weekly Don's 52 for 2023 Catch up

Fun shot Donal, I like the explanation that you provided for Adam above.
Thanks Bill. I really, really struggled with masks when I first came accross them. I've no idea if it was just me, but I couldn't get my head around them.

The goslings are just a small part of a little project. Thera are two families of geese, one family of Egyptian Geese, one family of Great Crested Grebes (2 chicks, being taken out on mom's back at moment - haven't been in water yet), 2 pairs of coots nesting, and a pair of ducks.
I'm hoping to have a nice video in about 4 or 5 weeks.

Thanks Bill. I really, really struggled with masks when I first came accross them. I've no idea if it was just me, but I couldn't get my head around them.

The goslings are just a small part of a little project. Thera are two families of geese, one family of Egyptian Geese, one family of Great Crested Grebes (2 chicks, being taken out on mom's back at moment - haven't been in water yet), 2 pairs of coots nesting, and a pair of ducks.
I'm hoping to have a nice video in about 4 or 5 weeks.
I look forward to seeing it Donal.

Distance, nice shot with a very distant view.
Fragile. Excellent for the theme and very clever and imaginative, love it.

Oh dear! Apologies for my absence. I really fell behind when I went on summer holidays, and just haven't managed to get back into photography properl since returning at the end of July. Normally, if I fall behind, I like to catch up by posting in the correct order. That just isn't working, so I'm just going to post random entries, if that's OK. If I manage to catch up, then I'll put a list of links in the opening post of this thread.

Yesterday, we paid a visit to Ropley station on the Watercress Line. I don't usually do monochrome, but I think that it works here.
There are 2 hollow tubes on top of this steam engine, so this qualifies - I think!

P9166116-1k.jpg

Nice choo choo - what is it?

Suits the processing - i’d just get rid if those cars top right.

Nice choo choo - what is it?

Suits the processing - i’d just get rid if those cars top right.

It had the name "Goliath" on the side.
This is it:-
https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/5239-2/

I was hoping that nobody would notice the cars. When I cropped the top of the image, it didn't look right with the tracks going off the top of the page. I suppose that I could have used Affinity to get rid of the cars, but I always feel that is a bit like cheating. At least I was aware of them as I took the photo, which I wouldn't have been a year ago.

[edit]
Another shot.
P9166085-1k.jpg

Last edited:
Hollow - I grew up near Alton so know the Watercress line really well, I like the sepia processing.

Lovely shot Donal. I really like the processing.

Thank you Bill. I tend to be far too set in my ways with my processing. I need to experiment more.

The processing works nicely. Good leading lines too.

Thanks. I'm only just beginning to see them when I take the photos.

Hollow - I grew up near Alton so know the Watercress line really well, I like the sepia processing.

Thank you. It's a really beautiful area. Lots of gentle hills and walks.

Week 42, Forgotten

I've been struggling with a couple of the topics, so if it's OK, I'm just going to skip them and fill in the missing weeks as and when.
Today, I went to Brookwood Military Cemetary. There was some beautiful sunshine when I left home, but 15mins later it started to cloud over. I might go back tomorrow!!

Anyway, Lest we forget...

I tried a few shots with these fallen leaves, but I haven't quite managed a good shot. The Autumn colours looked fantastic.

PA218069-1k.jpg

This one came out better, so this is my "Forgotten" shot. This is the Canadian section of the cemetary.

PA218037-1k.jpg

[edit] - Wrong export on Affinity. "Bilinear" option makes images fuzzy!

Last edited:
No2 is the better shot. I hope they are not forgotten.

Good shots Donal, I had a couple of weeks that where life got in the way as well. I just decided to pretend that I completed them and carried on.

Hi Donal.
I've moved your data back to the Current section of the scrolls.
Could you double check that I have you up to date (I'm not sure I do as I don't recall seeing that Copper Top in the main thread.

I think I may have gone with the first of the two shots you've used for Forgotten, because it feels slightly more unusual.

With the sepia shot of 5239, I think I agree with Dave, I would have cloned the cars out (or cropped down slightly). It is quite unusual to see cars in that field though. The Grimy Wet & Rusty loco will be at the MHR until the end of the Christmas Lights events and then it's back off to Devon as far as I've heard.

