Domain/webiste naming

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Iam intending to setup a basic wordpress site for my photography and need to buy a domain. Can you knowledgeable people offer me some advice on the process involved?

Ive had a look on 123reg for ideas, is it just a case of thinking of a good domain name and checking to see if its available? Then go from there...

jameswhitephotography.com / .co.uk has been taken as I expected really can anyone offer any alternatives? :)

Thanks for the ideas, wouldnt it be better to have a blog included in the webiste if I went that route?

I'm with fast hosting direct.
For £20 (for 2 years) they'll give you a .co.uk domain and an unlimited bandwidth/storage account.
On the control panel, you have the option of installing wordpress with 1 click. really simple to do.

I'd advise against getting a free domain name with web hosting. If you register with a domain registrar such as 123reg, you just "point" the domain at your web hosters name servers. If you decide that your web providers aren't any good you can just set up the same site with another web hosting company and point the nameservers at that. Some of the free registrations are difficult/costly to get out of - and once they have registered your domain for you, they effectively own the domain. For the cost of about £8 for 2 years, it's not worth the risk IMHO.

I'd advise against getting a free domain name with web hosting. If you register with a domain registrar such as 123reg, you just "point" the domain at your web hosters name servers. If you decide that your web providers aren't any good you can just set up the same site with another web hosting company and point the nameservers at that. Some of the free registrations are difficult/costly to get out of - and once they have registered your domain for you, they effectively own the domain. For the cost of about £8 for 2 years, it's not worth the risk IMHO.

:plus1:

As for the name, just keep trying different combinations until you find something you like.

I'm with fast hosting direct.
For £20 (for 2 years) they'll give you a .co.uk domain and an unlimited bandwidth/storage account.
On the control panel, you have the option of installing wordpress with 1 click. really simple to do.

Ooooo this sounds interesting, do they offer .com 's aswell?

Nope, I dont want to get a free domain. More than willing to spend money where its needed :)

:plus1:

As for the name, just keep trying different combinations until you find something you like.

Thanks, jamespwhite.com is free :thinking: iam not sure if I want photography in the URL what would you guys suggest?

I must have got lucky with facebook pages...I just set mine up and managed to get jameswhitephotography Shocked!

Last edited:
Nope, I dont want to get a free domain. More than willing to spend money where its needed :)
But that's what fast hosting direct is - a free .co.uk domain tied to the hosting provider....

Heart Internet for the domain and vp4less.co.uk. that's all I ever use :p

www.vp4less.co.uk gives me:

Host Not Found

DNS error (the host name of the page you are looking for does not exist) or Server did not accept the connection.

Please check that the host name has been spelled correctly.

I'm in work at the mo, so don't know if it's a work thing....

Thanks, jamespwhite.com is free :thinking: iam not sure if I want photography in the URL what would you guys suggest?

If you want to be found on google, having 'photography' in the name helps. On the other hand, you don't want a long web address. What about jpwphotography?
How you style your web site in terms of 'James White Photography' has no bearing on the actual domain name.
Don't use hypens, people never remember to put them in.
You say the .com is available, what about the co.uk? Who has the co.uk if its taken? Are they anywhere near you? Will there be confusion about you and them?

Just food for though. :)

www.vp4less.co.uk gives me:

I'm in work at the mo, so don't know if it's a work thing....

Yup down for me too.

If you want to be found on google, having 'photography' in the name helps. On the other hand, you don't want a long web address. What about jpwphotography?

jpwphotography I like it, but its already been taken :crying:

How you style your web site in terms of 'James White Photography' has no bearing on the actual domain name.
Don't use hypens, people never remember to put them in.
You say the .com is available, what about the co.uk? Who has the co.uk if its taken? Are they anywhere near you? Will there be confusion about you and them?

Just food for though. :)

Yup dont want hypens or dot's! www.jamespwhite .com / .co.uk well .eu .net all of those and more are free...

