Dog portraits tips and advice needed!

LewisHall

Suspended / Banned
Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been asked by a colleague at work if I can do a photo shoot of his dog and I agreed...

We're taking it out for a walk in the morning on a field to get more natural looking shots.

He wants one done for a canvas and just a few others he can have printed for normal 7x5 frames etc.

Never done this type of photography before as it doesn't really interest me to much taking photos of pets.

Has anybody got any useful tips or advice for me?

Much appreciated!

Get low, if they take treats take tasty treats (my dog is not interested in treats when we are out) or there fav toy and take loads of shots if the lights not that great, use your friend as a VAL and have fun playing with the dog.

If you're going to do some outdoor shots, then take a foam sleeping mat (£5 or so from your local camping shop) ... then you can ay down and be at the dog's eye level. If you don't want to actually lay down ... at least squat. If the dog is active, then try getting the owner to throw some balls past you so you can get shots of the dog coming towards you (tennis balls don't hurt too much if their aim is off).

Apart from that ... not sure if I'm allowed to mention other sites ... the D P Review site recently did a video and some hints on pet (dog) photography so worth a look if you can get over the Sony promotion.

DSC_3696.jpg by Eloise, on Flickr

Last edited:
Get low, if they take treats take tasty treats (my dog is not interested in treats when we are out) or there fav toy and take loads of shots if the lights not that great, use your friend as a VAL and have fun playing with the dog.

Luckily it's a hunting dog so it's well trained! So makes things a lot easier in that sense! Thanks for your help!

If you're going to do some outdoor shots, then take a foam sleeping mat (£5 or so from your local camping shop) ... then you can ay down and be at the dog's eye level. If you don't want to actually lay down ... at least squat. If the dog is active, then try getting the owner to throw some balls past you so you can get shots of the dog coming towards you (tennis balls don't hurt too much if their aim is off).

Apart from that ... not sure if I'm allowed to mention other sites ... the D P Review site recently did a video and some hints on pet (dog) photography so worth a look if you can get over the Sony promotion.

DSC_3696.jpg by Eloise, on Flickr

Thanks I'll make sure I put on some clothes I don't mind getting dirty! Yeah I think most of them I'm going to be on the floor!

Don't shoot a black/dark dog in bright sunlight!

whyever not?

Okay thanks, I think it's a grey/white colour!

do n't follow that advice as with everything, more interesting light means more interesting photos ....just expose properly

if its a well trained gun dog use a whistle over treats - get your mate to handle it and bring him back towards you, great photos will come as it comes through broken, out of long grass or over obstacles. Water can be a bit random. You get some fantastic water shots but as many get spoilt by unfortunate splashes.

Remember a working sundog will be fast. As a rule use an aperture that will allow you a reasonable depth of field and a minimum shutter speed of 1/250 (works for me, but I still lose the odd photo to motion blur)

Last edited:
Re the above. It's possible, but more challenging. There are many articles/blogs on why you shouldn't shoot a black dog in strong sunlight.

Have a read of some articles and decide for yourself.

In your case OP, you have said it's different colours so it shouldn't affect you :)

Re the above. It's possible, but more challenging. There are many articles/blogs on why you shouldn't shoot a black dog in strong sunlight.

Have a read of some articles and decide for yourself.

In your case OP, you have said it's different colours so it shouldn't affect you :)

Or ignore the articles and carry on making a good living shooting in dogs in all conditions :).

Go and shoot, stop viewing things as an issue

Get down low, get dirty is my advice!!
Jeez Dave those are awesome. Only done Dog portraits (indoors) would be great to be able to capture action images. No sure my skill level is up to that though. I could say that the 6d's auto focus is not the best but thatt would be a cop out !!!!

Gaz

Jeez Dave those are awesome. Only done Dog portraits (indoors) would be great to be able to capture action images. No sure my skill level is up to that though. I could say that the 6d's auto focus is not the best but thatt would be a cop out !!!

Gaz

Cheers Cargo! I had a play with the 6d and i think you are right. For action shots i found it really tricky and not really up to the job.

I love the one in the leaves! You've captured the moment incredibly! I guess this was using a very high shutter speed and Motor drive?

Thanks sticky tape. This was at 1/1600th if i recall and Ai servo at all times.

Need a fast shutter to capture action like this.....

ZIGGY_5TH NOVEMBER 2016_HI RES JPEGS. (9 of 49) by nessiemac1, on Flickr

I had a play with the 6d and i think you are right. For action shots i found it really tricky and not really up to the job.
:) I do think you are right.Only really know this as I first bought the 7d mark one, had it a week before it developed a fault. I sent it back and got a refund.In that week I took photos at a running charity event the focusing/tracking and frame rate were incredible It made me look like I knew what I was doing. Developing the faullt put me off the camera though and whilst looking for a replacement I happened to pick up the 6d and fell in love with it.

Gaz

Cheers Cargo! I had a play with the 6d and i think you are right. For action shots i found it really tricky and not really up to the job.

Thanks sticky tape. This was at 1/1600th if i recall and Ai servo at all times.

Need a fast shutter to capture action like this.....

ZIGGY_5TH NOVEMBER 2016_HI RES JPEGS. (9 of 49) by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Did you photoshop the trampoline out?
All seriousness that's a superb shot!!

Definitely, use zoom lens, remember their attention span is less than a toddler. Ask owner to bring some snacks and get closer for those shots. Good luck.

It would be best to start out with safer shots. Get the dog sat and get good eye contact. Once you have some definite keepers you can then try the action stuff.

As above, get low, but also experiment with angles. It's not like shooting people, as said above, their attention span can be non existent. Most importantly have fun!

Back