Beginner Doing a friends wedding, advise please.

Hi Damo88. I came on to look for some advice myself but saw your post. I've done three Weddings myself and been an unofficial shooter at another three since 2009 + I have a degree in Photography. There's some great advice on here and to be fair a lot more positive than I found myself years ago (albeit during the recession when a lot of people were trying their hand at being Photographers and digital was still evolving).

I just wanted to add from personal experience to please check the focusing on all the lenses you will be using, close to the day for back or forward focusing issues. Most Pro camera bodies can compensate but you should do test shots checking the full image on each and yes stop down from fully open unless you have the best glass. I borrowed a lens at the last minute from a friend (35mm F1.4 Sigma I think) and he didn't tell me it back-focused slightly. The images were still very passable but you couldn't pixel peep on them and luckily it was when I was unofficial.

Also make sure your camera has no error messages that come up at odd times and that you know what codes mean if they do. My current D700 Nikon needs a service as the mirror keeps locking up and I can't take on any work now as I can't currently afford the likely £570 fee! Luckily photography is on the back burner to another career at the moment but I'd never say never.

I'd also advise to shoot RAW for white balance and the 2 stop safety barrier it gives, as well as that it's better to slightly over-expose than under (less noise in shadows). Nikon for me seems heavy on the blacks by default, though I don't think my Aperture 3 software on my old Macbook Pro helps.

I'd too opt for AP with min shutter speed dialed in and auto ISO unless you are certain of, e.g. good lighting outdoors. Use the camera's memory banks and sync them on both cameras.

I use a dual harness to carry both cameras with different lenses mounted on a quick release so I can dump one to be lighter when needs be. I also got great shots using an assistant to hold my flash on an umbrella mounted on a monopod in manual mode. Great outdoors at dusk.

I hired a 70mm - 200mm F2.8 Nikon lens for around £75 from LensFettish twice and they seem great but get it for a week to get used to. Oh and I found I didn't use it really. The wide 35mm F1.4 was much better as was my 50mm F1.8.

If you're doing it free, I would stress that editing isn't included or only edit a handful as that for me is extremely time-consuming, especially when they might not want the images you edit. Also don't give everything. Limit it to 600ish decent shots that tell the story of the day.

Drink lots of water on the day and take snacks you can eat fast. Also be prepared to assert your role amongst other professionals there but don't get in the way, e.g. catering, as they will often take over re: timings and leave you stressing over getting the shots. And watch out for family members who hog shots when you need to get the one's of the couple on their own before the sun disappears and the night guests appear.

Also grab a posed shot of the couple with the cake quietly.

Look for interesting angles and to accentuate leg length by crouching slightly. Get the candid shots of family matriarch's shaking hands and meeting. Speak to the registrar for rules on shots.

Oh and I would draw up some sort of contract, even for free stuff, and licence use for the couple only or immediate family. You need to make it clear you may use shots in future self promotion or even competitions. Oh and seems obvious but be sure to be insured for public liability and professional indemnity as a minimum. The later is only active as long as you ay afterwards too so costs mount over time.

I like your shots 1-3. I do reckies too beforehand and look for my scenes imagining my couple there. Practice shots in windows in case of bad weather. If you plan to get elevation to grab group shots from a window, a walkie talkie could be useful to advise someone on the ground regarding rearranging.

This is just stuff I've learnt. Good luck!

@Damo88

Just seen in the other thread that you're editing the photos?

Please let us know how you got on with it and what your thoughts are. Would love to see some examples too!

Hope it went well and that the couple are pleased with what you've done (y)

thanks guys, wedding went fantastic, weather was beautiful too, once I've finished doing all the photos ill uploads a few, I did the ceremony, some family friends, and then night due, there was no. meal etc so I aim to provide 350/400 photos

thanks guys, wedding went fantastic, weather was beautiful too, once I've finished doing all the photos ill uploads a few, I did the ceremony, some family friends, and then night due, there was no. meal etc so I aim to provide 350/400 photos

Well done - we all had to start somewhere, even the best wedding togs did their 1st wedding at one point so glad it went well. Good weather helps a lot!

thank you, I have some beautiful shots, I'm more than happy, it couldn't have gone any better, I've sent them a pic teaser and they are over the moon and stated its made them more excited, I didn't send them my top photos, but sent them a decent one so that they don't have huge huge expectations

thank you, I have some beautiful shots, I'm more than happy, it couldn't have gone any better, I've sent them a pic teaser and they are over the moon and stated its made them more excited, I didn't send them my top photos, but sent them a decent one so that they don't have huge huge expectations

Mirrors how mine have gone. Congratulations! Most importantly - did you enjoy it? Would you do it again?

