"d'oh!" purchases...

I can honestly say photographic wise, there is nothing that I have brought that I have regretted buying, regretted selling is another storey mind.

While not useless, the following things did make me go DOH!

Nikon wireless remote for a D40 - lost it within a week as it was too small.
Lee 0.9nd filter - turned out it was a lighting gel type filter as I'd misread the description.
Cheap 77mm polarizer - lots of vignetting, crap IQ.
500mm f/8 mirror lens - amazingly long on a 1.5x crop, crap IQ. Only cost a few quid tho.
M42 to Nikon adaptor - cheap one, so no infinity focus.

Canon ST-E2 - had it a few days, sold it. Don't know why I bought it really as I already had FITP Youngou triggers plus a 580II and 430 so could slave off the 580...

Recovered my money, so all well.

DB

Oh yeah, I forgot about the "O" ringflash adapter from Ebay. Uneven illumination and cost 5 stops of light, not to mention the £30.

Came in a nice box though. Both that and the ringflash ended up in the bin.....

Manfrotto Modo tripod. Read so many reviews before I bought it and they all said that it shouldn't have problems supporting normal size DSLR. That might be a case with small lens and indoor, in kind of "wind/cold free" environment. Was absolutely useless in December in Highlands...

A monopod for me too, just can't get used to it, have clobbered a couple of folk near me when turning around forgetting it was attached.

Sigma 70-300. Like a certain tissue, it's soft strong and very long. Well, it's actually longish, not very strong and very soft.

Small Lowepro camera bag! Came here and overfilled it! Lol.

Will swap for monopod made by manfrotto and head.... :) or is that a mistake? Lol

Camera bags for me. As soon as I buy one I seem to get a different lens and it doesn't fit. Guess I'm just crap at planning what I might have in the future. My most useful is one I bought in a charity shop for £3 as a stop gap.
Although I have just bough a cheapie back pack from 7dayshop so I'll see how long it takes to outgrow that one! :thinking:

Interesting about the bag fetish, I've currently got the following Lowepro's...

Mini Trekker (outgrown - doesn't fit gripped bodies, now contains all the unused crap I've mentioned above)
Rezo 100 (K1000/50mm lens and ancient flash live here, only just fit)
Apex Pouch (has crappy, barely used Flip-type video camera in)
TLZ Mini (outgrown - was great for D40 + 18-55mm, but naff all else)
Slingshot 100 (outgrown - doesn't fit big lenses/gripped bodies)
Slingshot 302 (err... it's fapping HUGE, but I'm sure will be outgrown soon :shrug:)

So yeah, I need to add bags to my list :bang:

gorillapod :wacky: what was i thinking? :LOL:

55-200 VR. Never really use the thing.

you should, it's excellent.
Strangly for me it's the Nikon 50mm f/1.8, just didn't get on with it (though, I loved my Canon 50mm and love my Pentax 50mm).
Oh that and a Hoya R72 filter - not good on a D90

you should, it's excellent.
Strangly for me it's the Nikon 50mm f/1.8, just didn't get on with it (though, I loved my Canon 50mm and love my Pentax 50mm).
Oh that and a Hoya R72 filter - not good on a D90

Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance. It's nice and sharp however I find the images to be lacking that certain something my primes/17-55 f2.8 give me. Some could call it 'colour' or 'contrast' but generally the images seem more washed out than I would like. Perhaps I'm just not using it properly!

Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance. It's nice and sharp however I find the images to be lacking that certain something my primes/17-55 f2.8 give me. Some could call it 'colour' or 'contrast' but generally the images seem more washed out than I would like. Perhaps I'm just not using it properly!
Start saving for the 70-200 f2.8 :D

I used my 55-200 for a lot of things from weddings to airshows and was always very happy with the results, but I'm happier with the 70-300 :)

ah yea well the 55-200 is a budget performer but I'm not suprised your 17-55 and primes outmatch it

I assume you mean the old one / non-SP VC?

I think so. It was back in 2006. Had 2 outings with it and returned it. It was just incredibly slow on the long end, pictures were always mushy and the focusing was hit and miss.

Got a Manfrotto monopod that I bought second hand a couple years ago. I've never used it, but it was cheap enough that I'm willing to keep it 'just incase'.

Biggest gripe is the Lowepro Nova AW shoulder bag I bought. Too small and a pain to put the camera in or take out. Think it's meant more for **D's rather than *D's. I might put it up on the market soon.

Well I think I have made a boo boo...I bought a pentax -m 1:2 50mm k mount for my k10 (soon upgrading to K7) and although it fits the camera it doesnt work. Am I wrong in thinking that k mount lenses are for k pentax's? It was only £15 but don't want to make the same mistake again.
Got it off ebay yesterday, should I send it back or am I doing something wrong..probably the latter..Help anyone?

Well I think I have made a boo boo...I bought a pentax -m 1:2 50mm k mount for my k10 (soon upgrading to K7) and although it fits the camera it doesnt work. Am I wrong in thinking that k mount lenses are for k pentax's? It was only £15 but don't want to make the same mistake again.
Got it off ebay yesterday, should I send it back or am I doing something wrong..probably the latter..Help anyone?

I think you must be doing something wrong, I have one of these and its very good on the K10. really should put this on its own thread, bit off topic.

Dave.

Thanks Dave will do..You have given me hope...thought I had made a d'oh buy...

nessiesnest said:
Thanks Dave will do..You have given me hope...thought I had made a d'oh buy...

You are doing it wrong. Basically you need to change a setting on your camera for it to work. Google it, I can't atm *** I'm on my phone

I think so. It was back in 2006. Had 2 outings with it and returned it. It was just incredibly slow on the long end, pictures were always mushy and the focusing was hit and miss.

Mine never made it on to the camera, there was no way, even at £99 (with a 5 year warranty) that I was going to use it - the stock picture showed it with a metal mount, but mine was plastic and the whole thing just felt awful. Arrived and sent back on the same day.

Paul

Monopod here, too. I'm sure it'll come in useful. Probably. I bought it after photographing a gig, thinking I should have had one. Taking the grip off and IS turned on is just as effective, though :)

Last edited:
regret; everything I've bought, at some point

regret; everything I've sold, at some point later...

though the 85mm f/1.4 is prolly the most expensive. Just didn't meet my needs - close focus is important to me, and the bokeh was overly smooth for my wants.

Back