Donington Park - Best spots

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Well now Donington is open again I'm contemplating a tip there next sunday to watch the truck racing.

In the past I've done most of my photography from the infield where there are fewer fences - but I understand this is currently closed. Has anyone been there in the past month and can advise on some good spots round the track to get some shots.

Thanks

After visiting Donington at the weekend. FORGET even attempting to take pictures on the inside of the circuit. Apart from a small area opposite the pits the infield was CLOSED to spectators for the BTCC meeting. :thumbsdown:

Well now Donington is open again I'm contemplating a tip there next sunday to watch the truck racing.

In the past I've done most of my photography from the infield where there are fewer fences - but I understand this is currently closed. Has anyone been there in the past month and can advise on some good spots round the track to get some shots.

Thanks

Was thinking exactly the samething, be interested to see if anyone has suggestions (y)

I decided not to go in the end.

The mixture of a grotty day coupled with the less than adequate facilities there would have made for a miserable afternoon!.

Hi, I've only just found this forum, so hope this advice isn't too late for anyone.

I was at Donington for the BTCC Touring Cars on 19 September. Like PDS said, the infield is all closed off except for an area on the Start / Finish straight, and there's fences in the way of getting too many good shots.

The best place I found was on the outside of Redgate, and down towards Hollywood and Craner Curves. Low barriers, or you can get up close and poke your lens through the gaps.

There's some pics here, taken with a 70-200 lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael_shillitoe/sets/72157624880538691/

I know this is one dragged up from the past - but does anyone know if the situation at Donington has improved much?

I'd like to think they might have done some work over the winter to spruce it up a bit...

Might be worth going to 10 Tenths ( http://www.ten-tenths.com/ ) and asking in the Marshal's forum on there. I know that the marshal training day took place a few weeks ago so they may have some idea as to it's current state.

I know this is one dragged up from the past - but does anyone know if the situation at Donington has improved much?

I'd like to think they might have done some work over the winter to spruce it up a bit...

Read today they are going to have more of the infield open in-time for the BTCC.

The amount of mess that was left means that it will take time, but they are getting there

Thanks for the info chaps

I think I'm just going to rock up there at the beginning of april with a few mates and see how it goes.

Thinking about it they need the spectators to bring in the money to do the place up... may as well do my bit!

Not sure what its like but will be there the week before wsb so can find out then, then i will be back down for wsb so hope it will be ok.(y)

Going to wsbk so an update would be great :)

Last edited:
Just been reading a article about WSB at Donnington in a copy of Bikesport news . It doesn't look promising, to Quote

1. The infiield will not be open in time for the WSB meeting (planned to be at later date)
2. The run off at Redgate is being extended.
3. Around the circuit the erection of Debris fencing is in hand.

Just been reading a article about WSB at Donnington in a copy of Bikesport news . It doesn't look promising, to Quote

1. The infiield will not be open in time for the WSB meeting (planned to be at later date)
2. The run off at Redgate is being extended.

It doesn't sound promising does it. I have a weekend ticket and I can see most of Friday being spent searching for the best spots!!!

Great :razz:

Why ???? I went to see the Moto GP there a few years ago, no catch fencing down the striaghts etc and you could get some great shots, everyone was happy and a great atmosphere as everyone was able to get a shot if / when they wanted, couldn't really see any safety issues ....

im going down to donington 2moro for the hscc race meeting which will give chance to check out spots on the out field which i wasnt able to do at testing due to only acess being paddock and grandstand. i spoke with donington yesterday the infield is still closed due to works in process still. anyone else going tomorrow?

Was hoping to pop up at some point, but it looks like I'll be looking after a poorly wife and child instead :(
Any chance you could get some shots of Redgate while you're there? Im curious to see what they've done to it.

Was hoping to pop up at some point, but it looks like I'll be looking after a poorly wife and child instead :(
Any chance you could get some shots of Redgate while you're there? Im curious to see what they've done to it.

will do be my first race meeting at donington so i will be checking it all over for best shots, hope ya wifey and kidda get better soon

Try these:
Outside of redgate looking down the start/finish straight. Need to shhot through the fence, but you used to be able to get right up to it.

Outside of Hollywood. If you go up on the banking you can shoot over the fence for panning shots. Otherwise you can get right up to the fence and shoot down the Cramer curves.

Bottom of Craner, before the old hairpin. You need to shoot through the fence but you can catch some nice glowing brake disks.

Outside of the old hairpin, you can get up on the bank and shoot over the fence. Catches the cars through the bend, and panning shots on their way up to starkeys bridge.

All these are doable with 300mm, although longer would be better.

If you check my Flickr, there's plenty of examples.

HTH,
Jim

im going down to donington 2moro for the hscc race meeting which will give chance to check out spots on the out field which i wasnt able to do at testing due to only acess being paddock and grandstand. i spoke with donington yesterday the infield is still closed due to works in process still. anyone else going tomorrow?

