Domain/webiste naming

You don't change it, you simply buy another and stop renewing the old one. Likewise there's nothing to stop you buying a DN now and not doing anything with it until you need it.

You don't change it, you simply buy another and stop renewing the old one. Likewise there's nothing to stop you buying a DN now and not doing anything with it until you need it.

Can you transfer from one domain to another with everything in-tack?

jimmy83 said:
Can you transfer from one domain to another with everything in-tack?

Yes, you can also have many domains directing to one site.

Thanks for verifying that Craikeybaby :)

Don't confuse your web hosting with your domain name, they can be bought together or totally seperate. You set up your hosting and then point your domain name towards it, as Lewis says you can have more than one domain name leading to the same site.

Cheers Steep, iam sure things will become clearer once I finally decide on a domain name! A few others ive come across,

whiteimages
whitephotos
whitephotography
photographyinwhite
photoitwhite
thewhitephoto
thewhiteexposure

Right still not sorted a domain name...narrowed it down too

photojameswhite.com
PhotographyJamesWhite.com
jameswhitephotos.com
jameswhitephotograph.com

Thoughts? Think iam going to go with photojameswhite.com

I prefer the jameswhite bit first...

Jameswhitephotos works best for me out of all those.

Photodiva said:
Jameswhitephotos works best for me out of all those.

Thanks guys yeah think I will go with that :)

So whats best to use namecheap.com or 123-reg.co.uk ?

Domain monster ;)

Domain monster ;)

Someone else to consider now! Going to stick with 123, but thanks anyway.

Do I need to add Whois, and anything like SSL?

Whois is automatic. You only need an SSL certificate if you are going to accept payment through the site or you want to store users logins securely. Most don't need that (plus you'll need a dedicated IP address for your website).

Whois is automatic. You only need an SSL certificate if you are going to accept payment through the site or you want to store users logins securely. Most don't need that (plus you'll need a dedicated IP address for your website).

123reg has Whois as an extra, pretty sure its not included in the price.

Can I add the 'SSL certificate' at a later date if needs be?

SSL later - yes. In fact, if you don't know whether you need one, you don't yet ;)

I'm with 123-reg and I have a whois entry... What service are they offering paid for.

123-reg are more pricey for web hosting than other suppliers (but that's a different question...)

arad85 said:
SSL later - yes. In fact, if you don't know whether you need one, you don't yet ;)

I'm with 123-reg and I have a whois entry... What service are they offering paid for.

123-reg are more pricey for web hosting than other suppliers (but that's a different question...)

The Whois is an option after you select your domain it's £9:99 to have it. SSL ok cool might get that at a later point if needs be.

The only reference to whois is an ability to opt out of having your address displayed. That's a free option as far as I can see....

If they're trying to charge you extra for something you don't need, I'd avoid using them!

All my 20 odd domains are with 123reg. I've never paid for Whois inclusion, it's automatically free. You can ask to not have your info displayed, that is also free.

Yay, finally bought jameswhitephotos.com now what

Been looking at both Vida and TSO, similar basic packages TSO slight cheaper. Can someone tell me what package would suit me the best? Would I get away with the cheapest?

Disk Space - The amount of space provided to store your website files and e-mail. 0.5GB Does this mean I would get 500MB a month to upload?

Well done, James.
I guess for a start up website, you probably ought to look at spending no more than £60 pa.
You don't need loads of whizzbangs, like SSL and MySQL. Keep it simple.
500GB of web space is huge. Web pages need to be small in size to load quickly. I think my own site files amount to no more than 2mb in all.
Some people use the additional space as 'backup' storage.

Last edited:
If you want to run a content management system such as Wordpress, you will need a MySQL database.

Yay, finally bought jameswhitephotos.com now what

Been looking at both Vida and TSO, similar basic packages TSO slight cheaper. Can someone tell me what package would suit me the best? Would I get away with the cheapest?

Disk Space - The amount of space provided to store your website files and e-mail. 0.5GB Does this mean I would get 500MB a month to upload?

tso you can upgrade the package if you find you are running out of space or bandwidth. its been done both times i asked for it within 10 mins.

i have an affiliate link for tso if you want it.

Photodiva said:
Well done, James.
I guess for a start up website, you probably ought to look at spending no more than £60 pa.
500GB of web space is huge. Web pages need to be small in size to load quickly. I think my own site files amount to no more than 2mb in all.
Some people use the additional space as 'backup' storage.

500GB! It's 500MB! Yup will be using Wordpress so will get a package with MySQL cheers.

neil_g said:
tso you can upgrade the package if you find you are running out of space or bandwidth. its been done both times i asked for it within 10 mins.

i have an affiliate link for tso if you want it.

Go for it Neil, might be untreated :)

Look forward to seeing your site when its up!

Look forward to seeing your site when its up!

(y)

A guy in another forum posted this...

With Vidahost, you can get the 2gb package for just a few quid more than the 500mb starter package if you use their starter code and go for the three years for the price of two.

500mb = £17 x 3 = £51
2gb = £29 x 2 - 10% = £52.20

If my maths is right... And you get a lot more stuff on the 2gb package.

Its actually £62.64 (inc. VAT) but think I will go with vidahost now.

I remember reading that I think its suggested to use Google tools? For the domain email?

I've only every had hosting with namesco but I have no complains. Website hosting / editing is easy. The emails work perfectly and they have given me great customer service. Quite cheap for what you get also.

Just my 2p lol

I went for the vidahost package and paid last night for it, when I open jameswhitephotos.com I keep getting re-directed too 123reg, shouldnt it be the vidahost cpanel?

jimmy83 said:
I remember reading that I think its suggested to use Google tools? For the domain email?

I'm a big fan of the Google Apps suite, I find it a lot more flexible/reliable than the one that comes with CPanel hosting, plus the spam filter is really good.

I went for the vidahost package and paid last night for it, when I open jameswhitephotos.com I keep getting re-directed too 123reg, shouldnt it be the vidahost cpanel?

You've got to go into the domain settings on 123-reg and set the DNS servers to the ones that vidahost supply you.

That way, anyone going to your web address will be 'pointed' to your vidahost accoung.

Craikeybaby said:
I'm a big fan of the Google Apps suite, I find it a lot more flexible/reliable than the one that comes with CPanel hosting, plus the spam filter is really good.

Do you just use gmail?

jokeruk said:
You've got to go into the domain settings on 123-reg and set the DNS servers to the ones that vidahost supply you.

That way, anyone going to your web address will be 'pointed' to your vidahost accoung.

Cheers will check tonight

jimmy83 said:
Do you just use gmail?

It is effectively gmail, but to/from address is my domain.

Had my domain name(s) for a year now, but after reading this thread finally decided to get my finger out and start a site. Gone with Vidahost too.....(y)

I think I might have one or two questions soon!:thinking:

Under what option is this?

All I want to be able to do for the time beginning is put 'under construction' in large font on the website...

All I want to be able to do for the time beginning is put 'under construction' in large font on the website...

omigosh! NO. and NO.

Back