donna nook

Name
andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
hi
quick question got a couple days off next week, was wondering if its too early for the seals at donna nook (got a feeling it is )
when is best time , give it a few more weeks or a month ??

andy

I was thinking of Horsey, Norfolk as it's easier for me. So, I looked it all up.... seems Jan/Feb is best for pups. I imagine Donna Nook is similar.

hi
quick question got a couple days off next week, was wondering if its too early for the seals at donna nook (got a feeling it is )
when is best time , give it a few more weeks or a month ??

andy
Weekly updates here

First pup born last week

Last edited:
Usually all seals gone by Jan at Donna nook prime time is mid November through early December I think but as above keep eye on wardens posts they do daily updates at some point and weekly updates from now

Usually all seals gone by Jan at Donna nook prime time is mid November through early December I think but as above keep eye on wardens posts they do daily updates at some point and weekly updates from now
Seems I got that wrong then :oops: :$

1st or 2nd week in Nov is good if you want seals and not too many people. Leave it to the end of Nov and most of the beach will be full of seals.This unfortunately draws the crowds. And don’t forget during the week the RAF and USAF still use the area as a bombing range so stay off the beaches.

Last edited:
Seems I got that wrong then :oops: :$

I stayed near Horsey in late November a few years ago, seals were just starting to give birth, loads were born
when I was there, lovely place to watch them, far better the Donna Nook

I was thinking of Horsey, Norfolk as it's easier for me. So, I looked it all up.... seems Jan/Feb is best for pups. I imagine Donna Nook is similar.
They will be gone by January at Horsey too. Pupping season is roughly end of October to January. The beach at Horsey is roped off now until about the first week or two in January. For info on what’s going on at Horsey ‘friends of horsey seals’ is the best place to go.

1st or 2nd week in Nov is good if you want seals and not too many people. Leave it to the end of Nov and most of the beach will be full of seals.This unfortunately draws the crowds. And don’t forget during the week the RAF and USAF still use the area as a bombing range so stay off the beaches.

John, I've not caught up please forgive this is gonna sound dumb.:rolleyes:....................where are the seals breeding relative to the bombing range. ??

Think as you move round the coast the season changes as here in south west it’s totally different time

Ad's when do they breed down south. ??

cheers both

stu

I went on Tuesday, cold, wet, miserable, and a handful of seals

John, I've not caught up please forgive this is gonna sound dumb.:rolleyes:....................where are the seals breeding relative to the bombing range. ??

Ad's when do they breed down south. ??

cheers both

stu

I think the difference could be common and grey have different times I am not that clued up on it but know pups can be seen down in South West late summer but no real numbers like Donna nook which is amazing to see

Here is link with some details https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w...icles/features/seal-pups-winter-beach-babies/

extract from there:
The pupping season for grey seals starts as early as August in Cornwall, then September-October in Wales and November-December in Scotland and down the East coast of England
Read more at https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w...pups-winter-beach-babies/#6qGyMMpFXfr5ECMG.99

managed to get yesterday wasn't to bad nice pleasant day , quite a few seals about hopefully got some decent pics , going to try again in a couple of weeks when it gets a bit busier , was worth it though ,

andy

I think the difference could be common and grey have different times I am not that clued up on it but know pups can be seen down in South West late summer but no real numbers like Donna nook which is amazing to see

Here is link with some details https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w...icles/features/seal-pups-winter-beach-babies/

extract from there:
The pupping season for grey seals starts as early as August in Cornwall, then September-October in Wales and November-December in Scotland and down the East coast of England
Read more at https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w...pups-winter-beach-babies/#6qGyMMpFXfr5ECMG.99

Buddy thank you!! My humble apologies Adam, slow as always,:banghead:, cheers for the links more reading............... I learn alot here;)

I knew you would say that Adam, manners seem a little lost in today's society,guess i'm just old and fashioned.:D The links are useful and even though I've only have a brief shuffty I've already learnt a bit

Here ya go a little story::) by way of aTa

My only claim to fame with a seal was long long ago. We were swimming back from a lobster pot drop (kids huh don't ask),;):whistle: I'd been caught out so it was now dark. I reached the beach and my darling was chugging along behind with a massive inner tube we used to float the pot out on.. You can imagine my thought process when she started calling to me,i've got a seal right here help:eek:. I couldn't see a damn thing ran all manly like to the waters edge and then thought what can I do I can 't see it's black as pitch. It was surreal Adam ,really eerie the sea had that phosphorescence thing as one broke the surface, neon lights. Ha I've never felt so powerless in my life I could hear but I'd have probably swam straight past her./.them, Even then, still powerless the seal would have run rings round us if it wanted to

Seal was just taking care of her,swam off when she reached the beach,bless. So cool Ad's, a little kiddy got blown out on a lilo days earlier,and a seal popped up. and stayed with the little lad right back to shore. I've heard the dolphin stories,but it seems our seals have that similar curiosity....... or what ever it is. Remarkable............. two incidents so close together same beach,it had to be the same seal.

.Gives me goose bumps thinking about it I'd love to spend some time with them somewhere deserted,

seeya

Back