I'll pop down tomorrow, not been for a while, should be a good days racing. There's a lot of entry's in the races.

Few Pics of redgate

Redgate Inside Donington by Nivvy2010, on Flickr

View from Redgate Inside Donington by Nivvy2010, on Flickr

Outside of Redgate under construction by Nivvy2010, on Flickr

The inside was open but alot of it is still under construction and there wasnt much acess to the outfield.

Blimey, quite a change then. Nice to see they've opened up the inside a bit more, and no catch fencing (y)
Thanks for taking the time to post these :D

Looks good for friday then. Any idea if you can now stand on the inside of the foggy esses where the train used to be ?

Looks good for friday then. Any idea if you can now stand on the inside of the foggy esses where the train used to be ?

foggy esses is still fenced up the land down the side of it is waste land no other way of calling it there is still a mound there, the corner of the chicane has fence missing so can get a good view there the marshals did look concerned when *** walked right up the knee high tyre barrier so who knows if fencing will be put in place before the weekend.

I was thinking of going to the Superbikes on Sunday but £55 entry £20 paddock pass £20 pit lane pass + £40 petrol has put me off

Last edited:
glad that you can still get on the inside of redgate, thats my favourite spot especailly for WSBs as they usually have a big screen there and it doesnt get too busy. Nice in a way to actually see what is been re done and fingers crossed it gets sorted soon and they dont ruin it with more fencing, be great if the fencing was like how most of Outlon park is

glad that you can still get on the inside of redgate, thats my favourite spot especailly for WSBs as they usually have a big screen there and it doesnt get too busy. Nice in a way to actually see what is been re done and fingers crossed it gets sorted soon and they dont ruin it with more fencing, be great if the fencing was like how most of Outlon park is

Snap agree with that im thinking of going the BTCC but will deffo be at Oulton Park so much more freedom there.

Sorry but Donnington is the worse UK track for photographers unless you have a fast long tom:(

Silverstone comes a close second:thumbsdown:

Oulton, Cadwell and Mallory are better and some sections of Brands(y)

Sorry but Donnington is the worse UK track for photographers unless you have a fast long tom:(

Silverstone comes a close second:thumbsdown:

Oulton, Cadwell and Mallory are better and some sections of Brands(y)

And the purpose of this thread is to find the best spots. We already know it is a bit pants but when it is our local track then you have to make the best of what you got :)

Few Pics of redgate

The inside was open but alot of it is still under construction and there wasnt much acess to the outfield.

Thanks for taking the time to do this - might pop down next weekend if the weather is OK

And the purpose of this thread is to find the best spots. We already know it is a bit pants but when it is our local track then you have to make the best of what you got :)

Tongue in cheek - thought I'd done that;)

I always preferred the outside at Redgate as the clearest view - you need a reasonably long lens though for bikes. If you can get close to the start of the main straight could be useful - long time since I went there.... due mainly to the point you made above.

Mallory ain't a million miles from you surely?

Outside of redgate looking down the start/finish straight. Need to shhot through the fence, but you used to be able to get right up to it.

Outside of Hollywood. If you go up on the banking you can shoot over the fence for panning shots. Otherwise you can get right up to the fence and shoot down the Cramer curves.

Bottom of Craner, before the old hairpin. You need to shoot through the fence but you can catch some nice glowing brake disks.

Outside of the old hairpin, you can get up on the bank and shoot over the fence. Catches the cars through the bend, and panning shots on their way up to starkeys bridge.

Those are the exact locations I have used. On the outisde of Hollywood there is a shot where you can get right up against the fence.

I'm not good enough to pan down the craner curves, far to fast down there.

Outside of old hairpin really needs 400mm IMO.

The worse place to take pins, usally ove cast there too. :(

There is no catch fencing by the new Foggy's esses but I found it to be somewhat a limited view while I was there yesterday.The inside of Redgate is OK, no fencing but you would want at least 400mm to get good full frame shots.My favourite spot is about 1/3 of the way down Craners looking back up to Hollywood.If you want sharp full frame shots then its time for a 500/600mm or a 70-200 + a 2x converter & preferably a cropped sensor body.

My favourite spot is about 1/3 of the way down Craners looking back up to Hollywood.If you want sharp full frame shots then its time for a 500/600mm or a 70-200 + a 2x converter & preferably a cropped sensor body.

Any example shots from there?

Any example shots from there?

This is what I mean

WSB2011donny7d_080_edited.jpg

WSB2011donny7d_103_edited.jpg

Looking back as the bikes come thrugh Hollywood

This is the view of Redgate now, they have moved the spectators further back, so you can't get a good shot through the fence of the start/finish straight now.

5592991987_cee458a66b_z.jpg

5592991995_998c281d7c_z.jpg

Back