Hi Donal.
I've moved your data back to the Current section of the scrolls.
Could you double check that I have you up to date (I'm not sure I do as I don't recall seeing that Copper Top in the main thread.

I think I may have gone with the first of the two shots you've used for Forgotten, because it feels slightly more unusual.

With the sepia shot of 5239, I think I agree with Dave, I would have cloned the cars out (or cropped down slightly). It is quite unusual to see cars in that field though. The Grimy Wet & Rusty loco will be at the MHR until the end of the Christmas Lights events and then it's back off to Devon as far as I've heard.

Hi Tim,
Sorry for creating work for you - and for putting them up in the wrong order.
I've got a few more to process. If it is easier, I can just add links into my original post at the top of page 1 in a week or two??? I've got 3 or 4 more, at least, to post, but it might take a couple of weeks!

Don't worry if you've chosen the first shot above. That was a better shot for me, as I haven't done much like that before. It's a "learning" shot, and as such, I'm very pleased with it. However, I try to pick the one that I think others will like best.

I did try cropping the cars out of the sepia shot, but it ruined the photo. Ideally, I would have had more space above the tracks, but there was even more clutter. I did clone the cars out after reading other comments, and the photo looks much better.

Week 41 - Upright

Just one! The light caught these in a way that made them look very upright!

PA228178-1k.jpg

Sorry for creating work for you - and for putting them up in the wrong order.
Hey, no worries, it isn't any more work (and have you seen how badly ordered my shots are!), I'm just saying once you've caught up, could you double check I have all of them ticked off in case I miss any :)
Don't worry if you've chosen the first shot above. That was a better shot for me, as I haven't done much like that before. It's a "learning" shot, and as such, I'm very pleased with it. However, I try to pick the one that I think others will like best.
Learning is good. And any critique needs to be explained :)
I would say though, this is a personal project, so picking the one you like, rather than trying to please others, is the way to go.
I did try cropping the cars out of the sepia shot, but it ruined the photo. Ideally, I would have had more space above the tracks, but there was even more clutter. I did clone the cars out after reading other comments, and the photo looks much better.
Fair enough. :)
I wonder what the cars were doing there. It's the miniature railway in that field not parking (they should be parking off of Bighton Hill.

Hey, no worries, it isn't any more work (and have you seen how badly ordered my shots are!), I'm just saying once you've caught up, could you double check I have all of them ticked off in case I miss any :)

I'll do that!

Learning is good. And any critique needs to be explained :)
I would say though, this is a personal project, so picking the one you like, rather than trying to please others, is the way to go.

Fair enough. :)
I wonder what the cars were doing there. It's the miniature railway in that field not parking (they should be parking off of Bighton Hill.

Now that you mention it. there was something happening in that field. I can't remember what it was, but the usual car parks had plenty of space - one of the reasons that I like it there.

Nice shots Donal.Like both the forgotten shots and upright is very dramatic!

Last weekend I caught some aliens trying to beam someone up into their spaceship. I thought to myself "Cheeky sods, they're trying to take him captive!"

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!

:)

PB048883-1k.jpg

As shoehorns go, that's pretty inventive; it's a clever picture too.

A bit of catch up! The first 2 were taken during the relevant weeks. The last one was taken today. For some weird reason, I thought that "Urban" was last weeks topic!!!!

First up is Week 28 "Unsightly". The interior of this shop was an unsightly mess, and I hoped that the windows would add interest. This was taken on Holiday in Altea, which is a place that I have become very fond of.
P7191680-1k.jpg

Next up is Week 29 "Pretty".
I was sitting near the seafront in Altea when these 2 ladies came walking along. Clearly, they were feeling Pretty, and I agreed!
P7223202-1k.jpg

Last up is Week 36 "Urban", which I took today.

PB120286-1k.jpg

I love your rainbow shot Donal!

Thank you Simon.

That shopping centre could do with knocking down and starting again, it's very 60's run down.
It could, couldn't it?
It's in the middle of an estate that used to be almost a no-go area, about 15-20 years ago. Most of the homes were sold off by the council (20-30 years ago) and the whole place has been transformed - apart from the shops. The rest of the area is very pleasant now.

Love the rainbow shot.. well captured. A nice set of catch up shots too.

Back