Does it have to be a .com or .co.uk?

www.jimmywhite.pro is available as is www.jameswhite.pro

Both have a certain ring to them :)

What is a .pro used for?

.PRO is an exclusive top-level domain reserved for use exclusively by licensed business and service professionals and entities internationally.

All applicants meeting the following qualifications may register a .PRO domain name:

- Provides professional services

- Admitted to or licensed by a government certification body

- In good standing with the licensing authority

Last edited:
I'd think most people have never heard of a .pro and would the OP qualify?

If more than one domain type is free (e.g. .com, .co.uk etc) when you find your domain name, register them all as James White isn't all that uncommon ...

Does it have to be a .com or .co.uk?

www.jimmywhite.pro is available as is www.jameswhite.pro

Both have a certain ring to them :)

What is a .pro used for?

.PRO is an exclusive top-level domain reserved for use exclusively by licensed business and service professionals and entities internationally.

All applicants meeting the following qualifications may register a .PRO domain name:

- Provides professional services

- Admitted to or licensed by a government certification body

- In good standing with the licensing authority

Yeah noticed that too, thanks. Although iam not sure I qualify and plus Ive never seen anyone use it before?

I'd think most people have never heard of a .pro and would the OP qualify?

If more than one domain type is free (e.g. .com, .co.uk etc) when you find your domain name, register them all as James White isn't all that uncommon ...

^^^ and I would have to buy each domain wouldnt I? That would be quite a cost!

LOL Sorry guys was typing from my phone! It's http://vps4less.co.uk/

Used them for quite a while now and have about 15 of my clients websites hosted on there with not a single issue with downtime etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
What do you want the website for?

Are you looking just to share your photography with the world/family? Are you looking to start a business? Why not start a brand rather than just using your name?

123 reg are great for domain names, and I'd personally reccomend TSO Hosting for your server space (I have a reseller account with them and am very happy with their service).

Also don't get too hung up over having a 1-click Wordpress install. Yes it does make it easier but it's not too difficult to do it manually, and there's loads of helpers on here if you get stuck.

What do you want the website for?

Are you looking just to share your photography with the world/family? Are you looking to start a business? Why not start a brand rather than just using your name?

123 reg are great for domain names, and I'd personally reccomend TSO Hosting for your server space (I have a reseller account with them and am very happy with their service).

Good questions, just to showcase my photos really. Flickr is ok, but I would like a more personal look and setup. In the long term of things if things process then yeah maybe I could look into possible booking/sales.

I think I would prefer just to use my name to be honest rather than design a suitable logo and name etc.

Yeah think iam gonna go with 123reg and TSO Hosting, heard loads of good things about them :)

Also don't get too hung up over having a 1-click Wordpress install. Yes it does make it easier but it's not too difficult to do it manually, and there's loads of helpers on here if you get stuck.

Well I don't know anything about webdesign, I would say iam highly knowledgeable with PC's/software/hardware etc tho.

^^^ and I would have to buy each domain wouldnt I? That would be quite a cost!

Not really, a .co.uk is about £7 for 2 yrs, a .com not much more. Its the newer domains that cost £50+

LOL Sorry guys was typing from my phone! It's http://vps4less.co.uk/

Used them for quite a while now and have about 15 of my clients websites hosted on there with not a single issue with downtime etc.

You might not have had any problems, but there's a red flag for me when I see its located in Paris (phone costs ...) and when I click on the contact link I get a 'not trusted' return. Sorry, I wouldn't use them.

You might not have had any problems, but there's a red flag for me when I see its located in Paris (phone costs ...) and when I click on the contact link I get a 'not trusted' return. Sorry, I wouldn't use them.
I'm running a completely standard Win7 install here (it's a works PC so...). I don't get the not trusted return. Which web browser are you runninga nd which OS? Do you keep it updated. The root security certificates need to be valid for the authentication to be OK'd.

They also state they have UK based support and TBH, I find most support better via mails and ticketing systems.

