Beginner Don’t know what to get.

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for a camera for just general use on travel, trips and holidays so I’m not relying on my phone and have something with actual zoom but I have no idea what’s good and bad, what’s the advantages of a compact vs a mirror less and I don’t even know what a mirror less is! Was looking at something like a FujiFilm XF10 on the compact side or a XA5 on the not compact. I carry a large backpack everywhere anyway (work habit) so it’s not like carrying a larger camera would be a chore.

Overall I just don’t know what would be good for a beginner. Budget is £400 but ideally would prefer less. Don’t know if the models I’ve looked at are any good or if they’re a good value or if they’re awful and a camera that’s half the price is as good.

Would appreciate any help or advice.

Basic DSLR/ micro 4/3 with a kit combo if you are interested in in post processing your image files.
If you just want photos with the bare minimum of post processing then a high quality compact camera with the zoom range you require.
Personally I would probably go for the micro four thirds. It’s small, light, the newer models have decent sensors and enough variety of lenses for what you need. They also have decent image stabilisation.

Basic DSLR/ micro 4/3 with a kit combo if you are interested in in post processing your image files.
If you just want photos with the bare minimum of post processing then a high quality compact camera with the zoom range you require.
Personally I would probably go for the micro four thirds. It’s small, light, the newer models have decent sensors and enough variety of lenses for what you need. They also have decent image stabilisation.
Might be interested in working with stuff later on but not to start out. Not a clue what a micro 4/3 is so could you elaborate?

Are you looking to have photography as a hobby or just a camera to put in auto mode and take some snaps?

If the latter, https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-powershot-sx70-hs-digital-camera-1676141/
Unsure, I get the opportunity to travel with work to different places and it’d be nice to get into photography as a hobby. It’s not something I’d want to pour thousands into but it’d be fun to do. I know that’s not a great amount of help but it’s something I’m thinking about with compact vs I want to say proper camera because a proper camera to me is something you can get lens for.

EDIT: to be fair I said I wouldn’t pour thousands into PCs and I have

Last edited:
When I travel with work, I tend to take my compact camera, a Panasonic LX100. The current iteration might be out of your price range as it’s over £600 - depends how much you want to stretch your budget - but other compacts like the Sony RX100 get great reviews and can would be within budget (especially if you buy used).

When I travel with work, I tend to take my compact camera, a Panasonic LX100. The current iteration might be out of your price range as it’s over £600 - depends how much you want to stretch your budget - but other compacts like the Sony RX100 get great reviews and can would be within budget (especially if you buy used).

I can always wait and get one I mean I won’t be heading out anytime soon :)

Are you looking to have photography as a hobby or just a camera to put in auto mode and take some snaps?

If the latter, https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-powershot-sx70-hs-digital-camera-1676141/
Decided I may want to take it up as a hobby so went for the bottom end XA20 (not the XA10 cos I figured the touchscreen would be worth it) with lens for like £200, see how I get on with that and if I enjoy it I’ll move onto something better. Figured something with less features would be less daunting.

What's an XA20?
FujiFilm bottom end mirrorless. Same as the X-A10 but with a touchscreen. Not amazing but it’s something to learn on and not expensive enough for me to feel likes it’s been a waste if I want to move to something better in a year or so.

ah, thanks :D

I hope you get a lot of fun out of it.

I like to take a camera when we go out for a walk even for a walk to the shops, we take the scenic route, as I like to take pictures of the scenery, any wild flowers or sometimes it's just the light.

Have fun! :D

Back