Edit: removing kisses, I text too much lol

350 photos is really too many to provide for a couple of reasons: 1) you can't possibly have taken that many 4-5* shots and you only want to present your best and 2) its good to leave people wanting more, not wishing there were fewer.

But congrats on your first wedding :)

Thanks so much guys, awww i love kisses lool

Ive just had a count and i will be providing 250, ill post some up in a few days when they are all complete.

I deffo enjoyed it, very fast pace, not alot of room for error, just took my time and composed my self, had a second photographer with me. So was great deffo.

Ok guys, I'm by no means a professional but I really enjoyed this and I have many many many more photos like this also, I know I may get some criticism or may not but I am really happy with how these sit, each to there own, I personally love these photos.

Vicky & Lee (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

LnV 1 (6 of 12) by damen ford, on Flickr

vicky & lee 6 (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

vicky & lee 1 (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

vicky & lee 3 (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

vicky & lee 11 (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

vicky & lee 13 (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

vicky & lee 17 (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ok, so there are a couple of technique errors (ever heard of fill flash?) but I reckon that's a great effort for your first wedding, I've seen people pay lots of money for much worse.

The last shot in particular is very nice, well done :)

Ok, so there are a couple of technique errors (ever heard of fill flash?) but I reckon that's a great effort for your first wedding, I've seen people pay lots of money for much worse.

Thanks bud, ye i had my flash and used it in alot of shaded areas etc had it in ttl mode but on some occasions it just wasnt enough therefore needing to up my ttl but i have learnt alot from this experience

Last edited:
Lovely pictures, I think the WB is way off on one or two though.

Well Done :D

For what it's worth, I'm sure they will be really happy that they asked you to do the photos. You knew your limitations, as did the couple, but as with most things, the customer won't notice the things that get picked up on here.

Thats very true, at first they didnt want any posed shots at all but i managed to talk them into it a few weeks back, and compared to say a college studant whod charge £300 i think ive done a good job, i feel proud of it as its my very first wedding and very first engagment with so many people. I sent them a teaser and they loved the picture.

The first thing I noticed on the sample shots above was fill flash.
Flash is an art within its self and needs lots of practice.
Jason Lainer Pro tog calls himself Master Of Light !
Because he state he knows it very well

Doing shots out side will at some point need fill flash or at least reflectors.
If it is a really bright day I will use low exposure to get the sky contrast right, then a fill flash for the foreground subjects.
Also using off camera flash can gain some great results. I do not use any radio triggers or fancy gear. I use my EOS 7D pop up flash a master trigger for speedlites in slave mode. I get some one to hold the flash were I need it. As long as the light sensor part of flash is pointing roughly in camera direction. Everything works well !
I wish I did have a FF dslr and even so you can get some amazing photos with a APSC sensor DSLR.

I was photographer at my step daughters wedding this year. She wanted me as a guest and to enjoy the day and not worry about working. So I was an armed guest with a flash camera. As she wanted me to enjoy the day and not be worry about doing all the photo work. However i did fine it difficult not to switch off, until I was handed several prosecco's !

Even so I brought 2 lens, dslr eos 7D, a speedlite to the party. The official tog was using a APSC 600D ( I am sure it was an entry level model ) and the pop up flash and only had limited effect.
Also when i chatted to tog what my ideas were so not to step on her toes. She did actually knick over half of them her self, cheek of it ! !

I did feel the limited amount of photos I took were very reasonable and bride and groom were impressed.
I did take a few bridesmaids off to one side out side in the grounds for portrait shoot. Which went really well as others have mentioned why i did not ask them,...ha... typical.

To be fair i did have a fair bit to drink and I did enjoy myself,.... :):beer::beer::beer::canon: !

IMO the water fall shots I would have done one of two things or even both.
IMO the water need more silk effect as the water is frozen.
So I would have either shot a slow shutter scene with out the couple in the shot. Then add the couple in the next shot and photoshop the couple on to the slow Mo frame. Or use 2nd curtain sync with a flash to get a slower shutter speed to blur / silk feel to the water.
I know this is all after the fact, however the Author will know for this venue next. If it were me I would take a mate with me and go practice the above technique, as I feel it would add a great dimension to the authors portfolio and experience.

I think all the photos the newly weds will be happy with and LOVE and Red London Bus photos are a really good touch.

Last edited:
Back