weekly Don's 52 for 2022 - Catchup

That car shot is great. Your chosen shot probably fits the theme better. Well contained sun - not easy! And the bunting adds interest.

#1 is a great shot. It looks like the clouds are streaming off of the post and the cables.

Thanks Bill .

I agree with Bill - nicely composed. I wonder if you could have lifted the shadows a bit off the post, but it still works.

I don't usually have much success with lifting the shadows so I didn't even try with this photo. I'm 95% sure that it is too "black" to reveal anything.

That car shot is great. Your chosen shot probably fits the theme better. Well contained sun - not easy! And the bunting adds interest.

Thanks. I took several shots with different amounts of the Sun visible. Fortunately, they came out more or less as they appeared in the viewfinder.

Tidying up the disk I found a couple that would be really on topic for this week. The only problem is that they are from a holiday in 2012. These are the magnificent fountains at La Granja, near Segovia in Spain. They were built to upstage the French.

LaGranja1.jpg

Second one features water AND dappled light!

LaGranja2.jpg

I'd love to go back with my new camera.

Your post shot is really well composed. Works for me.
#1 fountain is incredible!

Well..
Sorry about my absence.
I've had my first holiday in three years!
Two weeks in Spain, about 10 miles North of Benidorm.
I had planned to use my mobile phone to prepare some shots for this thread, but the Olympus App updated itself and the new version won't open Olympus images!!!!

Anyway, I am now sorting through my holiday "snaps", and here are a few that feature Water:-
1)Couple
CoupleP7182916-1k5.jpg

2) Jet Ski
JetSk1P7193642-1k5b.jpg

3) Seagull

SeagullP7193777-1k5.jpg

I think that the Jet Ski is most on topic, so I will go with that one.

I also managed to get some "Handle" shots while I was away and I shall sort those out in the next day or so.

You picked the best for the theme, great action captured in the water.

Pete

I like all three Donal. but I think you're right, #2 would have been my choice as well.

You picked the best for the theme, great action captured in the water.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Loads of jet skis to practice on. Learned lots about light at different times of day. The harsh light during the day was quite incredible. I'd never been really aware of this before.

I like all three Donal. but I think you're right, #2 would have been my choice as well.
Thanks Bill.

The top image has become much softer somewhere between the camera and this site. It is of course possible that it happened when I scaled it down before uploading - needs investigating!!!

Still catching up. These photos were all taken two weeks ago in Altea. I wasn't able to process them at the time, and I am now wading through 5,500 photos trying to sort them all out.
Any wayhere are some of the Handles that I tried.
1) Doorhandle. I've no idea why, but I quite like this. I've gone for a "letterbox" crop.

HandleLetterboxP7225147-1k5.jpg

2) Where are the "Fork Handles" when you need them? I tried the "Monotone" setting in the camera for the first time with this, and it hasn't done a bad job at all.

HandlesP7225310-1k5.jpg

3) I think that this is my favourite. I was sitting by the seafront when this girl cycled by. The front basket was filled with flowers, and it looked very unusual. This is a crop ( are crops allowed?)
BikeHandlesP7266645b-1k5.jpg

4) This one is completely out of character for me, and it represents a big step in developing my observation skills. I noted this watering can with a "Handle" while walking and just photographed it.

WaingCanP7246093-1k5.jpg

I'm going with 3, although I am very unsure. My wife likes it the most, but I really cannot say which one I prefer.

All decent contenders and on theme.

Not had any of my crops rejected!!!

I do like the watering can shot, good colours and positioning.

For me, not a fan of the white background to the bicycle, feels like there’s a good shot to be had somewhere in there but doesn’t work for me as it is, but just my opinion.

A good set Donal. All crops accepted!

First time that I've heard the use of a "letterbox" crop. I usually think of 16X9 or 16X10 crops as cinematic crops.

All decent contenders and on theme.

Not had any of my crops rejected!!!
I've no idea where the thought came from!! The crop is more extreme than I usually manage.

A good set Donal. All crops accepted!

