less than £60. Offer started end of November, not sure how long it will last.

I have a 6 month old rescue pup and just ordered one of these to find out what breed(s) she is to know what to feed her, exercise and what illnesses she may be prone to in later life.

A. Illnesses - Will it make you love her less. Just pay for dog insurance
B. What to feed her - whatever she eats, is recommended by the vet
C. Exercise - as much as they need, based on their weight or as recommended by the vet

Really, a DNA test? FFS talk to the vet instead of a gimmick.

I can see it might be interesting to know a little more about her background as far as possible breeds are concerned, though I'd guess you and the rescue centre have a pretty good idea anyway For food and exercise the rescue organisation would be a good place to start. One thing that comes to mind is there is the possibility that pet insurance companies might ask if a DNA test has been done and want to see it before offering insurance.

Dave

I agree with what Byker28i says. Neither A., B. or C. would concern me. For me it would be pure curiosity.
We have a Lurcher from a rescue center. The center told us her father was a Bull Lurcher.
When we meet people who know about these things they can spot it a mile off. We'd love to know whats in the rest of the mix. (Sure there's Collie in there somewhere.)

She's a rescue dog.
If you wanted a specific breed, surely you'd have chosen one.
Just love her and train her well.
I hope she's with you a long time. :)

I should add it's brilliant you've chosen a dog this way, but you didn't pick it pending a dna test. Just enjoy it. Always nice coming home to a welcoming dog.

The KC do one for £25
But as far as I have read it is normally only used to either prove parentage or for positive ID if the dog is stolen
Just think if it was that easy Police/owners would be using them all the time to prove parentage of seized "type" pits.
@boyfalldown might know a bit more, been out of the loop for a while now

As others have said, enjoy your dog and don't worry about it

I know very little beyond that mentioned by the OP.

Enjoy your pup don't worry about what may or may not happen at some future date

If your really interested in what to feed her you can find far better sources of info then the vets. ( most have financial ties to a brand). Generally I'd go either a premium kibble (I know on the face it's more expensive, but you need less so it balances out, ) or if you can handle the inconvenience a raw diet. Above all feed to the dog not a feeding chart

Last edited:
Ive had working dogs and rescue dogs for years ,most mongrels do tend to have less health issues than pedigrees ,i currently have a rescue that looks to be a cross between a cairn and a jack russell,a dna on the dog would mean nothing to me ,or the dog either way ,i have my pets insured but i am not one to run to vets with minor issues ,vets love people who have pets insured ,they also sell and promote certain foods that are just a waste of time and not good for the dog,dentastix are a good example ,heres the ingredients

Rice flour (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler, causes bowel distress and can lead to diabetes in dogs.

Wheat starch (Minus 1 point): Poor carbohydrate source causes allergies.

Glycerin (Minus 1 point): Sweetens food, used as humectant (keeps food moist), interferes with nutrient assimilation.

Calcium carbonate (Plus 1 point): Standard source of calcium, promotes strong bones, teeth, cardiovascular health and skeletal strength, used as a buffer to acidic foods.

Gelatin (Minus 1 point): Filler / binder in can food.

Gum arabic (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler/binder used in can foods.

Cellulose Powder (Minus 1 point): Suspected to include recycled cardboard.

Natural poultry flavor (Minus 1 point): Poor quality of flavor additive.

Sodium tripolyphosphate (Minus 1 point): Used as rancid meat preservative.

Salt (Minus 1 point): Used to cover up rancid meat and fat, can cause kidney and heart disease, hypertension -- used to encourage cats to drink, source of sodium chloride.....A plain old carrot is so much better,and cheaper

Last edited:
Ive had working dogs and rescue dogs for years ,most mongrels do tend to have less health issues than pedigrees ,i currently have a rescue that looks to be a cross between a cairn and a jack russell,a dna on the dog would mean nothing to me ,or the dog either way ,i have my pets insured but i am not one to run to vets with minor issues ,vets love people who have pets insured ,they also sell and promote certain foods that are just a waste of time and not good for the dog,dentastix are a good example

Rice flour (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler, causes bowel distress and can lead to diabetes in dogs.

Wheat starch (Minus 1 point): Poor carbohydrate source causes allergies.

Glycerin (Minus 1 point): Sweetens food, used as humectant (keeps food moist), interferes with nutrient assimilation.

Calcium carbonate (Plus 1 point): Standard source of calcium, promotes strong bones, teeth, cardiovascular health and skeletal strength, used as a buffer to acidic foods.

Gelatin (Minus 1 point): Filler / binder in can food.

Gum arabic (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler/binder used in can foods.

Cellulose Powder (Minus 1 point): Suspected to include recycled cardboard.

Natural poultry flavor (Minus 1 point): Poor quality of flavor additive.

Sodium tripolyphosphate (Minus 1 point): Used as rancid meat preservative.

Salt (Minus 1 point): Used to cover up rancid meat and fat, can cause kidney and heart disease, hypertension -- used to encourage cats to drink, source of sodium chloride.....A plain old carrot is so much better,and cheaper
This is my carrot munching mongrel,but i tell you what he can spot a rat a mile off.....
Milo (1 of 1) by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Georgeous @den, that face looks like a border in the mix too :love:

Completely off topic, but Pets at Home are currently doing an offer on DNA tests for dogs (yes you read that correctly) for £40. I have been looking online for a couple of months and could not find them for less than £60. Offer started end of November, not sure how long it will last.

I have a 6 month old rescue pup and just ordered one of these to find out what breed(s) she is to know what to feed her, exercise and what illnesses she may be prone to in later life.

DNA tests - I think that is very much over researching the subject. What will you do after that - look for signs of the various afflictions that the dog may develop.

Keep it simple. Need advice on feeding - ask your vet. (ask yourself why there are so many different foods on the shelves. Lots of profit to be made by selling them). Enjoy your dog and form a friendly bond.

Last edited:
I'm not at all sure what having your dog's DNA profile will tell you. I watched the YouTube video linked from the Petsathome website and didn't find it very helpful - very American too. The Wisdompanel.com website says they are Mars Veterinary and based in USA but coy about details. The breed list is obviously a USA breeds list which may lead you to question what they mean by Kennel Club breeds, probably not the KC so are their breed definitions reliable.
Anyway as others have said DNA testing is the wrong way to go about deciding how to raise a dog IMNVHO.

Anyway as others have said DNA testing is the wrong way to go about deciding how to raise a dog IMNVHO.
Absolutely, and to add to that, dogs are like people everyone is different.

I support your point of view. I breed dogs for a years and nowadays there a bunch of medicine that doesn't work with some breed, and even can kill the dog of the special breed. It's very important to know what the breed has your dog. For example, if the dog has a couple of Collie blood, it can't take ivermectin. Shepard dog has another rescriction in medicine.
For those who doesn't trust me.

Back