weekly Don's 52 for 2022 - Catchup

I think that you made the right choice Donal, It's a strong image to my eye. What is the connector on top of? I can make out some writing but can't tell if it's a reflection of something else.

It's an anti-static bag. A plastic(ish) bag that sensetive electronic components are stored in. I used it because the worksurface is all scratched and horrible. The writing is on the other side of the bag.

3 is your best one Donal.
it’s a very good shot and nicely converted to mono.

Thanks Peter. This was a completely new technique to me - and I will definitely use it again.

No3 is a belter :)

Thanks Dave.

I've really struggled this week.
Yesterday, I met a friend at the pub, and asked him for ideas. He looked at his glass and said that the golden, sparkling contents were like treasure to him. So we photographed it.
P6070226-1k5.jpg

Just to show that I haven't given up the search for treasure, here you can see that plans are well under way!

P6080323-1k5.jpg

The first one is the better photograph, I think - even if it is a bit of a shoehorn.

First one for me too Donal. As you say, the golden colour helps with the theme.
I like the reflections too.

Liquid gold! Good capture Donal.

Are the waters off Guernsey a hotspot of sunken treasure ships?

I wouldn't call it a shoehorn. It's a lovely shot - the reflections really make a great image.

First one for me too Donal. As you say, the golden colour helps with the theme.
I like the reflections too.

The reflections looked even better at the time. I shall have to return and see if I cam improve the shot! What a difficult life!!!

Liquid gold! Good capture Donal.

Are the waters off Guernsey a hotspot of sunken treasure ships?

Lots of rocks and 10knot tides mean that the waters there are littered with shipwrecks. Some of them must have real treasure.

I wouldn't call it a shoehorn. It's a lovely shot - the reflections really make a great image.

Thank you!

I like them both but I'll go for No2. It's different and conjures up a story.

They're both very nice though and well taken. Well done! :D

Amber nectar - very nicely captured. The water it is sitting in makes the image even more interesting, especially as you can read the writing.

I like the layout of the chart picture with the dividers and the Portland Plotter pointing inwards. it does tell a story.

I like them both but I'll go for No2. It's different and conjures up a story.

They're both very nice though and well taken. Well done! :D

Amber nectar - very nicely captured. The water it is sitting in makes the image even more interesting, especially as you can read the writing.

I like the layout of the chart picture with the dividers and the Portland Plotter pointing inwards. it does tell a story.
Thank you both.
I'm pleased to see that the "story" was clear.

This weekend I found some buildings that had been solidly built.

The keep at Farnham Castle was built during th 12th and 13th centuries.
P6121134-1k5.jpg

Down the road, the Cistercian Monks were building themselves a very solid Monastery. Some of it still stands despite Henry VIII's best efforts.

P6121351-1k5.jpg

This chap looked like he had fixed me with a solid gaze - until I looked a bit closer! I've no idea what the story is behind the missing pupils, but there are anothe 6 or 7 heads like this in the museum at Farnham Castle.

P6120981-1k5.jpg

As usual, I have no idea which to choose. The third one appeals o me the most, but I am struggling to fit it to the theme.
The first one is actually the first time that I have taken a photo at this perspective, and it hasn't come out too bad, so I am going to choose that one.

As usual, I have no idea which to choose. The third one appeals o me the most, but I am struggling to fit it to the theme.
The first one is actually the first time that I have taken a photo at this perspective, and it hasn't come out too bad, so I am going to choose that one.

Well his hair looks pretty solid :D

Three interesting shots. I'm with you on #3 as I like the composition and the shadows cast. Given it's a stone carving I believe it can be labelled as "solid".

They are all good. no.2 would have been my choice, solid with a nice view.

Yay!!!! I'm early this week!

First up, a Photo of a Playful Puppy taken in the Park at an open air Pop concert during a Picnic.

P6193133-1k4.jpg

2)
The next photo is the bees knees with some Pollen.
P61930361k5.jpg

Finally this evening a blackbird Pecked up a Pupa
P6203698-1k5.jpg

I'm very happy with all of them for different reasons, but I am going with the pollen - number 2.

What? Bypass a dog picture???? How??

Only kidding :D I like them all :D But the dog one is my favourite :D

The world can not have too many dog pictures :D

Three nice pix. Blackie gets my vote.

Bee is the one and I'm please you chose it.
Good close up of pollen in it's pollen basket.

The bee on a purple flower for me.
The doggy one is a bit messy in the background, 1/10 of a sec earlier or later would have nailed it.

Pete

Great set Donal, I particularly like your Pick a Peck of Pupa and your Pollen Packer shots.

Thank you all for the comments.

@seaodyssey , I agree. The photo had interesting components, but they wern't laid out correctly.

Well. here I am at midnight om Wednesday again! That's always a clear sign that I struggled. I really wanted to get some landscapes, street scenes, architectural shots, or indeed anything that was more artistic than technical. On Saturday I tried some shots at a local lake, but they really are just nothing. Still, they are improving - and I will get there.