First time that I've heard the use of a "letterbox" crop. I usually think of 16X9 or 16X10 crops as cinematic crops.

It was late and I couldn't think of a better way to describe it. The shape of the handle reminded me of a letterbox!

For me, not a fan of the white background to the bicycle, feels like there’s a good shot to be had somewhere in there but doesn’t work for me as it is, but just my opinion.

Good comment. I agree that there should be a good shot in there somewhere - and I was very pleased when I saw it on the camera LCD. However, it didn't come out quite so well on the computer screen. The white background may well be the reason that I was unsure about my choice!!!

I'll have another look at the original to see what I make of it.

Last edited:
All good handles, the white background sticks out and not in a good way. Nice colours in the watering can and the bike shot.

Good reference to a letterbox on a door.

Pete

I've had a look at the originals. I have 5 shots taken as she cycled by. 4 of them have a huge chunk of blown out sky, and the fifth has an incredibly messy background!

I need to concentrare more on composition when I am taking photos.

Still playing Catch Up...

I returned from a 2 week holiday nearly 2 weeks ago. I should have caught up with myself by now, but a new keyboard/music workstation arrived 2 days after I got back, and it is distracting me somewhat.
Week 30 - Dusty. These photos were taken two weeks ago. I did try some experiments kicking up dust, but to no avail.

1) Umbrellas.
DustyP7182871-1k5.jpg

2) The Artist by the Dusty Path.

DustyP7193417-1k5.jpg

Number 1 is my choice because I like the image more.

Last edited:
Week 31 Food

First up is a plate after the desert had been eaten. It looked much more colourful in the restaurant, and I thought that it would make an interesting photo.

1)
FoodP7225274-1k5.jpg

2) Veggies

FoodP8108125-1k5.jpg

Number 2 is my choice. It is simply a cleaner image, and is also quite unlike anything that I have tried before.

Nice shots Donal.
Dusty: I like the composition, not sure that I get a sense that it was dusty though
Food: Nice and clean if not very filling...hope this wasn't an all-you-can-eat buffet...

Nice shots Donal.
Dusty: I like the composition, not sure that I get a sense that it was dusty though
Food: Nice and clean if not very filling...hope this wasn't an all-you-can-eat buffet...

You are right about the Dusty shot. It was an incredibly dry place, but it was very difficult to convey a sense of dustiness. (I tried kicking up the dust, but that didn't produce any results).

The food shot was of some vegetables that my wife had mistakenly put on my dinner plate. I thought that I would put them to good use and photograph them.

She has been putting broccoili on my plate,, at least once a week for over 40 years.

At last I have caught up with myself.
I made trip to Brookwood museum on Sunday where an Aston Martin Heritage event was on.

1) An old Internal combustion engine
InternalP8148340-1k5.jpg

2) A modern Internal combustion engine
InternalP8148360-1k5.jpg

3) The internals of a Vickers Wellington wing showing a fuel tank.

InternalP8148526-1k5.jpg

4) The Internals of an (in)complete car.
InternalP8148762-1k5.jpg

I'll go with number 4.

Great set Donal, my preference is for #2 (for the abstract nature of the image) or #3 (with the contrasting wing frame and the lines of the ceiling).

Great shots Donal. I like your chosen shot, but like Bill, I think the second one pips it for me.

Great set Donal, my preference is for #2 (for the abstract nature of the image) or #3 (with the contrasting wing frame and the lines of the ceiling).

I hadn't spotted the ceiling! I'm going to have another look at my shots from that day and see if a better crop is possible.

Good set.
No.2 is excellent.

Thank you. No. 2 was my favourite, but after consultation at home decided to choose No.1. I have to admit that I was unsure if my love of those engines had coloured my judgement.

Great shots Donal. I like your chosen shot, but like Bill, I think the second one pips it for me.

Thanks. I'm not at all unhappy that No. 2 is peoples' favourite.

