Critique Dog

Looks like a "hot" dog! ;-)

He must trust you very much!

Looks nice and sharp to me.

My thought is that it is a beautiful, artistic, image.

Looks like some sort of awareness poster about pets left at home and house fires. What's it all about? Why the smoke?

I think the feet are a bit distracting, in my opinion it work better as a square crop keeping only the top part which give a more unrealistic feel.

Thanks everyone!!

Lol i didn't even think it could give the impression of a house fire but I can see what u mean :D

I was trying to achieve kind of a mystical look. Maybe I went over the top with the smoke. I dont know. It was meant to look smoky and misty kinda thing lol
After I finished i though it looks interesting so just left it that way :)

I was trying to achieve kind of a mystical look.

Cool idea!

To create it…
– lower a tad your front light and constrain it to the face of the dog
– use another light from behind for the smoke.

Thanks everyone!!

Lol i didn't even think it could give the impression of a house fire but I can see what u mean :D

I was trying to achieve kind of a mystical look. Maybe I went over the top with the smoke. I dont know. It was meant to look smoky and misty kinda thing lol
After I finished i though it looks interesting so just left it that way :)

I think if the dog was outside, and the smoke more diffused it may have hit that mark a little more.

Seems like an ad for not smoking around pets and/or children. That aside, I think the quality of the smoke on the LHS is much more contrasty and competes with the 'softer' smoke on the RHS. Match (!) them for a more even balance. I think the doggie is lovely, would make an excellent portrait without the smoke effect.

The smoke is just an overlay so I can quite easily delete it :D

Just wanted to be a bit more creative and see what I come up with lol

I think it would be better without the smoke as it's a lovely looking Dog as it is.

Unless its an anti smoking poster I don't see the point in the smoke as it could be taken as cruel, people might think you made the dog breathe in cancerous smoke.

I would also agree to try a square crop without the paws to see what it looks like.

Will delete the smoke layer and do a square crop and see what that is going to look like :)

I have to agree it looks more like a smoke kinda advert type shot, my initial thoughts was you were aiming for fog/mystical or something along those lines..
I wonder if the dog was standing it would be on the right path, emerging so to speak?

Op asked for thoughts. Why? was my initial thought!
Why ruin a perfectly nice canine portrait?
Fair enough...I read it initially as you were questioning why the OP wanted our thoughts.

I can see what he wanted to achieve so I'm sure he didn't set out to ruin anything, sometimes we have to try these things, better to try than stick to same olds eh :)

no smoke :D

just a shame the legs came out blurry. And im not sure if i like the square crop look

sometimes we have to try these things, better to try than stick to same olds eh :)

Indeed, experimentation is part of the fun,and it's only by pushing boundaries that greats are born.
But but in this case, it looks like 2 elements thrown together for the sake of it to me.
"Same old" looks better to me in this instance.:)

24889695582_54a60d6a1c_kbb.jpg

A MUCH stronger image without the smoke, IMO... In fact, just beautiful and the lighting is stunning. I didn't 'get' the smoke idea, I'm afraid I didn't see it as mystical... I saw it as cluttering up a really good photo.

@Craig20264 's crop is fab as well.

Indeed, experimentation is part of the fun,and it's only by pushing boundaries that greats are born.
But but in this case, it looks like 2 elements thrown together for the sake of it to me.
"Same old" looks better to me in this instance.:)

View attachment 56710

Yes I don't deny it didn't work in this instance and your crop is lovely, best of them all :)

Tbh i myself think now the smoke didn't work too well with that picture and the crop is actually not bad !

I guess I'm just trying to be creative and then i come up with that kind of stuff lol

Tbh i myself think now the smoke didn't work too well with that picture and the crop is actually not bad !

I guess I'm just trying to be creative and then i come up with that kind of stuff lol
Nothing wrong with being creative. What I and others say matters not a jot. I would always say go with your instinct. Never stop trying to be different. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes it wont.(y)

Back