I have met with them in person to discuss a massive project im working on for a client. Their servers are in Paris but are based in Sheffield.

If you decide to go for hosting without 1-click installs, I will gladly set up Wordpress for you, anything to help a fellow togger out :)

Ah thats a very kind offer, many thanks. Well fire away :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Not really, a .co.uk is about £7 for 2 yrs, a .com not much more. Its the newer domains that cost £50+

Ok but what benefit would I get to buying all of those domain instead of just buying jamespwhite.com for example? :thinking:

You stop another James white from setting up in competition with the same name ie you protect your brand. Of course you don't have to and if you have no desire to operate commercially it may not be important but I suggest you consider the implications :)

I have met with them in person to discuss a massive project im working on for a client. Their servers are in Paris but are based in Sheffield.

Glad to know that.

I'm running a completely standard Win7 install here (it's a works PC so...). I don't get the not trusted return. Which web browser are you runninga nd which OS? Do you keep it updated. The root security certificates need to be valid for the authentication to be OK'd.

They also state they have UK based support and TBH, I find most support better via mails and ticketing systems.

I use OSX lion and Firefox that shld be current.

You stop another James white from setting up in competition with the same name ie you protect your brand. Of course you don't have to and if you have no desire to operate commercially it may not be important but I suggest you consider the implications :)

Ah right, yes good comment! Thanks

No problem Jimmy. As soon as you have purchased your hosting just drop me a PM and I'll be more than happy to help you get it all set up :)

Matt

If you decide to go for hosting without 1-click installs, I will gladly set up Wordpress for you, anything to help a fellow togger out :)

Yep same here, can help out if needed.

Although if you do go with TSO you will have a 1-click install (y)

Cheers think iam gonna go with jamespwhite.com and the co.uk do whats you thoughts on using 'p' in the URL?

Personally, it doesn't work too well for me. the 'p' is unlikely to be remembered when people type in your web address. Jameswhitepix is available in .co.uk and .com. Also jameswhiteimages.
If you go to nameboy.com and type in your preferences it comes up with some suggestions.
photojameswhite seems the best of them.

Personally, it doesn't work too well for me. the 'p' is unlikely to be remembered when people type in your web address. Jameswhitepix is available in .co.uk and .com. Also jameswhiteimages.
If you go to nameboy.com and type in your preferences it comes up with some suggestions.
photojameswhite seems the best of them.

Thanks again Photodiva, as you can imagine I want to get this right so iam looking at my options...

Some great ideas cheers, like Jameswhitepix and photojameswhite

What site are you checking these against?

Thanks again Photodiva, as you can imagine I want to get this right so iam looking at my options...

Some great ideas cheers, like Jameswhitepix and photojameswhite

What site are you checking these against?

I use LCN and just typed them into the search box. The domains appear to be available.

Last edited:
I use LCN and just typed them into the search box. The domains appear to be available.

Cheers, just checking out http://nameboy.com now aswell

Ideas so far:

jwimages
jamespwhite.com / co.uk
Jameswhitepix
photojameswhite
jameswhiteonline.co.uk
jameswhitemedia.co.uk
jameswhitephoto.co.uk
jpwphotos
photojameswhite

I really like 'jwimages' short and easy to remember.

Not keen on the initial ones, doesn't flow off the tongue too easy and the ones with 'photo' at the start just look odd IMHO

I really like 'jwimages' short and easy to remember.

Not keen on the initial ones, doesn't flow off the tongue too easy and the ones with 'photo' at the start just look odd IMHO

Thanks for your input, jwimages .com / .co.uk are taken :bang:

Domains are not expensive so register a few, you can always use them for different aspects of your photography.

jpwstudios sounds good

jameswhite-imaging ?

Only thing is I don't own a studio, and probably a long long way off! A friend came up with the name.

Another point, what are the implications of say changing the domain name xyears down the line. A big problem?

Back