I really struggled with what sounded like a very simple theme. I have no idea why! The world is full of squares, but I just couldn't find any that looked like they would make a decent photo.
So....
1)
P8309998-1k.jpg

2) This is another shot of the same post.
P8300001-1k.jpg

This is a complete failure. I thought that holding the camera at 45 degrees would show the squares nicely, but it just doesn't work. I've played around with cropping, but haven't been able to do anything. The post above is just visible in this!
P8300003-1k.jpg

I'm going with No.2

Last edited:
Good images Donal, I like the closeup of the post the best with the shot of it further away just to add context.

Small.

I was much happier with this theme. I put an extension tube behind my 40-150mm, and went into the garden. A sudden movement on the lavender caught my eye, and I found this little fella. I assume that it is a cricket??? I've never seen one before.

1)
P8279148-Cr.jpg

2) More cricket
P8279133-1k5.jpg

3)
I've no idea what this is. It was quite tiny, about half the length of a wasp. The flowers are Mint.

P8279211-1k.jpg

4) A fly landed on the newspaper. I like this shot, so this will be my chosen one.

P8279219-1k.jpg

You’ve chosen the right image for the square Donal.
Fly shot is very clean and very good.

Week 35 - Snapper's Choice

1)
I was hoping that this miht be a contender for the Shadow Tech, but on reflection, the only clear shadow is from the broken oar - and it isn't really prominent enough. I like the photo though.

WkP9030412-1k.jpg

2) I loved the reactions from the geese as the heron came in to land. They looked like they were in a blind panic for a few seconds - with much screeching, hissing, and flapping of wings. As soon as the heron landed, they calmed down and carried on as if nothing had happened.

WkP9030698-1k.jpg

No 3)
This has to be my choice. Last week, I had never even heard of a black swan (apart from the pub).

WkP9041166-1k.jpg

Wasn't there a movie about a black swan? I like the swan but I think I like the first shot better. More of a mood there.

Nice set Donal. All have there merits, but I'm with Bill, the first shot is my favourite.
We have a couple of places in and around Cardiff where there are black swans, but they're certainly unusual. You've caught this one in a good pose.

Small. Some cracking macro shots. Definitely the fly for me though - fabulous detail.
Snappers Choice. I agree on the first shot... an interesting capture.

Wasn't there a movie about a black swan? I like the swan but I think I like the first shot better. More of a mood there.

Nice set Donal. All have there merits, but I'm with Bill, the first shot is my favourite.
We have a couple of places in and around Cardiff where there are black swans, but they're certainly unusual. You've caught this one in a good pose.

Small. Some cracking macro shots. Definitely the fly for me though - fabulous detail.
Snappers Choice. I agree on the first shot... an interesting capture.

Thanks for the comments. I have to say that I agree with all of them. I need to be a bit more objective when I look at my own photos.

I spent three days trying to get a shot of the swan, whereas the boat shot was taken in passing.

I must say that this 52 week Challenge is turning out to be a remarkable learning experience.

First shot is really nice Donal, as is the black swan (which is a long way from home according to Google).

Pete

We had two black swans locally for a while, then one, and now there are none, so I don't know where they've gone. They are rather beautiful.

I like the 1st shot - a serene scene, and the geese make me smile - I think they may be telling that heron where to go :)

Edit: Small (still catching up on comments and working backwards!) - Lots of lovely critter pics. I love the contrasting colours in your chosen shot. Much as I hate bluebottles, they are quite handsome as flies go.

Last edited:
We had two black swans locally for a while, then one, and now there are none, so I don't know where they've gone. They are rather beautiful.

I like the 1st shot - a serene scene, and the geese make me smile - I think they may be telling that heron where to go :)

Edit: Small (still catching up on comments and working backwards!) - Lots of lovely critter pics. I love the contrasting colours in your chosen shot. Much as I hate bluebottles, they are quite handsome as flies go.

The geese were very funny. They went absolutely ballistic for a few seconds. I was expecting a scuffle when the heron landed, but total calm descended immediately.

I must admit that I thought that black swans were incredibly rare. It looks like they are not quite as rare as I thought.

Hope you are recovering well.

Back