Don McCullin on the telly.

It’s all kicking off on Twitter about Mccullin. A photography lecturer from Brighton Uni - who appears to have a massive chip on his shoulder, but is entitled to his opinion nonetheless - has amongst other things derided McCullin as boring. He seems to be in the minority it has to be said.....
I found the tweets and wasn't sure if it was McCullin or his work that was said to be boring. The lecturer's main gripe seemed to be about knightoods and colonialism rather than the photographs.

It’s all kicking off on Twitter about Mccullin. A photography lecturer from Brighton Uni - who appears to have a massive chip on his shoulder, but is entitled to his opinion nonetheless - has amongst other things derided McCullin as boring. He seems to be in the minority it has to be said.....

Let me think: lecturer from Brighton v Don McCullin. Jealousy, perhaps?

I found the tweets and wasn't sure if it was McCullin or his work that was said to be boring. The lecturer's main gripe seemed to be about knightoods and colonialism rather than the photographs.

Sounds about right. I got halfway through the sh!tstorm and lost interest. Not sure if anyone pointed out to him that McCullin also photographed poverty in the English working class quite extensively in his career, a subject matter that the lecturer has a bit of a bee in his bonnet over.

Sounds about right. I got halfway through the sh!tstorm and lost interest. Not sure if anyone pointed out to him that McCullin also photographed poverty in the English working class quite extensively in his career, a subject matter that the lecturer has a bit of a bee in his bonnet over.
He shouldn't need that pointing out. But it looked like he was more a lecturer in esoteric aspects surrounding photography than photography itself. A storm in a tea cup created by someone trying to raise their profile I expect.

The fool seems to have done some backtracking and guess what? He has a book coming out later this year!

Back