"d'oh!" purchases...

you should, it's excellent.
Strangly for me it's the Nikon 50mm f/1.8, just didn't get on with it (though, I loved my Canon 50mm and love my Pentax 50mm).

I'm glad you've said that, I'm usually a 50mm lover but I really don't like the Nikon one, and much prefer using the 55-200! it really is an utter bargain. Nikon's cheap glass is really, really good.

Anyway, my biggest photographic mistake?

Canon 1D Mk II and 70-200 2.8 L IS bought at the same time totalling 2.5k

Great kit, absolutely. But my mistake? going for the 1D Mk II because it was 'cheap' at 1.3k and wanting a pro body instead of going for a 20D and putting money towards a 16-35 2.8 which I really needed!

Oh, and then a 580 EX, bought new, sold for 80 quid when I was desperate.

Grad filter screw in filter. That was a bit of an oops when I first got into DSLR and was buying gear. I now have Lee slot in ones.

Monopod, Cokin filters and a Sigma flash that no matter what settings I used still managed to underexpose the image. I had it replaced and the replacement was just as bad. I reckon it was the only flash unit that worked in reverse - it actually sucked light in.

Last edited:
PHOTOGRAPHY MAGAZINES! Great for the first year or two, but they are so repetitive. For techniques, tutorials, advice and reviews there's just so much on line. Google is your friend! ;)

For all of you saying that u never use a monopod, I find it absolutely fantastic when used with an off camera flash bolted to the end and a trigger / cord firing It so you can get some great off axis flash whilst staying mobile (for when my other half is not around to act as a light stand) :) she likes to be involved!

Back