So, more insects...

1. This is my first dragonfly (or damselfly??) in flight!
P6254916-1k5.jpg

2. We went to another open air concert on Sunday. The plan was to get some good photos of people in the park, or some good shots of the band. Untunately, we hadn't checked the programme and didn't realise that it was a grand festival this week. Instead of the usual 200 people, there were over 1000, and loads of stalls and funfair type stuff. It sounds ideal, but most of the photos just turned out messy. I took a photo of this dragonfly by the small river that runs through the park while the music was playing behind me.

P6265438-1k5.jpg

This is a shot of some of the band in action.
P6265694-1k5.jpg

Is this an earwig on my lavender?
P6234348-1k5.jpg

5. Some sort of bee.
P6254590-1k5.jpg

6. Same bee.
P6254554-1k5.jpg

I'm going to go with number 3, mainly because I want to do more than "wildlife", or technical photography.

A good set Donal, and regardless of what you want :D, I think the last shot really does if for me. Tack sharp with great detail in the wings, well done.

Great P shot... wonderfully detailed.
I see why you chose the Snappers choice... but personally I'm still with the bees... cracking shots :)

It’s a great set but I agree the last one is a cracker. I think it’s a hoverfly.
The second pic is a Demoiselle (type of Damselfly). I think it’s amazing to get a dragonfly (yes dragonfly) in flight - much better than any of my attempts.

Just thinking that last one would have fitted this week with half a flower!

It’s a great set but I agree the last one is a cracker. I think it’s a hoverfly.
The second pic is a Demoiselle (type of Damselfly). I think it’s amazing to get a dragonfly (yes dragonfly) in flight - much better than any of my attempts.

Just thinking that last one would have fitted this week with half a flower!

Thanks. I was wondering about the Demoiselle. I had only seen the bright blue ones and the common reddish one before. I've had far too much to learn about birds and various insects over the last year, so for the moment, I'm not trying to identify everything.

The first one above was a success for the autofocus on the EM1 Miii / 100-400. I was really quite surprised - and very pleased - that it worked.

Hope you are recovering well!

A good set Donal, and regardless of what you want :D, I think the last shot really does if for me. Tack sharp with great detail in the wings, well done.

Good set. The last one for me as well. The detail is superb.

Great P shot... wonderfully detailed.
I see why you chose the Snappers choice... but personally I'm still with the bees... cracking shots :)

Good set Donal, but another vote for the bees here (y)

Yes, I like them all but I think I'd pick the bee.

Thanks everybody. I know that the bee was a "better" shot, but I have to force myself to take something different. I tried some landscape shots at the Devil's Punchbowl today, but they really are quite poor. Another concert tomorrow - so I'll try to take some that feature half a stage - or something.

Late for week 26!!!!
It has been a hectic few weeks, and it is going to continue for a month or two.

1) One Half in the water.
P7056738-1k5.jpg

2) One half of a dandelion

P7026011-1k5.jpg

3) Lake with One Half on this side of the fence!

P7056931-1k5.jpg

4) This was taken at Cameraworlds Brands Hatch day on Thursday. It isn't cropped - I've learned that I don't need a huge zoom for motor sports.
P7070383-1k5.jpg

I'm going with the Lake.

I like the car shot, but it was taken on Thursday. In an effort to maintain some sort of self dicipline, I cannot choose it as it wasn't taken during the challenge week.

Last edited:
Great set Donal. The "half in the water" made me laugh. I would have trouble deciding which to post, they're all really good.

Great set Donal. The "half in the water" made me laugh. I would have trouble deciding which to post, they're all really good.

Nice set Donal - I too like the "one half in the water".

Thanks! It was taken at my photography "practice" location. I've got to know a few of the people who regularily go there - including two of the people in the photo.

A Post
I'm not going to be late again this week!

I've screwed up a bit this week. I was too busy to read the instructions properly and thought that the theme was "dappled light". I spent three hours by the canal on Saturday afternoon taking photos of "dappled light". As it happens, it was a fantastic learning experience even if not a single shot featured a visible "Post".

1) This is a lamp post in Gostrey Meadow, Farnham.

P7102324-1k5.jpg

2) I think that "A Posts" are found in cars. I'm hoping that one of the posts that are visible on this car is an "A Post".

P7077482-1k5.jpg

3) I spotted this chap taking a photo of a Post, but I think that my post above is nicer :).

P7102270-1k5.jpg

I'm going with 1) because it was a real effort to actually photograph a "Post", and I am also pleased that I manahged to contain the bright Sun.

#1 is a great shot. It looks like the clouds are streaming off of the post and the cables.

I agree with Bill - nicely composed. I wonder if you could have lifted the shadows a bit off the post, but it still works.

Back