Domain/webiste naming

Photodiva said:
omigosh! NO. and NO.

Oh thought that was a good idea and have that while I learn Wordpress choose a good template and sort my best images...

I didn't think launching a site with a few images and crappy/free Wordpress site was a good idea.

The basic Wordpress template is actually quite powerful, you can get something half decent set up in a few minutes.

And just because you've got a site doesn't mean that you have to publicise it until it's ready. It's actually quite awkward to move a WordPress site once installed anyway.

An 'under construction' page will do more harm to your reputation than no website at all in my opinion.

You'll see something like 'Display/change nameservers' in the control panel.

Hopefully.

If not, search the 123-reg support database, i've no doubt there will be a step-by-step guide in there.

Cheers mate, sorted it now :)

The basic Wordpress template is actually quite powerful, you can get something half decent set up in a few minutes.

Ok thanks, now reading up all about templates etc...

And just because you've got a site doesn't mean that you have to publicise it until it's ready. It's actually quite awkward to move a WordPress site once installed anyway.

An 'under construction' page will do more harm to your reputation than no website at all in my opinion.

Yup I won't bother now.

Need to setup an email aswell intending to use gmail, thoughts on?

email @ jameswhitephotos.com
info @ jameswhitephotos.com
james @ jameswhitephotos.com
me @ jameswhitephotos.com

I would set the account up as "James", the set up a few directs, I use "photography" on my business cards and "mail" to sign up for services.

I would set the account up as "James", the set up a few directs, I use "photography" on my business cards and "mail" to sign up for services.

james @ jameswhitephotos.com yeah?

Sorry what do you mean 'directs'?

Yeah, you have james@jameswhite.com as the main address, but then you are free to add other addresses that forward to the main one. For instance I have info@... that I use on my website, rather than lewis@... but emails still show up in the main inbox.

Craikeybaby said:
Yeah, you have james@jameswhite.com as the main address, but then you are free to add other addresses that forward to the main one. For instance I have info@... that I use on my website, rather than lewis@... but emails still show up in the main inbox.

Doesn't that just you ending up with loads of different inboxes? Wouldn't that be difficult to organise?

Nope, lots of addresses, but only one inbox.

Craikeybaby said:
Nope, lots of addresses, but only one inbox.

Ah I see! Yeah that could be good. Can you tell me how to set that up?

It's called aliases in the user section of the Google Apps domain control panel.

Sorry - never used Google Apps. I just get my Gmail account to pull mail from my other account (which is on my server).

Cheers anyway

My DNS changes take a few hours for Google to detect, have you tried following the guide on Google rather than with your registrar?

Craikeybaby said:
My DNS changes take a few hours for Google to detect, have you tried following the guide on Google rather than with your registrar?

Yup followed both the google and 123reg guides...still can't verify it :( do you use gmail with your own domain?

No, I use Google apps. Which looks like Gmail, but runs through Google apps.

Which method are you using to verify your domains? I use the TXT record as my registrar has an easy to use DNS tool. Are you telling Google where to look for the domain ownership (TXT record/HTML file etc)?

No, I use Google apps. Which looks like Gmail, but runs through Google apps.

Which method are you using to verify your domains? I use the TXT record as my registrar has an easy to use DNS tool. Are you telling Google where to look for the domain ownership (TXT record/HTML file etc)?

Iam using 123reg for my domain. TXT doesnt seem to work. Tried this and its not working either :bang:

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=54291

Original

QQgek.png

Editted

nRQzI.png

and then each time I try to verify it I just get this! So annoying!

OeYQC.png

I doubt the MX records will work until the domain has been verified. If the TXT record doesn't work, upload the HTML file to your web space.

I doubt the MX records will work until the domain has been verified. If the TXT record doesn't work, upload the HTML file to your web space.

If I knew how to I would :bang::shrug::thinking::(

3KdKf.png

Just thought I should point out iam using vidahosting... nameservers: ns2.vidahost.com, ns3.vidahost.com, ns1.vidahost.com but I dont think that should make any difference.

Last edited:
If I knew how to I would :bang::shrug::thinking::(

It's written in black and blue in the image you posted - it even gives you the URL to click.

3KdKf.png

Follow steps 1-4

Basically, if you can upload a file to the host, Google considers you own the website.

It's written in black and blue in the image you posted - it even gives you the URL to click.

3KdKf.png

Follow steps 1-4

Basically, if you can upload a file to the host, Google considers you own the website.

So how do I upload the file to my domain? :thinking: Yeah ive read the above and downloaded the file. But iam stuck as to how you would upload it. I assume its different to uploading a file as you would with imgur/flickr/photobucket etc.

Hmmm, well finally sorted it. Realised that instead of looking at 123reg I need to be looking at my hosting firm and with abit of guess work on where to upload the file too. BINGO :)

GDSiO.png

arad85 said:
Via FTP. The username/password will be provided in your welcome e-mail/pack. I use filezilla client: http://filezilla-project.org/

Vidahost howto on FTP: https://www.vidahost.com/knowledge-base/support/how-to-use-ftp

Thanks man, I sorted it see above. There is alot too google apps, I didn't quite know its so in depth.

I've got a problem with the emails tho, I can send them ok from james@james white photos.com but can't receive any mails for some reason, any ideas?

That would be the MX records, are they set up?

jimmy83 said:
Thanks man, I sorted it see above. There is alot too google apps, I didn't quite know its so in depth.

I've got a problem with the emails tho, I can send them ok from james@james white photos.com but can't receive any mails for some reason, any ideas?

Still got this problem, even after adding the MX Records...

jokeruk said:
What is it doing? Any bounce emails? Any error messages?

All sorted now jokeruk, I ha to add the MX Records to my hosting and not 123reg! Doh!

Thanks again for the help. Now to learn Wordpress!

Back