TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
1120-113739%20%28Small%29.jpg

1120-124737%20%28Small%29.jpg

1120-142907%20%28Small%29.jpg

All with the 20D and 100-400L, the exif info should still be on each picture ! ;)

So the 100-400 is the weapon of choice or neccessity?

In other words is it dodgy if you get too close?

If I only had one choice of lens, that would be the one.

These little things are born with a full set of razor sharp teeth.
If they manage to get their teeth to touch you, you will bleed profusely and probably be in a lot of pain.

RobertP said:
So the 100-400 is the weapon of choice or neccessity?

In other words is it dodgy if you get too close?

I am only going to be taking the 100-400 this time, some memory cards etc and leave the rest of the stuff at home, its a trek across the muddy beach and you dont use much as it is !

IanC/Matt,
A few more little questions that you can hopefully comment on based on your experience last week to help us in planning what to bring.
  • Walking boots or wellies?
  • Tripod or bean bag (or both) based on using 400mm f5.6 (+TC as reqd)
  • Flash or not (suppose will be weather dependant but any comments)
  • Approx how many shots did you take last time around and over what time period?
Thanks
Mark

if walking boots keep ya feet dry, take them, if not wellies

tripod or beanbag most people used tripod, but getting down and dirty on the sand is a little awkward and as the 100-400 has IS i handheld most of the day

Matt used flash to kill some shadows in some of his, depends on weather ion day i guess

I took 240 last time, could have taken loads more though

take a plastic bag big enough to wrap the camera and lens in, clear if poss, this is just in case its windy and the sand and spray are getting whipped about

I had walking boots on, which are water proof up to the ankles, go any further into the water and I get wet feet.:whistling
A pair of decent wellies would come in handy if you want to get into the surf for the adults.

I took a tripod for the 800, you wont need one for anything upto 400mm as you'll be lying down on the floor.:D
Keep it in the car just in case the light isn't so hot.

Flash? Yes. With the low sun at this time of year you get harsh shadows, so the flash can help to reduce this.

I only took about 150 shots, but will probably get more this time round.

Add a hat to the list, if you keep your head and back warm, the rest of your body will be.:thumb:

I'll be taking the 100-400 and a macro lens plus flash.

I'm travelling light this time.

I'll be bringing the Accuracy International with the Schmitt und Bender scope and a full load of match grade 7.62mm...

Oooops. Wrong Forum...

Arkady said:
I'll be bringing the Accuracy International with the Schmitt und Bender scope and a full load of match grade 7.62mm...

Oooops. Wrong Forum...

Damn, does this mean I gotta dance? :D

Arkady said:

Oooops. Wrong Forum...

Is that to pick off the numpties that get in the way of your shot? :D

I thought it was a seal cull we were going on...

i really like the last one Ian, well posed!

Gonna be sick and tired of bliimin seal shots by the weekend. We'll all end up in the pub instead...

BTW, Mrs Mad will be coming along to annoy me, so if anyone else's other halves is tempted, it won't all be blokes and f-nos.

Back