Dongle usage and cost

Name
Tug
Edit My Images
Yes
Im just considering which dongle to buy..probably 2 different ones.

What network providers are you guys using to connect pitchside?

On average how much data are you uplaoding per month ?

Any recommends on suppliers?

Hi Simon
I use a MIFI unit on the 3 network!. I was lucky in that when I signed up for the contract I was given a mifi unit which would normally cost £50.00 I get 15g a month for £11.99 I never use that amount even with phones & laptops running off it! but it's such a great value deal I don't want to let it lapse. 3 are upgrading all to 4g as a free upgrade soon too :). I also have a vodaphone dongle with a pre payed 1g but it is Tbh crap!. Kind regards Graham.

three network.. 1 gb a month on PAYG £10 and never use anywhere near

Hi Simon
I use a MIFI unit on the 3 network!. I was lucky in that when I signed up for the contract I was given a mifi unit which would normally cost £50.00 I get 15g a month for £11.99 I never use that amount even with phones & laptops running off it! but it's such a great value deal I don't want to let it lapse. 3 are upgrading all to 4g as a free upgrade soon too :). I also have a vodaphone dongle with a pre payed 1g but it is Tbh crap!. Kind regards Graham.

Thats a good deal Graham. Id keep it going too ..

three network.. 1 gb a month on PAYG £10 and never use anywhere near

How much wiring do you do Tony ? More from pitchside during the game or do you send more from after the game at home ?

Thats a good deal Graham. Id keep it going too ..

How much wiring do you do Tony ? More from pitchside during the game or do you send more from after the game at home ?

this is why your question isnt exactly much use to you.. we all use different amounts.. I send pitchside.. but stock i send from home...

3 here, £5 a month for 15GB with a mi-fi (rarely use) and hi-link dongle, i get this because im a long standing customer and occasionally threaten to go elsewhere as well as complaining when they make offers to NON existing customers

also use mine at work everyday to get rounf firewalls and never used more than 7-8GB a month

Maybe teaching Granny but you can tether a smartphone instead.
I have a 3 dongle but will be sending it back as my PC/Nexus are now tethered through my Galaxy S3 (and mini). I don't do trackside uploading but it might be worth looking at your phone contract instead?
Matt

3 here, £5 a month for 15GB with a mi-fi (rarely use) and hi-link dongle, i get this because im a long standing customer and occasionally threaten to go elsewhere as well as complaining when they make offers to NON existing customers

also use mine at work everyday to get rounf firewalls and never used more than 7-8GB a month

Cheers Gary, Three does appear to offer the best deals. The one you have is fantastic. Maybe I should start complaining too ;)

Maybe teaching Granny but you can tether a smartphone instead.
I have a 3 dongle but will be sending it back as my PC/Nexus are now tethered through my Galaxy S3 (and mini). I don't do trackside uploading but it might be worth looking at your phone contract instead?
Matt

I have a fantastic deal on my phone so I dont want to upgrade or alert Voda to the fact either.They may just stop it as it should have lapsed 2 years ago. Thanks for the suggestion though.

this is why your question isnt exactly much use to you.. we all use different amounts.. I send pitchside.. but stock i send from home...

Thats good, I think 1gb will be fine for me. Voda are offering 1gb a month for £7.87 Incl.

I'm still looking for the best deal too.

Thanks for all info

i use 3 mifi and buy my pay u go cards from Ebay, normally about £11 for 3Gig, lasts 90 days.Have no probs sending from pitch side and don't need it during closed season.

Simon,
I will warn you that Vodaphone is, as a rule, very poor around the grounds!! so pitch side transmision will be an issue!.
I struggle @ half time with 3 as everyman & his dog light up their mobiles but most of the time they fly as do O2 I believe, but the only time I used the voda dongle was @ Sheff Weds when 3 wouldn't send, (i'm sure they have a blocking system:cautious: lol), & it took the whole half time to send just 2 images:shake:. 10 mins into 2nd half I sent 20 images in just over a min!.
I'm not trying to brand point but I'd hate you to buy a product that doesn't work:shrug: & with experence Voda doesn't work!!

i use 3 mifi and buy my pay u go cards from Ebay, normally about £11 for 3Gig, lasts 90 days.Have no probs sending from pitch side and don't need it during closed season.

That's interesting Allan ref Ebad, I'll look into that.

Simon,
I will warn you that Vodaphone is, as a rule, very poor around the grounds!! so pitch side transmision will be an issue!.
I struggle @ half time with 3 as everyman & his dog light up their mobiles but most of the time they fly as do O2 I believe, but the only time I used the voda dongle was @ Sheff Weds when 3 wouldn't send, (i'm sure they have a blocking system:cautious: lol), & it took the whole half time to send just 2 images:shake:. 10 mins into 2nd half I sent 20 images in just over a min!.
I'm not trying to brand point but I'd hate you to buy a product that doesn't work:shrug: & with experence Voda doesn't work!!

