Donington no longer photographer friendly.

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Since MSV have taken over there’s been more and more catch fencing going up, and I’m here now for the World Superbikes and it’s the first time for a while I’ve been since they’ve used the full GP circuit and they’ve made it even less photography friendly. There’s now catch fencing at the end of the Melbourne loop, god only knows what they expect to fly off there as you’re a country mile away from the track :rolleyes: And then all along the loop they’ve put another row of fencing meaning you can’t stand against the catch fence and are 6-8ft back away making it very difficult to ‘hide’ the fencing.

Fortunately for me at 6’4” I’ve found a section of catch fencing that’s slightly dropped so I can see over the top. It also looks like they’ve moved you further back on the inside of redgate. All in all it’s now pretty difficult to get good clear views :(

Blame Elfin Safety! ;)
Yep, I get why they feel they have to do it, but it’s a crying shame and like most things in life it’s all gone a bit OTT.

Yep, I get why they feel they have to do it, but it’s a crying shame and like most things in life it’s all gone a bit OTT.

Fences, bollards, cones ... and don't get me started about hi-viz vests!

I've become increasingly disenchanted with motorsport photography this year for a number of reasons, but what you've posted here Toby is certainly one of them. That said, I attend the Croft BTCC round this year purely as a spectator with my son, and absolutely loved it with the added bonus of not having hundreds of photos to sort through at the end :);)

Believe me its no different now media side at most tracks,most areas are now red zones for us all or you are only aloud to transit through them between sessions.

Daft thought, I know, but still...why can't there be designated areas, primarily for photographers, where you have to sign a disclaimer absolving the organisers (and anyone else) of all liability in the event of anything happening to you while in said area, and that you agree you are there at 100% your own risk?

Believe me its no different now media side at most tracks,most areas are now red zones for us all or you are only aloud to transit through them between sessions.
Mike Inkley was saying the same thing about Oulton Park last weekend. At least you're still trackside though and not getting those retched fences ruining your shots, the amount of mine that have still got the hint of criss cross pattern is infuriating, at that's at 800mm eq :eek:

I keep thinking of looking into how to get accredited so I can shoot trackside but it seems a bit daft for the 3 or 4 times/year I go.

The red zones at MSV tracks are a bit crazy now, especially at Oulton Park

Daft thought, I know, but still...why can't there be designated areas, primarily for photographers, where you have to sign a disclaimer absolving the organisers (and anyone else) of all liability in the event of anything happening to you while in said area, and that you agree you are there at 100% your own risk?

It is not possible to sign away your rights they exist no matter what.

IE if you are injured and have signed a document to say you will not claim in any circumstances it carries no weight in law you can still claim. If your alive.

This is why now no matter what you say (I have tried) the organisers of these dangerous events just say no you cannot stand there.

In America I am under the impression it is different. One only has to look at drag racing to see the crazy positions people (not just photographers) put themselves into. In front of a top fuel 300mph nitro burning car halfway down the track if it comes over the top of the wall(1mtr) your dead end of. :eek:

Idiots don't know they are. :thinking:

Yes, loads of new red zones at all MSV circuits this year, most of which I disagree with, as they are not notorious accident zones, or well protected by acres of run off, gravel and tyre wall and tecpro barriers.

Yes, loads of new red zones at all MSV circuits this year, most of which I disagree with, as they are not notorious accident zones, or well protected by acres of run off, gravel and tyre wall and tecpro barriers.

I was told it was MSV's insurers that forced their hand in making a lot of the new red zones. I agree some of them are daft. I don't understand why the outside of Redgate at Donington is a red zone, but the outside of Hollywood, where you're basically trapped between a concrete wall and the fence if anything major happens, is fine.

I was told last year (before the stickers went up on the back of the barriers) that it was fine to stand somewhere as long as there was a tyre barrier as well as armco, which makes no sense at all

Not just short circuits. Each year it get more and more restricted at the Irish road racing. many of my favourite spots are now out of bounds to media photographers.

Sad to read this, only ever been to Snetterton and Cadwell Park (both MSV, neither has any catch fencing at all), but next year my step-son is planning to move up from short ovals to circuit racing with the National Legends http://www.legendsracingeurope.com/ and they do Brands (x3), Donnington, Angelsey, Snetterton and Pembrey. Might be taking a trip up to Donnington on 10th August to see them.

There is catch fencing at both Snetterton and Cadwell, but not acres of the stuff. Donington has quite a lot but there are quite a few angles if you're prepared to work for it. Anglesey - good viewing areas and waist high fencing at the moment. Pembrey - not been for approx 30 years, but a trip is planned this summer.

Unfortunately due to the risk-averse ligitation-adept modern society, circuits have three options - 1) put up catch fencing to satisfy requirements laid down by the FIA and the circuit insurers, 2) extend run-off zones by moving the spectators back or closing down. Option 1 is usually the easiest option.

Last edited:
There is catch fencing at both Snetterton and Cadwell, but not acres of the stuff. Donington has quite a lot but there are quite a few angles if you're prepared to work for it. Anglesey - good viewing areas and waist high fencing at the moment. Pembrey - not been for approx 30 years, but a trip is planned this summer.

Unfortunately due to the risk-averse ligitation-adept modern society, circuits have three options - 1) put up catch fencing to satisfy requirements laid down by the FIA and the circuit insurers, 2) extend run-off zones by moving the spectators back or closing down. Option 1 is usually the easiest option.
Where would you suggest for Donington, the only places now are inside of Redgate, Hollywood, Craner Curves and Old Hairpin. There is the inside of Schwantz and McCleans but you're quite elevated above the track from here.

In addition to those you mention, theres also an area on the inside of Roberts. Fortunately (for me) I'm often on the other side of the fence, but I was working for Toyota UK at the BTCC meeting there, but didn't have trackside access as it wasn't necessary for my job - but still came away with some satisfactory track shots.

In addition to those you mention, theres also an area on the inside of Roberts. Fortunately (for me) I'm often on the other side of the fence, but I was working for Toyota UK at the BTCC meeting there, but didn't have trackside access as it wasn't necessary for my job - but still came away with some satisfactory track shots.
Roberts is 'ok' if they're using the national track, and of course there's the other side of the esses if they're using the GP circuit.

Mike Inkley was saying the same thing about Oulton Park last weekend. At least you're still trackside though and not getting those retched fences ruining your shots, the amount of mine that have still got the hint of criss cross pattern is infuriating, at that's at 800mm eq :eek:

I keep thinking of looking into how to get accredited so I can shoot trackside but it seems a bit daft for the 3 or 4 times/year I go.

Its possible to get media accredited for 3/4 times a year, some of the smaller publications will let you do this.

After a trip to Brands Hatch for the dtms then reading this. Well I can believe the media have it hard now too, can only recall seeing 2-3 photographers trackside, but a few DTM perm media vest spectator side. But pretty much every corner now has said catch fencing or was not allowed to acmes parts of it.

Back