That's probably why they are the cheapest Graham. Thanks for the heads up.

That's interesting Allan ref Ebad, I'll look into that.

That's probably why they are the cheapest Graham. Thanks for the heads up.
The 20 in about a min was via 3 by the way!!

3 MiFi 10g/month for £15

So nowhere near as good as Gary and Graham. 3 have put their prices up quite a lot now.

Even using it for work I've only used 10gb since November last year.

Mifi from three here to, Cant remember if I have 1gb or 5gb for £9 something a month

I've only used 2.5 gb since Nov last year

Simon, think it's always been 3 that comes out as best overall provider, never had any issues where i send from except from under Panasonic stand at Hudds, move 10 yards away and its fine, anywhere else ive been in country has been fine.

Drove back from Warrington Wednesday night over the M62 and my lad was happily streaming the England v Scotland match.

Three it is then. O2 as a secondary ?
Never needed a back up but i suppose one of those 1GB PAYG jobbies might be OK

Failing that if youre with SKY then get registered on the "cloud" and always make a note of your nearest McDonalads LOL, for the price of a coffee it might get you out of a hole.

I've been using 3 with ok-ish results. Good speed sending a few off about 20 mins in to the game. Bit slow at half time, but full time is ok again.

Have just bought a 4G dongle on PAYG from EE. Will have to see how that fares this weekend. Will report back here

Just upgraded to 4g on EE after being with t- mobile which as is well documented I had no end of trouble with
The EE seems at the moment a vast improvement but only 3weeks in

What are you paying for the 4g Nigel.

I have just looked and it shows £70 for 6Gb usable over 3 months.

Question not aimed at me but 13.33+VAT for 3 gb per month,24 month contract, they also do a 1gb per month think that's a tenner

What are you paying for the 4g Nigel.

I have just looked and it shows £70 for 6Gb usable over 3 months.

I paid £50 for 6Gb usable over 3 months, Rob. The deal is on till 31 Aug. Will give it a try at MK Dons on Saturday and Watford on Sunday. Both locations have been fairly slow with 3G at half time, particularly Watford, so will see if there is an improvement

Last edited:
I'm just not sure with us how much difference it makes getting lots if shots off at half time.

Speed gets good at most grinds once the crowds have gone.

Having said that I do find sometimes with 3g not all photos go, and I need to resend, so if 4g works a treat them maybe worth it.

I went with it as my contract was up and i got a good deal for a new phone + the 4g mifi.
before i took the plunger i was a bit unsure but after speaking to one of AI's lads who had been using one for 5/6 months decided it was the way to go.

I'm just not sure with us how much difference it makes getting lots if shots off at half time.

Speed gets good at most grinds once the crowds have gone.

Having said that I do find sometimes with 3g not all photos go, and I need to resend, so if 4g works a treat them maybe worth it.

I'm up for a couple of games over the weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes and what I think (y)

I'd avoid Vodaphone like the plague. Terrible service accross the board with them.

Nothing as good as Gary's, but I get 15GB a month for £15.99 with Three with the Mifi Pebble thing or whatever you calll it.

I do like their service

Hi Nige,

Thanks for the write up on the 200-400, Its not something I would consider even with the excellent ISO handling that the 1DX offers.

I looked at the 4G Dongle and its something Ill consider later.. It will be interesting to see how it works at Reading like you say.

Ive done a load of cricket just lately and the 400 with the 1.4 has been amazing, Im very impressed with it.

Hi Nigel, am I right in thinking that the 4g dongle you have won't work on MacBooks ?

Never needed a back up but i suppose one of those 1GB PAYG jobbies might be OK

Failing that if youre with SKY then get registered on the "cloud" and always make a note of your nearest McDonalads LOL, for the price of a coffee it might get you out of a hole.

Been there done that. :LOL:

The 4G dongle from EE was excellent at both MK Dons and Watford. Will be going to Reading soon which is notoriously slow, so will see how it performs there

How was it at Reading?

I didn't noticer when you said there was a deal on until the end of Aug.

I have just gone and got the EE deal but it cost me £70 in Argos.

Got me an EE 4G dongle to add to my O2, 3 and Voda 3G dongles. The EE one was super at QPR which is usually hard work. Everywhere else I've been recently has good pitchside wifi now - damn them!

Reading has good pitchside wifi in lazy man's corner by the way.

I know it's an old thread and i'm new to this but can't you just tether your mobile to your laptop?

Back